Lions in the local media (REVIVED thread 6-10-20)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

dawg3648 wrote:Not sure how you are getting those numbers Qman. If you go to their site and the season ticket map I count about 11,000 tops based on counting number of tix available per section from 500, which is the average section seating total.
to go over this again:
lower bowl capacity is 27000ish for lions (27850ish for caps)
There are 10340 tickets remaining for sale.
Largest section in lower bowl is 720, lots of sections over 700 seats.
LakeLions
Rookie

16,600 is a decent base for the season, and there should be more coming -- because, as we've discussed - the season doesn't get fully going for nearly 3 months.

I'd say this is a good sign...and maybe an early vote of fan confidence in the return of Wally?
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

LakeLions wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:
*Shrug*

Not my comment.

And I haven't "spent three full pages" doing squat.
Funny. I could have sworn it was your comment. And the fact your name is attached to it would indicate it was your comment.

But never mind.
I took it you were referring to the initial comment which readily acknowledged that it is indeed the middle of the offseason. That was made by David. That's what I was referring to.

Cheers.
LakeLions
Rookie

Lions4ever wrote:
I took it you were referring to the initial comment which readily acknowledged that it is indeed the middle of the offseason. That was made by David. That's what I was referring to.

Cheers.
All good. I was being a moron and deserved to be slapped a bit. :good:
Dusty
Champion

David wrote:I know it's the CFL off-season but finding any news on the Lions in this market has been a challenge, especially in the print media. As for any league news? Pffft. That's damn near impossible! :bang:

Clearly, since LU left the Province there's been a void that hasn't been filled on his beat. Steve Ewen (and Howard Tsumura) have covered the club but remarkably, the Province did not devote a single line to the potential Jennings hold-out (that story appeared in the Vancouver Sun, courtesy of Mike Beamish), nor did the Province provide any coverage to Skulsky leaving his post as club President. Wally's extension was a back page blurb. Since Postmedia has combined newsrooms, my fear is that in the near future, the Province will just use Beamish's stories (so readers will see the same stories in both papers).

DH :cool:
I cancelled my Province subscription when LU retired and picked up a subscription to the Vancouver Sun as I figured that Beamish would continue on the Lions beat. Whenever I clicked on the Province, I had a certain number of reads before they asked me to pay for The Province, and once that happened, The Province articles were not available. That's fair game....

However, in reading about the Whitecaps game on Saturday night on the Vancouver Sun website, I noticed all the stories were by Marc Weber and attributed to The Province, even though it was on the Vancouver Sun webpage. There even is a story about the game from Ed Willes, The Province, available on the Vancouver Sun webpage.

Soo, it looks like David's fear may be coming true.....
D.
Qman
Champion

Dusty wrote:
David wrote:I know it's the CFL off-season but finding any news on the Lions in this market has been a challenge, especially in the print media. As for any league news? Pffft. That's damn near impossible! :bang:

Clearly, since LU left the Province there's been a void that hasn't been filled on his beat. Steve Ewen (and Howard Tsumura) have covered the club but remarkably, the Province did not devote a single line to the potential Jennings hold-out (that story appeared in the Vancouver Sun, courtesy of Mike Beamish), nor did the Province provide any coverage to Skulsky leaving his post as club President. Wally's extension was a back page blurb. Since Postmedia has combined newsrooms, my fear is that in the near future, the Province will just use Beamish's stories (so readers will see the same stories in both papers).

I cancelled my Province subscription when LU retired and picked up a subscription to the Vancouver Sun as I figured that Beamish would continue on the Lions beat. Whenever I clicked on the Province, I had a certain number of reads before they asked me to pay for The Province, and once that happened, The Province articles were not available. That's fair game....

However, in reading about the Whitecaps game on Saturday night on the Vancouver Sun website, I noticed all the stories were by Marc Weber and attributed to The Province, even though it was on the Vancouver Sun webpage. There even is a story about the game from Ed Willes, The Province, available on the Vancouver Sun webpage.

