Lions 31 - Eskimos 23, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:40 am
Why I bring up 2011 is that last night perhaps we saw a similar transformation with Mark Washington? That performance in the final 30 minutes by the Lions defence was the best effort we have seen in a long, long time. Perhaps the best showing by our defence since Washington become the DC in 2014.
This year's defence has a lot of parallels to the 2011 team. That team ranked last in yards allowed and just about every defensive category through 5 games. Some key personnel changes transformed the team into one of the the best defences in the league for the final two-thirds of the season.

One point that was mentioned in the postgame show on TSN 1040 was that the 3 points in the Eskimos scored in the second half last night were the first points given up by the Lions in the second half at home this year. They've outscored Montreal, Winnipeg and Edmonton by a combined total of 54-3 in the second half of their three home games. The main reason seems to be a more aggressive defensive scheme. If they can extend that strategy for a full 60 minutes at home and on the road they can be a dominant defence.

Otha Foster, Garry Peters and Winston Rose all had strong games against Edmonton's dangerous receiving corps. I'd rather see B.C. DBs matched up against Edmonton's top receivers than see them sit in a soft zone and and wait to break on the ball in the air.
Roar87
prospect

I'm actually not as impressed with Lulay as a few of you seem to be. I think we won in spite of him last night, he made some terribly reads and simply needs to be better.

Very happy with how our defense played however, and I can't remember to many games in the past few years where our line looked that good.

Player of the game for me was Otha Foster III. All over the field. sack, fumble, fumble recovery, huge tip on the intereception and most importantly he was great open field tackling.... Running around out there in #31 sure reminded me of someone...

side note: Thought as a whole the officiating was pretty good last night, aside from #46.... that guy was an absolute horror show.

BIG win though, could have been it I think if they let that one sleep away. String of winnable games coming up now. Let's go!
maxlion
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
And I am not about to jump on any Washington bandwagon either. But, maybe... hopefully... we saw his "come to Jesus" moment last night and our defence will begin to play up to the potential of the players.
Looking at his twitter feed, I think he has had plenty of these moments already! :wink:
Figaro
Rookie

Rainey's return was a thing of beauty. The TSN crew said it was his first return for a touchdown this year - they should have added, "That wasn't called back because of penalty."

Otha Foster had a complete game - his sack, strip and recovery was an amazing play, he was so low to the ground as he went around and under the tackle like James Harrison - he also had a tip that led to Rose's interception.

I was impressed by Van. Having seen next to no action all year he rips off some nice runs when we needed them - and add in his kick return to the Edmonton side of the field.

Lulay is a competitor who is never off his game - fiery hot as a red-head but always cool in getting to the next play. His arm looks stronger than earlier in his career.

The O-line played well - not purrfect. Some of Lulay's hits were a result of the complex length of the passing routes and not the o-line. They had trouble with the 5 and even 6 man blitz. I couldn't believe that Benny actually sent a 6 man blitz - twice! Guards had some difficulty - where is Vaillancourt - he was on the six-game list and this is game 7.

What happened to our DB's in the second half? They were flying to the ball, getting knockdowns and interceptions. Reilly shredded them in the first game and was frustrated by them in this game. Hats off to a much-maligned crew.

Herdman could start for any team in the league - where does he play when Solly returns - I believe he has earned a spot with his play - would they move him to OLB in Davis' spot? He seems better against the run and iffy against the pass.

This game could be seen as a turn the season around type of game - maintain focus and intensity and not wait for the second half to bring it. Another thing I really noticed on defense was the improvement of our tackling - earlier in the season, opponents bounced off tackles for more of Suitor's favorite term: YAC yards. In this game, for the most part, our tackling stopped 'em dead.

And speaking of Suitor and company - I thought one of the big deals about Thursday night games was the mics placed on coaches and players - that these mics were to take us to the sidelines and into the huddle etc. Someone should tell the guys calling the game to be quiet and not talk over the mics on players etc. Too many times as I was trying to listen for the exchange from coaches to players and vice versa they were busy talking - it was like listening to an important conversation while a louder less important conversation was drowning it out. On 'mic' games they should back off and let us hear the interaction on the field.

