Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Not sure that the GC was a real win, they played BC with Benevides in charge and should have lost IMO. Then Calgary without the middle of their DL, and that showed as the game went along. Finally, they played Hamilton, and Hamilton just wasn't in the same league as the West. The problem with Cortez's O IMO, is that it doesn't suggest to me that it is going to go out and win a game, just manage a game. That only works as long as your running game can help pull the O forward. Add to that the players not caring for Cortez and you have some difficulty selling that package to me.

Rammer
A few thoughts on the potential hiring and hiring process of Jeff Tedford as our future HC, if details can be worked out.

~a candidate with Tedford's background coaching qualifications and success is a rare thing and a unique opportunity. The hiring of a coach with Tedford's background would normally command a salary that is not within the reach of a CFL team and its also very rare that someone like Tedford would be interested.

`Tedford also has CFL playing exoerience and coaching experience as well as major US college experience as a OC as well as being the HC of a major college progeam that enjoyed years of success. He has also developed a high number of players who have gone on to significant NFL success.

~To add to the equation of hiring Tedford, his background is on the offensive side of the football, he has been an innovative coach and he has developed quarterbacks. With our problems on the offfensive side of the football last year, his offensive background is a real plus.

~ Tedfords previous experinces in coaching with Hufnagel and Buono in Calgary will give Buono some comfort that he didn't have at the start of this process and while its not a major consideration for me, there will at least be a certain comfort level between the two to begin next season and that is a positive. Buono is not the most confident guy in his hiring background.

~Before the knowledge that Tedford could be interested in our Lions HC position, Buono had talked to LaPolice, to Garcia, and was denied permission by Hamilton to talk to Orlando. It looked like we were going down the road of a hiring process but when someone like Tedford becomes available, its understandable to want to get that candidate locked up. Its not as if Tedford doesn't have other options at the U.S. college level and options that could pay him more.

~While some fans might have liked a young HC who had the potential to be innovative, the reality is, with our 'culture, chemistry, and player leadership' challenges, we really need an experienced HC at this juncture. The team also needs discipline and that is much more difficult to establish with an inexperienced coach.

~In tems of the potential hiring of George Cortez, it makes sense from the point of view that Cortez has worked for Buono and for Tedford. It doesn't excite me. Cortez has been a spread offence devotee from his days in Calgary, following Hufnagel and in Saskatchewan, as well as being a spread offence devotee under Tedford. Tedford moved away from the spread in California to move to a more pro offence, with a greater focus on the running attack, using multiple backs and tight ends. Cortez has had success running from the spread, when he has had a very good tailback and a very good offensive line. Tedford will need to guide Cortez towards not being such a spread devotee if Cortez is hired.

~For those who thought Chap could be distant and cold, they are going to learn quite quickly that Chap was warm and fuzzy compared to Cortez, who is like a prickly cactus with a temper. His interpersonal skills are not what one would call "highly developed'. But he knows his football and he would definitely be an upgrade at OC.

~There is no way that Mark Washington should have been present with Buono and Tedford, in terms of the hiring process so far...nor should Tedford have been meeing with Leo assistant coaches prior to his hiring. In fact, Tedford should be interviewing each one of them, should he even want to, after being hired. Of course this did not surprise me. I anticipated Buono trying to influence, in one way or the other, in terms of what assistants the new HC would have. Buono may have already spoken to Tedford about his ''fantastic' young defensive coordinator, his 'dedicated' offensive line coach, or his 'special' special teams coordinator. Buono stated that the new HC would be able to hire his own assistants and already the process is flawed with very bad optics.

~I strongly support and understand Lionbackers posts who state that they will not renew their season tickets until they find out who our assistant coaches are going to be. For example, we all know that a quarterback is only as good as his offensive line, a receiver is only as good as his offensive line, a tailback is only as good as his offensive line, and an OC is only as good as his offensive line, and finally having a good offensive line is not just a question of talent but also coaching. A new HC, without more changes to our coaching staff, is not going to be good enough, even with a coach with the pedigree of Tedford, should he be hired as our new HC.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Ravi
Legend

Rammer wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:
Ravi wrote: Absolutely! Is there a reason you wouldn't want Cortez as OC? All the man knows how to do is move the football, as long as he has a competent QB which every OC needs. Saskatchewan was crazy to get rid of him IMO.
Cortez was good enough to coach the Riders offence to the 2013 Grey Cup championship...but I guess he got stupid this season which coincided with having to start Sunseri, Doege and Joseph at QB. :wink:

Cortez is a proven winning OC, the Lions would be lucky to get him regardless of who the head coach is.

A couple of tidbits about Tedford, he spent nearly 10 years in the CFL as QB and coach. So he knows the league and it's not like he'd be coming in as a "Bart Andrus" type. He's also married to a Canadian-girl from Alberta, so that might help tip the scales in our favour.

