Firings and Hirings

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

With a ban on CFL news during Grey Cup week I expect there to be some firings coming this week. Trestman was the first to go? Who is next?

I think Maas and if not him, some of his assistant coaches.
Last edited by JohnnyMusso on Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

I'm hoping Ed Hervey doesn't bring over everyone from Edmonton. It reminds me of when Kapp came in as GM and hired Lary Kuharich, who then brought in Larry Willis, Emanuel Tolbert and some others. Guys I never wanted to cheer FOR! :)

I don't want Maas here as coach and a bunch of Eskimos. Everyone talks like Reilly is coming here. I could handle it better since he started here. I don't know, maybe it's just Maas I don't want. Trestman sounds intriguing for sure, but would Hervey want him?
Farhan is pretty sure neither Jennings or Lulay will be back here. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
The_Pauser
Legend

I wouldn't be surprised if whomever Hervey hires as coach comes in and cleans house with our coaching staff. Whoever comes in is going to want his own guys in there, I'd be shocked if someone came in and kept his inherited staff. Further to that, I'd be shocked if we just got a simple promotion from the current staff. That doesn't seem to be Hervey's MO. He's made a lot of changes since he got here, and with further changes expected including fan favourites Lulay, Jennings, JJ24, and Rainey I just don't see him sticking with who we currently have.

This is going to be a very different looking BC Lions next year, so no matter what happens this Sunday we have exciting times ahead. At this point I would be stunned if we don't sign Mike Reilly. He's coming here.

For head coach? I have no idea. I don't know that it's a slam dunk he would go to Maas. I think Trestman will get some consideration, but I also wouldn't at all be surprised to see him take at least the year off. With his family health issues it's hard for me to see him moving to a different city to continue coaching.
Roar you Lions roar!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am not sure that Ed's public criticism of Jennings automatically means Jennings is gone. Ed, when he was GM of the Esks, publicly criticized Rottier but he stayed with the team and IIRC eventually went on to be an all star.

In his post game interview Wally noted that Jennings played pretty well in the last 2 games.

Myself, I believe that Jennings will do well in a different Offensive system and will eventually be a productive starter with the Lions or elsewhere.

I also think that Reilly and Lulay will get together and both decide to stay put.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Though there is a possibility that Washington may be promoted, I too have a feeling Hervey will hire a coach from another organization and most if not all the coaching staff will be fired, unless the Lions manage somehow to win the Grey Cup.

But if they lose on Sunday and lose big, some of the coaching staff may be fired even before a new coach is hired. My feeling is the coach will come from one of the 2 teams in the Grey Cup.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Looks like they may be no more firings for awhile and if some just assistant coaches. Maas is coming back and I expect him to bring back his whole staff. Sherman is back too as well as Kavis Reed. Looks like it will be quiet until after the Grey Cup.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Eskimos fired 4 assistants:

The club also announced that four members of its coaching staff will not return to the coaching staff in offensive quality controller Kelly Bates, special teams coordinator Dave Jackson, receivers coach DJ McCarthy and defensive quality controller Rob Payne.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:14 pm

The club also announced that four members of its coaching staff will not return to the coaching staff in offensive quality controller Kelly Bates, special teams coordinator Dave Jackson, receivers coach DJ McCarthy and defensive quality controller Rob Payne.
So Maas and Benevides survive. I thought they were the problem.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:

So Maas and Benevides survive. I thought they were the problem.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:

receivers coach? Seems to me QB and Receivers were the only non problems.

What are Quality controllers as relates to football team?

How does o-line coach stick around?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

KnowItAll wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:42 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:

Jackson was in an interim role after they fired McDiarmid after the 30-3 loss to Winnipeg. He was the only one of the four who were with Edmonton last year. This was his second year on Maas' staff. He was Special Teams Assistant in 2017 reporting to McDiarmid; same as this year until he assumed McDiarmid's role for the last 4 games. The rest were new this year. You can't assume "not returning" = fired. There is always high turnover in lower level positions. As often as not these guys are on one year contracts and move on of their own choice.

Another thing to consider is the apparent new football ops cap. Guys holding QC positions such as Bates and Payne could find themselves out of work purely as victims of teams having to adjust to a cap system. Seems to me those positions would be very vulnerable to "right-sizing" of football ops costs. This past season was the first time Edmonton had QC coaches.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Those in Eskville who are accountable stay while those who haven't the control get fired. I thought for sure Benny would be toast.

They might be freeing up cash for a new OC as Maas seems to be suggesting he could drop it. Translation: He was given an order to focus on HC - or so I suspect.

Feel bad for Kelly Bates.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

KnowItAll wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:42 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:

My understanding of Quality Control is that it is a junior position. The QC basically prepares game"film" so when players have their position group meetings specially prepared video clips are presented for evaluation.

I have always been a Kelly Bates fan and so I hope he ends up with the new Lions staff.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

DanoT wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:06 am

I have always been a Kelly Bates fan and so I hope he ends up with the new Lions staff.
Yes, agreed. I was thinking the same. It was unfortunate Bates wasn't kept in the Lions organization. It's been a confusing career trajectory though, to see him of late as a Quality Control guy after having spent 3--4 years as a Position Coach with the Lions, and then a couple more recent years as SFU Head Coach. Not likely how he'd have wished to script it. It would be good to see him back here in some capacity.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Regardless of who is a free agent or not, if I was to rank the QBs in order of who I would want it would look like this:

1A - Bo Levi Mitchell
1B - Mike Reilly
2 - Healthy Travis Lulay
3 - Jeremiah Masoli
4 - Trevor Harris
5 - Chris Strevler
6- Jonathan Jennings

Now the reason, I posted that list is not debate who the best QB is, but to look at what the landscape looks like for the Lions. BLM is either going to be in the NFL or back in Calgary (unless MLSE goes nuts and offers him a ton of money). Reilly is going to be the big fish of free agency. Edmonton says Maas stays, likely to improve their odds of signing Reilly more than anything. I think Hervey is going to go all out to sign Reilly. And that is likely going to result in Lulay and Jennings twisting in the wind. So what happens if Hervey's dream doesn't come true? Where will the Lions be come May if Lulay and Jennings are signed elsewhere and Reilly is not coming to BC?

Jennings could be a bargain after a disappointing season. He may be available cheap enough to be the backup for Reilly, if BC wins the free agent sweepstakes. I doubt any team is going to sign him to be their declared #1 QB, but he's a guy who cold win a starting job in training camp or due to injury and be very successful.