As far as 1040 and Don Taylor - I no longer listen because of the reasons others have cited. Terrible sports radio.

All in all - the best Lion game in the last two years - now let's all help others up onto the band wagon.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Watched the game again this morning. Major props to the defence and adjustments made by Mark Washington after what looked like would be another long night. Peters did some serious balling.

Lots of props for Peters, Lee and Rose. Rightfully so but hardly heard Anthony Orange name called so he must have been lights out on the short corner.

You have to show your fan base and even the casuals who are capable of knocking of the top teams. They have had some success with the Bombers in recent years but very little to none against the Alberta teams. Lose last night and I don't think wins over Toronto and Riders in next 2 weeks would have won many over.

Did they put a microphone on Wally? Hardly heard anything from him. Way more from Mass. Was everything laced with profanity?

Wally needs to stop playing mind games with his players. Allows Long to kick (and hit) and 51-yard FG to tie the game in the 3rd but not a 52-yarder late that would have all but iced the outcome. Again he fears the worst instead of showing confidence in his kicker. Yet if it was a 52-yarder to tie or win the game later he for certain would have been asked to kick it.
Long has a huge leg and a coach doing his best to hold him back. I know they are pros so suck it up but you wonder what Long is thinking when the coach shows little faith in that situation.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

In fairness to the Moj, as it was game day it was Don Taylor on the call from Henry Burris and some other guy. Not sure who it was.

I used to like the MOJ on 1040 back in the day when he was solo. Then he was always having guests on and he'd interview them - but gradually for some reasons, it started to fade and they put him back with other broadcasters. In the solo days the Moj would make things like talking to some boxing expert interesting as his questions were well thought out and he 'd be getting good stories from them.

Yesterday with Burris on the line - they had no list of questions it seemed and going to Manziel so quickly was brutal as he was clearly on to pump that night's game. Yes, it was interesting the part where Taylor did ask him about his life in broadcasting and Burris spoke to his degree and his off season pursuits of media to prep him for the day he'd have to retire.

Yes, it was nice to know his thought's on Manziel which were mixed and not effusive with praise. He noted that he was rushed into battle and how Vernon Adams did all of what Manziel did in scrambling etc but likely just 4000 cheered but when JM did it, he got a standing O.

I'd have thought that TSN would have guidelines for these calls where they go to the guy's view on the Lions and Esks clash to get some sitting on the fence on going like me - to get out the door and buy tickets!

But mindless talk on running shoes from yesteryear drove me nuts.

When Suitor or Guilio come on at other times, it's clear they can't wait to get some other topic.

Post game show last night - kudos to the football crew in getting Lion players on in good interview situations as well as locals like Farhan who know the CFL and the Lions.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 am

Wally needs to stop playing mind games with his players. Allows Long to kick (and hit) and 51-yard FG to tie the game in the 3rd but not a 52-yarder late that would have all but iced the outcome.
I can't believe I am actually defending Wally's decision making twice in one game, but I agree with not trying a 52 yard field goal.
Long's longest kick prior to last night was 46 yards. So there is no evidence he is the second coming of robo-kicker from 50+, yet.

You don't have downfield coverage on a FG attempt the way you do on a punt. That's why we see so many missed FG attempts result in huge returns or touchdowns. By punting you most likely pin the Eskimos deep. Or, if you punt for a single it is not a disaster either. But miss a FG and you could be giving Edmonton the ball in great field position, or worse giving up a game tying return.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Release the writer in all the Lions' sports fans. Ha ha Outstanding comments. A pleasure to read. :thup:

The comments match the performance of the team in the second half.

Lulay's stats don't look great. IMO all he did was take a team ready to pack it in, put them on his back, and lead them to victory. That was a very tough Eskimo team we came back to beat.

We take the lead on a pass to Burnham. Holding penalty. Then, of all the things Lulay did so well, under incredible pressure, he floats one over the RB's head to a defender, who hightails it down the field. Lulay ran him down and made the tackle. Lulay knows he is favored by fate to even get this chance to play again. He is loving every minute of it. Fire and ice, as I noted in a previous post-game comments thread.