I'd have thought Tedford would command at least a $500,000 salary here. While that's a Trestman-like number, the Lions should open their bank account if necessary and "overpay" to sign him. Tedford brings the credibility to help lead this franchise into a promising future. :thup:
Not sure that the GC was a real win, they played BC with Benevides in charge and should have lost IMO. Then Calgary without the middle of their DL, and that showed as the game went along. Finally, they played Hamilton, and Hamilton just wasn't in the same league as the West. The problem with Cortez's O IMO, is that it doesn't suggest to me that it is going to go out and win a game, just manage a game. That only works as long as your running game can help pull the O forward. Add to that the players not caring for Cortez and you have some difficulty selling that package to me.
I think that you are short-changing Cortez on his accomplishments in Saskatchewan but let's even look at the 2012 season in Hamilton. That offence was absolutely explosive. The only problem was that they had one of the worst defences in CFL history that same season which is why they ended up 6-12.
Ravi
Legend

Ironically, the 1984 Grey Cup is airing tonight on ESPN Classics at 9 pm PST. All four QBs in that game - Tom Clements, John Hufnagel, Dieter Brock and Jeff Tedford - went on to coaching careers with varying degrees of success. Tedford gets into that game for the Ticats late in the 4th quarter IIRC.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:

Rammer
A few thoughts on the potential hiring and hiring process of Jeff Tedford as our future HC, if details can be worked out.

~a candidate with Tedford's background coaching qualifications and success is a rare thing and a unique opportunity. The hiring of a coach with Tedford's background would normally command a salary that is not within the reach of a CFL team and its also very rare that someone like Tedford would be interested.

`Tedford also has CFL playing exoerience and coaching experience as well as major US college experience as a OC as well as being the HC of a major college progeam that enjoyed years of success. He has also developed a high number of players who have gone on to significant NFL success.

~To add to the equation of hiring Tedford, his background is on the offensive side of the football, he has been an innovative coach and he has developed quarterbacks. With our problems on the offfensive side of the football last year, his offensive background is a real plus.

~ Tedfords previous experinces in coaching with Hufnagel and Buono in Calgary will give Buono some comfort that he didn't have at the start of this process and while its not a major consideration for me, there will at least be a certain comfort level between the two to begin next season and that is a positive. Buono is not the most confident guy in his hiring background.

~Before the knowledge that Tedford could be interested in our Lions HC position, Buono had talked to LaPolice, to Garcia, and was denied permission by Hamilton to talk to Orlando. It looked like we were going down the road of a hiring process but when someone like Tedford becomes available, its understandable to want to get that candidate locked up. Its not as if Tedford doesn't have other options at the U.S. college level and options that could pay him more.

~While some fans might have liked a young HC who had the potential to be innovative, the reality is, with our 'culture, chemistry, and player leadership' challenges, we really need an experienced HC at this juncture. The team also needs discipline and that is much more difficult to establish with an inexperienced coach.

~In tems of the potential hiring of George Cortez, it makes sense from the point of view that Cortez has worked for Buono and for Tedford. It doesn't excite me. Cortez has been a spread offence devotee from his days in Calgary, following Hufnagel and in Saskatchewan, as well as being a spread offence devotee under Tedford. Tedford moved away from the spread in California to move to a more pro offence, with a greater focus on the running attack, using multiple backs and tight ends. Cortez has had success running from the spread, when he has had a very good tailback and a very good offensive line. Tedford will need to guide Cortez towards not being such a spread devotee if Cortez is hired.

~For those who thought Chap could be distant and cold, they are going to learn quite quickly that Chap was warm and fuzzy compared to Cortez, who is like a prickly cactus with a temper. His interpersonal skills are not what one would call "highly developed'. But he knows his football and he would definitely be an upgrade at OC.

~There is no way that Mark Washington should have been present with Buono and Tedford, in terms of the hiring process so far...nor should Tedford have been meeing with Leo assistant coaches prior to his hiring. In fact, Tedford should be interviewing each one of them, should he even want to, after being hired. Of course this did not surprise me. I anticipated Buono trying to influence, in one way or the other, in terms of what assistants the new HC would have. Buono may have already spoken to Tedford about his ''fantastic' young defensive coordinator, his 'dedicated' offensive line coach, or his 'special' special teams coordinator. Buono stated that the new HC would be able to hire his own assistants and already the process is flawed with very bad optics.

~I strongly support and understand Lionbackers posts who state that they will not renew their season tickets until they find out who our assistant coaches are going to be. For example, we all know that a quarterback is only as good as his offensive line, a receiver is only as good as his offensive line, a tailback is only as good as his offensive line, and an OC is only as good as his offensive line, and finally having a good offensive line is not just a question of talent but also coaching. A new HC, without more changes to our coaching staff, is not going to be good enough, even with a coach with the pedigree of Tedford, should he be hired as our new HC.

