Semi-Final Games, November 11, 2018

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Nissan rankings

I cannot agree that Calgary is #4.

2018-11-06_0625.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Header_CFLPowerRankings

1. Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Record: 10-8
Last Week: 1
The Bombers had only one vested interest in their season finale, which was getting out of Edmonton healthy. They did, and the week of rest can only help Matt Nichols, Andrew Harris and Weston Dressler, especially against a Riders team coming off a season-ending bye week. After back-to-back exits in the Western Semi-Final, Sunday’s trip to Regina will be a defining game for the Kyle Walters-Mike O’Shea era.

2. Saskatchewan Roughriders
Record: 12-6
Last Week: 2
Sure, winning the West would have been nice, but the first home playoff game at new Mosaic Stadium will still be an incredible moment for the Riders and their fans. Led by the CFL’s top-ranked defence, Sunday will be everything that was envisioned when Chris Jones took over as emperor of the Green and White. The Riders are a legitimate contender, and the arrow is only pointing up.

3. Ottawa REDBLACKS
Record: 11-7
Last Week: 3
Just one victory away from attending their third Grey Cup in four years, the REDBLACKS have to feel good about themselves heading into the playoffs. Noel Thorpe’s defence is beginning to show its teeth, while Trevor Harris is playing some of the best football of his career, completing 76.7 per cent of his passes with 11 touchdowns and just two interceptions over his last six starts. This team is legit.

4. Calgary Stampeders
Record: 13-5
Last Week: 4
The Stamps avoided the nightmare scenario, getting their makeshift receiving corps on track in a 26-9 win over the BC Lions to seal up the West. As average as Dave Dickenson’s team has looked the last two months, no one is looking forward to visiting McMahon in mid November. Rest, coaching, and perhaps a few healthy bodies (DaVaris Daniels, potentially?) give the Red and White some much-needed comfort.

5. BC Lions
Record: 9-9
Last Week: 5
After tearing up the league for seven weeks, BC looked lost throughout back-to-back defeats at the hands of the Riders and Stamps. Running the gauntlet in the East will be challenging, especially for a club that’s 2-7 on the road this season, but never count out Travis Lulay and Wally Buono. With a rejuvenated ground game and opportunistic defence, the Lions really are the dark horse of the 2018 playoffs.

6. Hamilton Tiger-Cats
Record: 8-10
Last Week: 6
Can the Ticats embrace the underdog role? Prognosticators aren’t giving this team the time of day, but the pieces are there to make a run. The defence, with a healthy Delvin Breaux, has given opponents fits all season, while Jeremiah Masoli is one of the most exciting and unpredictable quarterbacks in the CFL. There’s no team more dangerous than one with nothing to lose.

7. Edmonton Eskimos
Record: 9-9
Last Week: 7
These are uncomfortable moments for Coach Jason Maas and GM Brock Sunderland, who will look in the mirror and wonder just what went wrong in a disappointing 2018 campaign. For those outside, the focus quickly turns to Mike Reilly, whose expiring contract will be one of the off-season’s biggest topics. If the Esks can bring him back, they’ll still be a contender in 2019.

8. Montreal Alouettes
Record: 5-13
Last Week: 8
The second half of the season has been good to the Alouettes, with a 4-5 record and, more importantly, some obvious progression from their young core. Eugene Lewis and William Stanback are budding stars you can build around, while Antonio Pipkin and Johnny Manziel give the club an exciting starting point behind centre going into camp next year. There’s a feeling of cautious optimism.

9. Toronto Argonauts
Record: 4-14
Last Week: 9
Surprising as it was, the Argos wasted no time making the first big shakeup of the off-season, dismissing Head Coach Marc Trestman hours after their season. ‘Misalignment’ was the word used to describe some of the issues in a season that just didn’t go the Argos’ way. Whatever the case, GM Jim Popp has a chance to start fresh, perhaps with one of several young, energetic coaching candidates around the league.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Until this past Sunday, I hadn't realized that the 11th was going to be a Sunday. Veteran's day in the USA seems to always be an afterthought from what I see on their TV.

