2023 MLB Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

The 2015 MLB Playoffs will be starting soon and for the first time since 1993, the Toronto Blue Jays will be playing in the playoffs. Will you be rooting for the Blue Jays the same way most Vancouverites did so when the team played in the ALCS in 1985, 1989, 1991 before finally winning it all in 1992 and 1993?

I've stated a few times before there's a love-hate relationship between Vancouver and Toronto. Vancouver has expressed their animosity towards the Maple Leafs and the Argonauts, and maybe the Raptors as well especially when the Grizzlies were local. This was most apparent in the 1994 Western Conference finals between the Canucks and the Toronto Maple Leafs when the local radios and television stations ran various promotions and contests to let everyone know what and how much they hate about Toronto to win prizes.

But despite all that I think it's rather hypocritical and phony when Vancouver had a huge blast and held parties and celebrations in the bars and on Robson Street whenever the Toronto Blue Jays do well, specifically when:

They clinched the AL West in 1985:

And again clinched the AL West in 1989:

And a third time in 1991:

Before finally winning it all in 1992 when reliever Mike Timlin passing to first baseman Joe Carter for the final out in Atlanta:
w

And repeating the feat in 1993 with Joe Carter's walk off home run:

It looks like Vancouver still considers Toronto as a fellow brother and countrymen if there's an international-like contest. I suppose it's sort of like a younger brother having a huge rivalry and possible animosity and fights with his older brother....but when the older brother gets into a fight with someone outside the family the younger brother will still support and root for his older brother.
----------------------------

Did any of you see the movie Back to the Future Part II in the cinemas when it came out in late 1989? After seeing the movie, did think the many predictions by director Robert Zemeckis would indeed become a reality in 2015? It looks like one prediction that came correct was video conferencing through software related to Skype. But many other predictions were not even close:

1. Hoverboards
2. Flying cars
3. Using thumb prints to open most home locks or paying as credit cards
4. Self-drying clothes
5. Self-tightening shoes
6. Jaws 19

Let's see if Zemeckis can redeem himself by correctly predicting that the Chicago Cubs will win the 2015 World Series. The Chicago Cubs have clinched a playoff spot already.
Last edited by Robbie on Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:24 pm, edited 9 times in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I vote no

because of blue jay owners and major supporters anti cfl attitudes and actions
because blue jay success hurts argos and cfl
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

At a basic level, I wish them well but I am not really an MLB fan. I have kept loose tabs on them since the middle of the season and they have done a remarkable job of re-booting half way through. Like all things sport however, it is still just a game. It is a very exciting ride for those who have followed them and 22 years of the wilderness is long enough for any fan. So good luck to them Enjoy it while it lasts because it is just a moment in time that will come and go. Something to be remembered, a good feeling perchance but not that important in comparison to some things in life.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

19,000 fans attended Rogers Arena on Sunday evening to see the Raptors vs. Clippers pre-season game. Is Vancouver ready to manage another NBA team?
The vast majority of the fans were supporting the Raptors by putting on "We The North" banners booed Toronto's arch-enemy Paul Pierce.

This reinforces the phony love-hate relationship on Vancouver's thoughts on Toronto in that they hate the Maple Leafs and Argonauts and allegedly everything about Toronto, but ironically they love the Blue Jays and the Raptors.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The evil empire of MLB, the NY Yankees are eliminated now. I'm sure Director Robert Zemekis will be rooting for the Cubs tonight in their wild-card playoff game to make sure that at least part of his prediction is correct.

Blue Jays take on the Texas Rangers tomorrow in Toronto. I'm sure all of Canada will be excited to see the Blue Jays return to the playoffs in 22 years. I'm sure there's discussions about: Where were you when Joe Carter hit his walk-off home run to allow the Blue Jays to win back-to-back World Series on October 23, 1993?
Last edited by Robbie on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Blue Jays take on the Texas Rangers tomorrow in Toronto. I'm sure all of Canada will be excited to see the Blue Jays return to the playoffs in 22 years.
I just became a massive, massive Texas Rangers fan.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
Robbie wrote:
Blue Jays take on the Texas Rangers tomorrow in Toronto. I'm sure all of Canada will be excited to see the Blue Jays return to the playoffs in 22 years.
I just became a massive, massive Texas Rangers fan.
Blew Jays, Blew Jays
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toronto is in a heap of trouble now with their defeat this afternoon.
Rocko604
Rookie

:yahoo: Go Rangers!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jays live to play another day. Will be going back to David Price tomorrow.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

bah humbug
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The Blue Jays are certainly doing their best in forcing a game 5 with a 7-0 lead in game 4......for better or worse.