Down 10 points at the half. Lulay leads them back. The defence catches the spirit. And it is game on.

It got a bit hairy at the end. Game calls, decisions, can be debated. Reilly came within a whisker of bringing the Schmos back. Peters makes the play. And it was over. Over and awesome. One could add it to the Legend of Lulay. IMO. Benevides was full of praise for Lulay prior to the game. Rightly so.

This fan likes seeing Hervey on the sideline lending his spirit to the affair. He seems strong, but also calm. He gives support to Elliott, who is beside himself, after letting the ball slip away in the endzone, after a nice catch.

Lulay and Reilly. There are a couple of field generals one can follow into battle. Reilly and another Eskimo are questioning a referee. Reilly tells the other Eskimo: "I've got this," and sends him away. LOL Reilly scores on a QB sneak. Coleman or another DL is trying to rip the ball out. Reilly says: "Good job. It's over." And the struggle ends.

Might look at some film later. Lots of good stuff mixed in with some bad.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:18 pm
I can't believe I am actually defending Wally's decision making twice in one game, but I agree with not trying a 52 yard field goal.
Long's longest kick prior to last night was 46 yards. So there is no evidence he is the second coming of robo-kicker from 50+, yet.
The ball was on the Edmonton 44 yard line, so it would have been a 51-yarder, the exact same placement as when Long kicked a 51-yarder in the third quarter. Long was 3 for 3 to that point last night, including the 51-yarder, and he's a purrfect 4 for 4 from 50 or 51 yards in the past two years. He also ranks second in the league in kickoff average at 68.8 yards (adjusted for onside kick attempts) and 66.8 yards overall. The problem isn't his leg strength or accuracy; it's Wally's conservativism.

Punting for a single and an 8-point lead is a marginal advantage compared to kicking a field goal for a 10-point lead. Even if the Lions had tried the long field goal and missed, there is a good chance they would have been able to pin the Esks inside their own 35-yard line with a 7-point margin on the scoreboard instead of giving them the ball on the 35 with an 8-point margin. The risk was small compared to the potential reward.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
Why I bring up 2011 is that last night perhaps we saw a similar transformation with Mark Washington? That performance in the final 30 minutes by the Lions defence was the best effort we have seen in a long, long time. Perhaps the best showing by our defence since Washington become the DC in 2014.

Now I was never a fan of The Chap, not even in 2011/2012 when our offence was one of the best in the league. And I am not about to jump on any Washington bandwagon either. But, maybe... hopefully... we saw his "come to Jesus" moment last night and our defence will begin to play up to the potential of the players. Let just hope it was not a half-game wonder.

I'll wait a few games before I jump on the Washington bandwagon. I suspect he will return to the same old, same old.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not a big fan of Moj. Every game without fail, he brings up the subject of food. Is he broadcasting a football game or doing a commentary of where's the best place to eat or drink ?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Lui05 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:02 am
Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:31 am
TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:27 am

As Wally once said "that's why we have 3 quarterbacks" :wink:
Just tuck the ball and turtle. You get injured when you scrambling or standing upright looking for an open receiver. I would much rather give Reilly the ball inside the 15 yard line with 1:07 remaining and a 7 point lead than give him the ball on the 35 yard line with 1:27 and an 8 point lead.

If the Lions had been in FG range, absolutely you throw it out of bounds. But in a punting situation you play the clock.