It is odd to schedule this date for playoffs.

BUT I suspect it's to do with all TSN scheduling and not so much the CFL preferences as TSN has more than just the CFL to account for.

We've been going to Remembrance Day events in Coquitlam recently as my brother in law is with the Legion and our nephew was in the parade two years as a recent veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces. What I've liked is that kids are coming out with families. Schools must be doing something right.

Now I see I'll have a dilemma Sunday as my wife won't be happy with me if I stay home. I'll have to record.

Having said that I normally watch the events from Ottawa on TV.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

West Semi WPG at SASK:

I can't believe Zach Collaros is okay at all. He's one hit from no career and I suspect he's passing the protocol on a wish and a prayer or whatever that saying is.

Bombers over Riders if the WPG offence is good and their DEF does its job.

Riders win only if they get a miracle with points off the Special Teams and their DEF.

Crossover ----BC at HAM:

Heart wants to take the Lions but what a tough call. Lions O and D limping into the playoffs after a schooling by the Stampeders doesn't bode well for BC.

Special Teams:

Wally has somehow coached the special out of the Special Teams return game to the point that was unimaginable when they selected Jeff Reinebold as ST coach. Returner looks like he's in a witness protection program and afraid to walk around the block. Get's handshakes for running 'er up behind the blocking short of the 35 yd post a FG!!!

Defence:

What team will show up here? If it's the one vs Stamps. It's going to be a long day.

Offence:

What team will show up here? If it's the one vs Stamps. It's going to be a long day.

Logo Trashing and Team Culture

That will fire up both the fans and the Cats again. They whupped the Lions after that incident and that won't soon be forgotten. Talk about just mailing it in that last game in Steeltown!!! What a way to fold. But that speaks to the wrong culture in this team. Don't know who/where or what but when leaders like Lulay make note of this - something's not right here.

Imagine a team with a history of dancing on logos of other teams' where the coaching staff is not aware of this team rookie initiation rite!!! You got it - unimaginable!

Good news:

Banks is out and since that game, the Ticats offence looks as effective as Angelo Mosca using his cane to combat Joe Kapp's fists.

Lions win if the team that's won at home turns up and if the Cats have no offence. BUT the Ticats can run - BC hmm - jury is out.
squishy35
Legend

According to Farhan it is very likely that Sol E will be playing this weekend:

https://www.tsn.ca/lions-lb-elimimian-c ... -1.1205161
squishy35
Legend

Confirmed by 3downnation.com that Sol E is taking first reps at practice;
http://3downnation.com/2018/11/06/lions ... ured-list/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I’ll take a rusty Solomon Elimimian over a rusty Micah Awe at MLB.

I hope Chris Rainey plays. Opponents consider him the most dangerous Lion. I’m not sure why the coaches don’t seem to have much confidence in him.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:22 pm
I’ll take a rusty Solomon Elimimian over a rusty Micah Awe at MLB.

I hope Chris Rainey plays. Opponents consider him the most dangerous Lion. I’m not sure why the coaches don’t seem to have much confidence in him.
About Chris Rainey -- I can't speak to past reasons (re coaches lacking confidence in him) but it must be so frustrating for everybody involved, including him! The current reason might possibly involve an injury -- if I'm not misinterpreting LU's reference to "an ailing Chris Rainey" (see link to today's 3DownN article) being a contributing reason as to why they've been toying with activating JJ24 (for special teams and also a possible extra punch in the backfield). But LU's wording is vague, and without explanation, as I hadn't heard of an injury so perhaps Rainey's just been under the weather. Dunno.
http://3downnation.com/2018/11/06/lions ... es-sunday/
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Is it time for the divisional playoff format to end as Esks at 9 and 9 sit out while the 8 and 10 Ticats are in the playoffs ?

http://3downnation.com/2018/11/06/will- ... ff-format/
The rule gives a fourth-place team a crossover playoff spot when the club finishes with more points than the third-place team in the other division. It happened again this year when the B.C. Lions (9-9) finished with a better record than the 5-13 Montreal Alouettes, who were third in the East.