Brilliant, I agree 100%...if Tedford actually decided to keep some of the Asst Coaches here (Bates and Holland being good choices) they should have to go through an in-depth process to be selected. I too can see the optics of this process thus far are not usual...I am not sure what Tedford's personal beliefs are, but they shouldn't play here at all...Tedford comes from coaching against the highest level of opponents, he absolutely has to know that sentimentality or personal beliefs will get you fired. If Tedford is looking to either stay a HC in Canada, or parlay any success here elsewhere, he will get ONE CHANCE ONLY...he simply can't hang his hat on Dan Dorazio or Chuck McMann without suffering the consequences! So I am cautiously optimistic at this point Bltiz...but having dinner with Washington and already meeting the Asst. Coaches (of a HC that has been fired) is very improper on Wally's behalf at this point...I can smell Wally's game...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to LU, the stage was set for the Tedford offer a year ago when Tedford took in the season finale between B.C. and Calgary at B.C Place before going to Tampa Bay as OC.
Jeff Tedford wasn’t really interested in anything other than watching a little three-down football the last time he caught a B.C. Lions game in person. A question asked at that game, however, might be the reason he could soon be in charge of leading the CFL team on the field next year at B.C. Place Stadium.

The fellow asking Tedford when watching the Calgary Stampeders take on the Lions in the final home game of the 2013 regular season was Wally Buono.

“I said ‘would you ever consider coming back to the CFL and he said yes, if it was the right place and the right time’,” said Buono. And perhaps before lunch tomorrow, the Lions could find out if that time and place is with the Lions now.
Lions had Tedford’s ear on CFL job a year ago
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

cromartie wrote:I'm not sure where this "Wally isn't doing due diligence" is coming from. He talked to Dickenson, who wasn't coming. He talked to LaPolice. He asked Hamilton for permission to talk to Steinhauer, who denied him. He talked to Jeff Garcia. He talked to Danny Barrett. How many more candidates in two weeks would you have liked him to talk to?

And now that I've made that point, let me save you the response. Jeff Tedford was released from his contract a couple of months ago. One could argue that Wally should have been aware of this already, or should have worked with a consultant that helped him vet candidates who would have known this.
The only thing I question there Cro is re: Tedford being released from his contract a couple of months ago. I thought it was only 11 days ago. Other than that I agree with you 100%. I don't doubt Buono talked to, approached or was approached by the names you mentioned and likely that many more that we don't know about since Benevides was let go. My thinking is when you have a slate of candidates like the first 5 you mentioned, none of whom with the possible exception of DD stands out as a must-hire, maybe you do spend more time doing "due diligence". There's an old saying "he who hesitates is lost". When a candidate with Tedford's credentials and resume suddenly becomes available in the middle of the process an organization has to move fast because he's going to be snapped up quickly. To say Wally isn't doing due diligence with this hire is to say Ackles didn't do due diligence when he didn't go through some prolonged search and interview process with several HC candidates when he found out Wally Buono could be sprung out of Calgary.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
News1130
Jay "Coach Killer" Cutler. What a guy.
And the Bears gave him an extension.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: ~There is no way that Mark Washington should have been present with Buono and Tedford, in terms of the hiring process so far...nor should Tedford have been meeing with Leo assistant coaches prior to his hiring. In fact, Tedford should be interviewing each one of them, should he even want to, after being hired. Of course this did not surprise me. I anticipated Buono trying to influence, in one way or the other, in terms of what assistants the new HC would have. Buono may have already spoken to Tedford about his ''fantastic' young defensive coordinator, his 'dedicated' offensive line coach, or his 'special' special teams coordinator. Buono stated that the new HC would be able to hire his own assistants and already the process is flawed with very bad optics.
I agree, the optics are bad
notahomer
Hall of Famer

One thing about Chaps. I get that he has a reputation, perhaps earned and/or unearned by various sources. My personal experience was nothing but positive. Certainly polite and friendly. Not super friendly. I'm just saying cordial. And, IMO, it wasn't 'fake'. Some guys come off all friendly and nice but aren't. I realize the fact he may have been, IMO, a nice, quiet guy doesn't mean much in terms of whether he'd make a good coordinator and/or head coach......
Blitz
Team Captain

Brilliant, I agree 100%...if Tedford actually decided to keep some of the Asst Coaches here (Bates and Holland being good choices) they should have to go through an in-depth process to be selected. I too can see the optics of this process thus far are not usual...I am not sure what Tedford's personal beliefs are, but they shouldn't play here at all...Tedford comes from coaching against the highest level of opponents, he absolutely has to know that sentimentality or personal beliefs will get you fired. If Tedford is looking to either stay a HC in Canada, or parlay any success here elsewhere, he will get ONE CHANCE ONLY...he simply can't hang his hat on Dan Dorazio or Chuck McMann without suffering the consequences! So I am cautiously optimistic at this point Bltiz...but having dinner with Washington and already meeting the Asst. Coaches (of a HC that has been fired) is very improper on Wally's behalf at this point...I can smell Wally's game...