Soo, it looks like David's fear may be coming true.....
D.
they have merged newsrooms ... eventually will merge the papers
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Qman wrote: they have merged newsrooms ... eventually will merge the papers
That will be the first step. Print newspapers as we know them are dinosaurs, soon to be extinct. Small community papers have been dropping like flies. Some mid sized dailys that had been around for close to 100 years have also been ceasing. Main reason is they can't generate the advertising revenue needed to be profitable. People used to rely on traditional print advertising to get info on what they might be in the market for. Now they go online and can get infinitely more info than they could ever get in a paper. I'm willing to wager that within a decade neither the Sun nor Province will exist in print form.
Last edited by Hambone on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Dusty
Champion

Hambone wrote:
That will be the first step. Print newspapers as we know them are dinosaurs, soon to be extinct. Small community papers have be dropping like flies. Some mid sized dailys that had been around for close to 100 years have also been ceasing. Main reason is they can't generate the advertising revenue needed to be profitable. People used to rely on traditional print adverting to get info on what they might be in the market for. Now they go online and can get infinitely more info than they could ever get in a paper. I'm willing to wager that within a decade neither the Sun nor Province will exist in print form.
I won't take that bet, but I suspect that before they both drop the print form, one of them will cease to publish, even online. And before that, the writer covering the Lions will be published on both websites... until it is only one website.....
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Dusty wrote:
Hambone wrote:
That will be the first step. Print newspapers as we know them are dinosaurs, soon to be extinct. Small community papers have be dropping like flies. Some mid sized dailys that had been around for close to 100 years have also been ceasing. Main reason is they can't generate the advertising revenue needed to be profitable. People used to rely on traditional print adverting to get info on what they might be in the market for. Now they go online and can get infinitely more info than they could ever get in a paper. I'm willing to wager that within a decade neither the Sun nor Province will exist in print form.
I won't take that bet, but I suspect that before they both drop the print form, one of them will cease to publish, even online. And before that, the writer covering the Lions will be published on both websites... until it is only one website.....
It's interesting how things evolve. I stopped subscribing to The Province more than 25 years ago. Wasn't because I wanted to but rather because they stopped home delivery to everywhere outside the lower mainland. It saddened me more for the kid who was delivering it because short of baby-sitting that was the only opportunity for a kid to make a bit of money in our little community of Woss. When I was 13-14 I used to deliver the Sun in that same logging camp. It came in on Pacific Coach Lines which ran only 3 days per week then what had to be a hellacious route if one was going to Port Hardy. Then it had to travel cross Island from Campbell River to Gold River then up through the logging roads to Vernon Camp, Woss, Nimpkish Camp then through Bonanza Lake to get to Kokish and Beaver Cove before hitting pavement again up to Port McNeill and Port Hardy. I delivered the Monday Sun on Tuesday night; the Tuesday and Wednesday editions on Thursday and finally the 3 heaviest papers Thursday, Friday and Saturday after school on Monday. People were reading 4 day old news on Monday night and damned happy to do it. Now it's onto the internet and read about it often within hours of it happening.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

season tix update: 16825
remaining seats: 10175
squishy35
Legend

:thup:
Qman wrote:season tix update: 16825
remaining seats: 10175
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:
dawg3648 wrote:I'm sorry but, at best, I can only see the MLS as being a fringe sport in NA moving forward. Yea, yea its the World game blah, blah and we should be catching up with everyone else. Either that or how about no thanks soccer we already have four or five sports that are of superior entertainment to your beautifully boring game. And we'll take a pass, again thanks, just like last time.
I like soccer, but have a hard time with MLS "supporters" (the faux-British kind with skinny jeans and a beard - and a scarf in July - that works in the tech sector, drinks craft beer, and rides to games from Main Street in a Car2Go) that would sneer at the CFL as being a low form of entertainment. And trust me, they do exist among some TFC and Whitecaps groups. I watch MLS highlights in wide-eyed amazement that their league evokes such a strong reaction. I mean, a Seattle Sounders goal is met with fan celebrations like V-J Day in Times Square; like the end of World War II was declared, with fans jumping up and down and hugging each other. I'm thinking like, what am I missing here? Hello?? Get a grip people, it's the MLS.

I say this with a certain degree of envy, although I question the authenticity of some. I think part of the over-the-top support stems from mimicking the top-tier European leagues; the other part is that primal need to belong or fit in with a group - so you go overboard and act silly because everyone else is and you want to show that you're "one of them."

Well, hopefully the fans of the Whitecaps and other MLS teams don't take their emulation of some European fans to the point of forming gangs of Ultras...
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Huge crowd in Washington DC for yesterday's Whitecaps game.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:Huge crowd in Washington DC for yesterday's Whitecaps game.

If that crowd gets any smaller, they might start introducing the fans instead of the players at the start of the game.

Is MLS heading to becoming a TV league?
dawg3648
Rookie

Apparently people in D.C. were calling in Friday to ask what time the game started and the response was "what time can you get here?"... (rim shot, I'm here til Thursday)........As for MLS being a TV league...dream on....the TV numbers in Canada are horrendous and even worse in the States per capita....not sure exactly how this league survives long term, especially once the 100 mil new franchise fees dry up. Some say its one big Ponzi scheme. http://www.soccernomics-agency.com/?p=692