However, for the first time in the rule’s history, the Edmonton Eskimos – who were at the bottom of the five-team West at 9-9 – missed the playoffs despite owning a better record than both the Alouettes and the East’s second-place team, the 8-10 Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:15 pm
Is it time for the divisional playoff format to end as Esks at 9 and 9 sit out while the 8 and 10 Ticats are in the playoffs ?

http://3downnation.com/2018/11/06/will- ... ff-format/
The rule gives a fourth-place team a crossover playoff spot when the club finishes with more points than the third-place team in the other division. It happened again this year when the B.C. Lions (9-9) finished with a better record than the 5-13 Montreal Alouettes, who were third in the East.

However, for the first time in the rule’s history, the Edmonton Eskimos – who were at the bottom of the five-team West at 9-9 – missed the playoffs despite owning a better record than both the Alouettes and the East’s second-place team, the 8-10 Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
its only a 1 game diff and if they needed to, Ham could and probably would have won their last game, making it all moot.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
KnightofCydonia
Starter

WPG @ SSK - Bombers. They've looked really sharp in the last part of the season. 'Riders will have home field advantage but Collaros is a big question mark. I think it'll be a close game though. I personally will be cheering on Winnipeg - I like Mike O'Shea, Andrew Harris, and Biggie (and I'm not a fan of Chris Jones).

BC @ HAM - Tiger-cats, as much as I hate to say it. I think the game will be like our last head-to-head - one-sided. Lulay hasn't looked sharp, our offensive scheme continues to stink, our defense is too easily exploited especially against the run, and special teams hasn't had the same spark it had in the early season for a while now.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/11/04/numbers-d ... tern-semi/
NUMBERS DON’T LIE: 3 STATS THAT WILL DEFINE THE EASTERN SEMI

CFL.CA STAFF

HAMILTON — It’s a new month and a fresh start in the Canadian Football League, with six teams setting their sights on the 106th Grey Cup presented by Shaw.

While anyone can win, the last 21 weeks on the CFL calendar have provided plenty to think about as we head into the post-season.

It’s been an unlikely collision course for the Lions and Ticats, who meet in the Eastern Semi-Final as a result of the crossover. Sunday’s meeting at Tim Hortons Field offers some other twists and turns, as the Tabbies try to win without Brandon Banks, while Lions starting quarterback Travis Lulay has yet to face Hamilton this season.

What will be the difference in Sunday’s cross-division clash? CFL.ca breaks it down in the latest ‘numbers don’t lie’.

1. Clash of the CFL’s top pass defences
The Headline: Tim Hortons a ‘no fly zone’

The Number: 247.5 (Average passing yards allowed by the Ticats and Lions)

Don’t expect there to be an air show on Sunday at Tim Hortons Field, as this year’s Eastern Semi features two of the league’s stingier defences against the pass.

The Lions (247.2) and Ticats (247.7) rank second and third respectively in the CFL in passing yards allowed, with a total of just 0.5 yards per game separating them.

A large part of the Ticats’ success in their first year under defensive coordinator Jerry Glanville has been defensive back Delvin Breaux, a rare shutdown corner in the CFL who opposing quarterbacks awkwardly try to avoid. Breaux returned from the NFL after playing for the New Orleans Saints, but hasn’t missed a beat back in the black and gold.

On the other side, the Lions’ secondary has been one of the biggest surprises of the 2018 season. General Manager Ed Hervey rebuilt the group almost from scratch in his first off-season in BC, with T.J. Lee and Anthony Thompson as the only returning starters. Anthony Orange, Garry Peters and Winston Rose have become bonafide starters, helping the Lions’ pass defence rank near the top of the league in virtually every category.

Add in the possibility of the cold, windy weather that November usually brings to the Hammer, and it’s easy to predict that the quarterbacks could be in for a tough time.

2. Lions prey on sacks, interceptions
The Headline: Feeding time in the den

The Number: 45 sacks, 21 interceptions (Lions lead CFL in both categories)

The Lions’ success on defence has come largely through the ability to create pressure and force turnovers, as evidenced by the team’s league-leading 45 sacks and 21 interceptions this season.