Update:
Blue Jays win game 4 with a score of 8-4. Going back to Toronto for the deciding game 5.

If the Blue Jays advance to the ALCS, I wonder if that will affect the Argonauts home game on Oct. 17.
祝你龍年行大運。
BC 1988
Legend

Both ALDS are going to game 5 to be decided on Wednesday.
http://m.mlb.com/postseason-schedule
Game 2 of the ALCS will be played on Saturday at Rogers Centre if the match-up is Jays-Astros. If the match-up is Jays-Royals, it will be played in KC.
There has been no update yet to this story:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/ar ... -playoffs/
Unless they can wait until the outcome Wednesday night, I think the Argos will have no choice but to commit to Tim Horton's Field for their Saturday game against CGY.
http://www.ticketmaster.ca/toronto-argo ... 86AD813DAC
TM has suspended ticket sales to the game at Rogers Centre with this note:
In the event that the Toronto Blue Jays make it to the American League Championship Series, this Toronto Argonauts game will be moved to Tim Horton's Field in Hamilton. You can purchase tickets for the potential game in Hamilton by clicking the link below
http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/10004F47E2948426
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:19,000 fans attended Rogers Arena on Sunday evening to see the Raptors vs. Clippers pre-season game. Is Vancouver ready to manage another NBA team?
The vast majority of the fans were supporting the Raptors by putting on "We The North" banners booed Toronto's arch-enemy Paul Pierce.

This reinforces the phony love-hate relationship on Vancouver's thoughts on Toronto in that they hate the Maple Leafs and Argonauts and allegedly everything about Toronto, but ironically they love the Blue Jays and the Raptors.
I don't really think it is a hate for Toronto proper or it's teams. It is the force feeding of crap from the media that is all things Toronto that is the real issue. There was a time when I felt bad about being a neglected cousin in the media and a time I felt bad when this city was "the under appreciated gem". Not so much anymore. I don't really care if some sports writers and media outlets based in the megalopolis that is Toronto don't cover all the teams in this country equally. By the same token, I wouldn't mind this city flying under the radar the way it used to.

As to supporting a Basketball team? Sure this city is big enough and if someone wanted to front the costs, it could be done. However, there is a big difference between attending a 1 off exhibition game and supporting a team full time. Is their enough fan support in this city? I'm not sure, maybe? I certainly don't get it because I have always found basketball incredibly boring and factor in the bad taste from the last go round here and I won't lose any sleep. I think I would rather see MLB here than NBA which isn't saying much. Just more things to push down the CFL on the list of media importance.

At anyrate, back to topic. Congrats to the Jays for finding their game and forcing a game five. It was looking pretty grim after game two.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

[quote="Robbie"If the Blue Jays advance to the ALCS, I wonder if that will affect the Argonauts home game on Oct. 17.[/quote]
The Argos just announced this:
The Toronto Argonauts Football Club provided the following update on the location of the team’s upcoming regular season home game on Saturday, October 17 against the Calgary Stampeders.

“We can now confirm that our home game scheduled for this Saturday, October 17 at 4:00 p.m. ET against the Calgary Stampeders will be played at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton. This solution provides our team with a neutral-site that meets CFL and broadcast standards,” said Argonauts Executive Chairman & CEO, Chris Rudge. “We anticipated that the Blue Jays would have a competitive post-season run and, as previously announced, we prepared this contingency plan for exactly this scenario. I would again like to thank the Tiger-Cats organization for accommodating our move and assisting us with this challenge.”

Rudge continued, “We have continued to work on alternate plans for our October 23 home game against the Montreal Alouettes should there be another similar conflict with the MLB post-season schedule. As previously announced those plans are not yet final but will most likely also result in our team playing at Tim Hortons Field. We will communicate the appropriate details as early as possible once a decision is known. Again, we thank everyone for their continued support and patience during this unusual time.”

Fans whose ticket packages include the October 17 home game will continue to be contacted by Toronto Argonauts ticket representatives. Fans that have purchased tickets to any 2015 Toronto Argonauts home game that has been, or will be, displaced by the 2015 MLB post-schedule will be fully reimbursed once all disruptions are known.