Lions in the local media (REVIVED thread 6-10-20)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

aklawitter
All Star

RFK is a dump (they're getting their own new stadium)
Qman
Champion

dawg3648 wrote:Apparently people in D.C. were calling in Friday to ask what time the game started and the response was "what time can you get here?"... (rim shot, I'm here til Thursday)........As for MLS being a TV league...dream on....the TV numbers in Canada are horrendous and even worse in the States per capita....not sure exactly how this league survives long term, especially once the 100 mil new franchise fees dry up. Some say its one big Ponzi scheme. http://www.soccernomics-agency.com/?p=692
according to toronto FC's fan site they are expected to have an operating loss of C$21m this year with MLSE funding the loses.
Forbes estimates the caps are losing US$6million, even that was before the drop in the C$
Qman
Champion

season tix update: 17,147
seats remaining: 9,853
Qman
Champion

17,272 season tix update
seats remaining: 9728

just over one thousand left in the $720 sections (basically one-third of that is in 216, limited selection in other sections)
Qman
Champion

17443 season tickets
Seats remaining: 9557

They are selling 200ish a week right now. Given its 7 weeks to first preseason game they will hit just under 19,000 at current pace. More if the lions invest wisely in the right marketing for the may and june blitz.
squishy35
Legend

Open the Upper deck...... :D
Qman
Champion

17505 season tickets
9495 remaining seats

Midfield seats left:
On the lions side between the 35s - 15pairs left, couple 3s
On the vistor side between the 35s (below the wheelchair section) - 27pairs left, and 5 3s
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Qman wrote:17505 season tickets
9495 remaining seats

Midfield seats left:
On the vistor side between the 35s (below the wheelchair section) - 27pairs left, and 5 3s
According to Ben Kuzma, who covered the Lions' annual preseason media conference call on Tuesday, Skulsky wouldn't give out any numbers when asked about season tickets. I don't know why. If these numbers are accurate, they should be seen as good news.
Lions president Dennis Skulsky announced initiatives for season-ticket holders to broaden the fan experience but wouldn’t get into numbers, only that renewals were trending upward. He did acknowledge attendance drops, and, like anybody in the organization, can only imagine what it would mean if Jennings can take his game to another level.
Link
Qman
Champion

After watching Skulsky for past decade, he is not a marketer, he just a business guy. I would be playing this up too.

I have been watching this site for 2 months and they basically go 2 at a time, other than small group sales sec202 and sec233.
pace has slowed down a bit. noticed they seem to be working harder on converting $720s into club over past two weeks -- you'll see 2 seats reappear in $720s, then 2 club are gone. Lot of that going on.

Its a good time if your on the edges of the $720s to move closer to the middle with these club conversions releasing really good seats. why pay the same price to sit on the 25-30yd line when you could sit on the 45. Thats why i posted the numbers.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Qman wrote:After watching Skulsky for past decade, he is not a marketer, he just a business guy. I would be playing this up too.

I have been watching this site for 2 months and they basically go 2 at a time, other than small group sales sec202 and sec233.
pace has slowed down a bit. noticed they seem to be working harder on converting $720s into club over past two weeks -- you'll see 2 seats reappear in $720s, then 2 club are gone. Lot of that going on.

Its a good time if your on the edges of the $720s to move closer to the middle with these club conversions releasing really good seats. why pay the same price to sit on the 25-30yd line when you could sit on the 45. Thats why i posted the numbers.
Exactly what I did this season. Really had noticed the movement out of my old section (25-20 yard line) over the last few years. This used to be part of the old gold sections prior to the BC Place reno when they were converted to top-end coaches sideline. What was good value suddenly no longer was.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Qman wrote:17505 season tickets
9495 remaining seats

Midfield seats left:
Out of curiosity Qman how are you determining the number of remaining seats? Are you going into the Ticketmaster app from the Lions website, dragging the mouse over each section to see what it says for "Tickets Available" then adding those up? If that's the case I think your "remaining seats" number is understated. I think "available" right now means what is currently is released for sale and "unavailable" does not mean sold. Many are sold but some I believe are being held for now for a variety of reasons.

If one checks out the individual sections they will find in some areas of the stadiums curious patterns of available versus unavailable to the point I wonder if unavailable = sold or unavailable = not available just yet. Mostly it's in the corners and endzones where this occurs. Section 224 is perhaps the most extreme example. It shows 108 available, 107 of which are on one side of the aisle while all but 1 seat show as being unavailable on the other side. The pricing structure appears to be the same on both sides. There's a few areas where a block of unavailable seats seems to stick out amongst available seats or an entire row or 3 sits available while surrounded by unavailable rows.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hello, what's this?

From Vancitybuzz: "Real Football Returns": BC Lions get cheeky with Whitecaps

The commuter freebie 24hrs also had a column: Lions ‘Real Football’ banner nothing personal

Odd I couldn't find anything about this on the Sun and Province websites.

Interesting way for the Lions to make a bit of a splash; it got some folks talking on social media the last few days.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:Hello, what's this?

The commuter freebie 24hrs also had a column: Lions ‘Real Football’ banner nothing personal

Interesting way for the Lions to make a bit of a splash; it got some folks talking on social media the last few days.
Patrick Johnston of The Province and Eric MacKenzie of 24 Hours discuss the banner here:

Province Sports Radio: Can teams make their own news?
BC 1988
Legend

It was mentioned a few times on 1040 over the past few days, mainly on Sekeres-Price. They were asking listeners to call in about the differences between the two fan bases. Skulsky was low key about it when asked for a comment. ("We thought we would have some fun".) I don't think 1040 even asked the Whitecaps for a reaction. After all, they had the first dig with their ‘best sporting atmosphere in Vancouver’ slogan.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:

It was mentioned a few times on 1040 over the past few days, mainly on Sekeres-Price. They were asking listeners to call in about the differences between the two fan bases. Skulsky was low key about it when asked for a comment. ("We thought we would have some fun".) I don't think 1040 even asked the Whitecaps for a reaction. After all, they had the first dig with their ‘best sporting atmosphere in Vancouver’ slogan.
Lenarduzzi had no problem with it and so he shouldn't.
I had a chuckle.The fact Dennis reached out let us view it as a way that gets people talking.No ill will from us
Last time I checked it was called Major League Soccer. It was actually one of the Whitecaps radio show guys who suggested it was a cheap shot and stirred up the Caps fans who already have an inferiority complex about their league with aging stars that is ranked 30th in the world or whatever.