Mid-season acquisition Shawn Lemon has certainly played a role, the former Argonaut recording 10 of his 11 sacks since the trade while forming one of the CFL’s most feared pass-rushing duos along with Odell Willis. Add in a ball-hawking defence, featuring interception co-leaders Anthony Orange and Winston Rose with five each, and you can see why this unit poses problems for opponents.

It’s something Ticats pivot Jeremiah Masoli will certainly have in mind when these teams meet on Sunday. Masoli has taken better care of the football of late, but is still tied for a league-high 18 interceptions in 2018. For a Ticats team that’s turned the football over 41 times this season — tied for the third-most in the CFL — avoiding mistakes will be key on the offensive side of the ball.

If this year’s head-to-head contests have any bearing, the Ticats are in good shape. They’ve won the turnover battle 6-2 in two games against the Lions, a trend they’ll hope to continue this week. Either way, it’s a stat that will go a long way in determining who moves on and who goes home.

3. Can Sutton rejuvenate Lions’ run game?
The Headline: Pound that rock!

The Number: 94.4 (Lions’ rushing yards per game, the second-worst in the CFL)

The BC Lions made the playoffs despite ranking near the bottom of the league in run production, averaging just 94.4 yards on the ground per game — 0.4 yards per game better than last-place Ottawa.

However, the Lions’ ground game has a new look heading into the post-season. The acquisition of Tyrell Sutton has certainly made an impact, the veteran back rushing for 203 yards and two touchdowns on 38 carries (5.3 yards per attempt) in season-saving wins over the Stamps and Eskimos.

The Lions need to establish the run more consistently in the post-season to balance out an offence that’s also capable of stretching the field vertically thanks to the addition of speedy receiver DeVier Posey.

With a tough matchup against the CFL’s stingiest secondary, the Lions’ offence will almost certainly look to exploit a Hamilton run defence that ranks near the CFL basement, allowing opponents an average of 5.4 yards per attempt. The Lions brought in Sutton knowing he’s a tough, physical inside runner, favouring him over the previous starter Jeremiah Johnson.

Not to be forgotten, Ticats running back Alex Green will make for an intriguing head-to-head against Sutton. Green had 604 yards and seven touchdowns in just eight games this season and has been remarkably productive throughout his career, combining for 13 touchdowns in 14 career contests.

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

A lot of writers seem to make note of Ti-Cat RB Alex Green, and quite rightly, as he's a big strong and agile fellow -- but our Leos better be well aware of the ever-scampering John White IV. That little guy has elusive moves a-plenty and a revving motor -- his high-stepping bursts have hurt us previously and can again. He always worries me.

Those two backs can do some damage. Could be devastating for us if we don't defend the run better than we've been doing. And while I'd welcome Sol-E back, here's hoping he's busy shaking his rust off or he'll be in chase mode come Sunday. Worry, worry, worry... LOL.

On the other hand it's nice to speculate on what damage our own tandem might do if in fact we go with Sutton and JJ24, which I've heard mentioned as a possibility -- based on observed reps in practice. Up-the-gut Sutton and slanting n' skirting JJ. Okay!
Riderfan67
Rookie

I am cheering for your Lions to beat the wounded TigerCats and I understand how some on here are upset with the scheduling against rememberce day . A Saturday game could have solved it IMO .
The West semi I am gonna be cheering loudly from my seasons seats at New Mosaic , Nichols gets rattled easily and if the Riders D can get him Rattled we should dominate the Bomber O , the game will be won on the line of scrimmage no doubt and stopping Harris in his tracks is key ! Once we do that the Bombers will have to abandon the run .
For the record I hold no Il will towards O’Dell I understand he was just playing football , at the same time I’m sure glad Zach is ok .

Go Riders , Go Lions
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I hope Lions win too, but to be honest I will be surprised if they win. I hope the game is competitive and comes down to the wire. I do not think I can handle another game where Lions fall behind 14 to 0 or more again by end of the first quarter and score 6 or fewer points by the half and way behind.

I think Riders will beat the Bombers because they are playing at home.