Of course maybe if Wally wore a head set he could tell his QB what he wants in certain situations and not expect him to be a mind reader.
I'm going side with the Lulay supporters on this one. There is no play in football that guarantees no injury. And while tuck and turtle is definitely a higher percentage than getting drilled while looking for a receiver down field, it doesn't come close to throwing it away and not getting hit at all.
I too would have preferred the ball inside the 15 yard line. But that's not Lulay's fault. Long kicked it 15 yards deep into the end zone. Even if there was a sack, he probably still would have kicked it into the end zone. He needs to learn a little finesse. I was pleased to see his attempts at pretending he was hit on a punt have stopped.
I will end with saying that I'm happy that Lulay is playing well and doing well. He deserves this success. I hope it continues. That, and I think the second half of the game may have been the best I've seen our defense play in years. It was as close to perfection as you could possibly hope for against one of the premiere quarterbacks of the league.
And the tuck/turtle crowd needs to remember that Lulay may have been thinking FG and didn't want to take the loss. He made the right play if the goal was to preserve field position. The fact that Wally chose punt and that Long can't direction kick is not Lulay's problem and it is doubtful that Wally gave that information to him prior to the play.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:18 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 am

Wally needs to stop playing mind games with his players. Allows Long to kick (and hit) and 51-yard FG to tie the game in the 3rd but not a 52-yarder late that would have all but iced the outcome.

You don't have downfield coverage on a FG attempt the way you do on a punt. That's why we see so many missed FG attempts result in huge returns or touchdowns. By punting you most likely pin the Eskimos deep. Or, if you punt for a single it is not a disaster either. But miss a FG and you could be giving Edmonton the ball in great field position, or worse giving up a game tying return.
On that punt vs FG decision I think the plan all along was to come out of it with 1 point to give them the 8 point lead. Long didn't exactly clear the bar with a lot of extra yards on the 51yarder he made so anything wide or short would have led to a return of some sort. When Long misses on a coffin corner punt attempt the ball is still usually between the sidelines and what would be the numbers if they had any in the endzone. That punt single was boomed 15 yards deep and right dow Main Street. I think he was instructed to kick it as high and deep as he could.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I'm surprised Manny and Shaq J haven't received some love.for a couple of great knockdowns of Lulay passes that surely would have been picked had they not got their hands in there. Manny's intervention allowed BC to put the first FG on the board.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:41 pm

On that punt vs FG decision I think the plan all along was to come out of it with 1 point to give them the 8 point lead. Long didn't exactly clear the bar with a lot of extra yards on the 51yarder he made so anything wide or short would have led to a return of some sort. When Long misses on a coffin corner punt attempt the ball is still usually between the sidelines and what would be the numbers if they had any in the endzone. That punt single was boomed 15 yards deep and right dow Main Street. I think he was instructed to kick it as high and deep as he could.
If an 8 point lead was the goal, then why not simply kick the extra point rather than going for 2 on the prior TD? I have long been a critic of the 2 point conversion attempts that the Lions seem to use at inappropriate times. This seemed to be just another one of those "let's try it" variety attempts without a lot of regard for the actual strategic merit of going for two.

An 8 point lead would have put pressure on the Eskimo's not withstanding but there is often a psychological deflation when you leave points on the field. We are all pretty much conditioned to expect 7 points off a TD and to think of the 2 point conversion as something done out of necessity rather than just for the heck of it. That may be dated thinking but at the end of the day, you get a TD and come away with 6 instead of 7, it feels like somehow you lost something. When you have a team with fragile confidence in a close game, it doesn't strike as the best time to take chances with points when you don't need to.

The decision for 2 points in that particular instance strikes as many Wally decisions over the years have as being somewhat devoid of logic. An 8 point lead forces the opposition to take a riskier approach to tying the game in essence dictating their actions. That is what you are supposed to do. Make the other team dance to your tune. Force them to be more aggressive and risk taking and then pounce on errors that they may make. Instead of making them think about the extra pressure to tie the game, Wally just let them carry on with the idea that all they need is one big play and the game is tied. If Wally had been a little more conventional on the earlier TD, he would have had his 8 point lead, then on the punt, the returner would have been faced with a difficult decision. Give up the single or try for a return from deep in the end zone and very likely ending up with a long field. Either option not likely too desirable. Instead, the returner takes a knee and is still within one score. Giving your opponent options is never a good thing and that is what the Lions's did (again). For Wally to be short with Lulay over the throw away later is a complete joke. The right decision earlier on wouldn't have put him in the position of having to make a choice in the spur of the moment. In essence it made the choices for our team more difficult than they needed to be and less difficult for our opposition.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.