Jeff Paterson let go from TSN1040

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

After nine years of service, Jeff Paterson has been released today from TSN1040 by Bell Media.

Paterson stated that he was "one of many told by Bell Media/TSN1040 that our services were no longer required" and that a "recent management change signalled the beginning of the end".

An article from the Georgia Straight, another of his former employers:

http://www.straight.com/blogra/578976/j ... broadcasts

Also released by Bell Media from 1040: producers Cam Mitchell and Matt Baker (an occasional contributor to this board), and Perry Solkowski from CTV Vancouver.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/11/17 ... -tsn-1040/
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not sad that Paterson and Perry Solkowski are gone. Tired of Paterson repeating himself over and over again. Solkowski is a clown. Wish Bell would fire Pratt and Bro
BC 1988
Legend

Paterson has good hockey knowledge, but I found the sound of his voice (and manner of speaking) to be kind of abrasive. A few years back Doug McLean (a regular 1040 guest at the time) half-joked that it was like talking to the "weather guy" . Another annoying sounding voice is Brook Ward, but he has managed to bounce around Vancouver sports radio (usually in a fill-in role) for decades.

I'd be concerned that the cuts are probably aimed at reducing the amount of local content by Bell, cheaper to have more of it coming from TO (as well as less live content, more pre-recorded).
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:Paterson has good hockey knowledge, but I found the sound of his voice (and manner of speaking) to be kind of abrasive. A few years back Doug McLean (a regular 1040 guest at the time) half-joked that it was like talking to the "weather guy" . Another annoying sounding voice is Brook Ward, but he has managed to bounce around Vancouver sports radio (usually in a fill-in role) for decades.

I'd be concerned that the cuts are probably aimed at reducing the amount of local content by Bell, cheaper to have more of it coming from TO (as well as less live content, more pre-recorded).
I liked JP's contributions to the Georgia Straight, as he gave the Lions their fair share of run in his weekly sports column for that publication. His predecessor whose name escapes me was too focussed on the Canucks for my liking, when they already had ample coverage in the mainstream media (doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of being an alt-weekly to cover the same stuff as the mainstream press?).

They parted ways in Oct 2013 and I don't think they ever replaced him. AFAIK the print edition no longer carries a sports column although their website occasionally has some sports content, albeit mostly Canucks. The last CFL-related article they published online was in early August when they reported on the league's VAW initiative, which made little mention of the Lions except at the end to note their own VAW initiative. Before that was a short article on the story of the Roughrider fan who attacked a fellow passenger onboard Skytrain on the night of the Lions' home opener, and an article on the release of Paul McCallum in June. That's pretty much it since the start of TC.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Spud387
Champion

BC 1988 wrote:Paterson has good hockey knowledge, but I found the sound of his voice (and manner of speaking) to be kind of abrasive. A few years back Doug McLean (a regular 1040 guest at the time) half-joked that it was like talking to the "weather guy" . Another annoying sounding voice is Brook Ward, but he has managed to bounce around Vancouver sports radio (usually in a fill-in role) for decades.

Botchford also confirmed on his latest Provies that Scott Rintoul's 6pm - 10pm broadcast is being axed as well once the Grey Cup is over. Scott will now just do Canucks pre/post-game talk and BC Lions games. Instead it'll be pre-recorded ESPN stuff from 6pm onward.

This is definitely a cost cutting measure from Bell Media.
aklawitter
All Star

well, there goes the listenership (and advertising dollars) from 6pm onwards

reminds me of when the FM stations do a "format change" to try to get more listeners and it blows up in their faces every time
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Not sad that Paterson and Perry Solkowski are gone. Tired of Paterson repeating himself over and over again. Solkowski is a clown. Wish Bell would fire Pratt and Bro
Maybe Solkowski's rug will get its own gig.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Not sad that Paterson and Perry Solkowski are gone. Tired of Paterson repeating himself over and over again. Solkowski is a clown. Wish Bell would fire Pratt and Bro
Maybe Solkowski's rug will get its own gig.
As a stand up comedian ? He and Squire Barnes would make a great pair. :wink:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

So how does this play for 1410? If they are cost cutting for 1040, are they going to continue with 1410 as a second sports station? Is that realistic? Does anyone here listen to 1410? and what do they then to tune in for? Serious question.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Spud387
Champion

Sir Purrcival wrote:So how does this play for 1410? If they are cost cutting for 1040, are they going to continue with 1410 as a second sports station? Is that realistic? Does anyone here listen to 1410? and what do they then to tune in for? Serious question.
TSN410 is "property management." The frequency is owned by the parent company and they use it to maximize profits. To them it likely works out like this:
  • TSN1410 costs them money on a day to day basis
  • Having a second radio station to play Lions/Canucks/Whitecaps/Stealth/Giants games on when there is a conflict is a negotiating tactic to be able to obtain more sports contracts rather than those contracts going to another station.
  • Those extra sports contracts TSN1040 obtains because of the alternate station outweighs the losses sustained by TSN1410 on its own.
That's how I see it.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Bro Jake almost a casualty literally. Off 6 to 7 weeks with kidney failure. Back at work today. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
BC 1988
Legend

Ballistic Bob wrote:Bro Jake almost a casualty literally. Off 6 to 7 weeks with kidney failure. Back at work today. BB
Thanks for saying what happened to him. I usually turn on that show just before 9am, and I missed why he was off the show the whole time. (I ain't gonna lie, the last few months have been great). Even yesterday when they were talking about going to Delta Hospital, then being rushed to Surrey Memorial, I still missed what the medical condition was.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

BC 1988 wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:Bro Jake almost a casualty literally. Off 6 to 7 weeks with kidney failure. Back at work today. BB
Thanks for saying what happened to him. I usually turn on that show just before 9am, and I missed why he was off the show the whole time. (I ain't gonna lie, the last few months have been great). Even yesterday when they were talking about going to Delta Hospital, then being rushed to Surrey Memorial, I still missed what the medical condition was.
Jake did mention his prostate condition was ignored hence the kidney failure. Have your prostate checked men over 50. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:So how does this play for 1410? If they are cost cutting for 1040, are they going to continue with 1410 as a second sports station? Is that realistic? Does anyone here listen to 1410? and what do they then to tune in for? Serious question.
TSN410 is "property management." The frequency is owned by the parent company and they use it to maximize profits. To them it likely works out like this:
  • TSN1410 costs them money on a day to day basis
  • Having a second radio station to play Lions/Canucks/Whitecaps/Stealth/Giants games on when there is a conflict is a negotiating tactic to be able to obtain more sports contracts rather than those contracts going to another station.
  • Those extra sports contracts TSN1040 obtains because of the alternate station outweighs the losses sustained by TSN1410 on its own.
That's how I see it.
Ok, but since 1040 is losing the Canucks, how much overlapping is their going to be? That's 82 broadcasts, gone. Frankly I had to look up the Stealth to even see what sport they were. You may well be right but somehow I doubt that many folks would even miss the odd game on radio if it was the Giants or the Stealth . With alternative options like media streaming, it does seem to make owing another sports station extremely redundant. They may change the format again but to what. How many people actually listen to AM except for news ,sports and traffic? NW has the news angle pretty locked up, 1040 and now with 650 for Rogers, seems to have the sports side of things mostly covered. What do you do with 1410 most of the time? Vancouver is the only city were TSN has 2 radio stations and that is including Toronto and Montreal. I wouldn't be surprised at all if 1410 were quietly sold to someone else, perhaps as a 3rd language channel.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.