Hambone
I can smell his game too and Buono doesn't even have to say anything to Tedford. Just the fact that Washington is at the dinner and Tedford is introduced to the assistants prior to being hired is INFLUENCE.

You're sure right that Tedford is only going to get one chance only and getting our offensive line playing at a high level is essential.

Its amazing that we gave up the most sacks in the CFL in 2005 and won the West, gave up the most sacks in 2006 and won the West again and won the Grey Cup. We won the most games again in 2007 in the regular season. But have a look at what happened. We lost the WDF in 2005 and Dickenson was under seige all game. We beat Montreal in the Grey Cup in 2006 but our offence struggles as Dickenson was under huge pressure all game and he ended up running with the football to seal the victory. In 2007 both Jarious and Dickenson had no time to throw and we lost the WDF again.

A key factor in our slide from 2008 to early 2011 was our deteriorating offensive line play. We had to sign Printers in in late mid-season in 2009 and played him because all three of our quarterbacks were injured but quarterback injuries have been an integral part of our history since Dorazio came here. In 2010, we missed the playoffs and gave up the most sacks in the CFl again, with two very mobile quarterbacks.

Our success in 2011 and 2012, I mainly attribute to Chap going with a lot of power formations, most often using one or two tight ends and Lumbala on first downs plays and sometimes on second downs, along with Lulay's mobility. We were sacked the least in the CFL (29) in 2011 and tied for the least sacks (30 in 2012) and he had two successful seasons.

But in 2013 our sack totals were up again, even with power formations. Lulay's shoulder may have not been right in 2013 but there was nothing wrong with his legs and yet we were back up there with 47 sacks and this season we gave up 53 sacks with the quick release Glenn at the helm.

Its just not good enough. We've given up the most sacks in the CFL in total during Dorazio's tenure. We've given up way too many sacks or led the CFL in giving up the most sacks in seasons when we've had some very good offensive linemen and some very good quarterbacks.

Its gotta change. Its obviously offensive line scheme problems. Just look at last season. We couldn't get a hole open for Harris for a huge chunk of the season after he ran into brick wall after brick wall. We change our blocking scheme late in the season (unheard of) and we run off over 600 yards of rushing in our last 3 games of last season, including the Semi-Final. Its much less a talent problem than it is a coaching problem.

I sure hope that Tedford really can hire who he wants to and not be influenced by Buono to have the Washington's or the Dorazio's or the McMann's unless he really wants any of them. Right now, the optics and the perception doesn't look like he is totally free from influence to do that. I hope I'm wrong.

But I won't be surprised if that is the case. Buono is very good with the media but if you listen carefully he often shows his colours. For example, he said that he never controllled Benevedes decisions but only responded when Benevedes came to him for advise, then he says if a boss is not meeting with his HC then he is not doing his job, and then he says he made mistakes. How did he make mistakes unless he was creating them and he uses the word 'maybe' made mistakes, keeping it all nice and cloudy. Buono says he wasn't in the locker room before games or half time but he wasn't in the cherry picker to leave Benevedes to make his own decisions. I sure hope he stays out of the dam thing if he hires Tedford.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:
News1130
Jay "Coach Killer" Cutler. What a guy.
And the Bears gave him an extension.
Yup. A seven-year, $126.7 million contract, with $54 million guaranteed. Not just a coach-killer, but a salary-cap-killer as well.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Tedford's first real test will come when he picks his assistant coaches. It will speak volumes.
aklawitter
All Star

I feel that Sacks Allowed is a little misleading, as we were fortunate to have a QB in Dave Dickenson (among others) that would rather take a small loss than toss a pick...

Team Passing TD / int Stats
1996 - 13 TD / 10 int (Damon Allen begins reign)
1997 - 21 TD / 11 int
1998 - 16 TD / 18 int
1999 - 22 TD / 13 int
2000 - 24 TD / 11 int
2001 - 18 TD / 14 int
2002 - 23 TD / 10 int (Allen offseason controversy)
2003 - 42 TD / 13 int (Dickenson begins reign)
2004 - 45 TD / 14 int (Printers MOP)
2005 - 33 TD / 12 int
2006 - 36 TD / 15 int
2007 - 27 TD / 17 int (DD week 3 concussion via Fred Perry)
2008 - 37 TD / 19 int
2009 - 27 TD / 26 int (begin dark ages)
2010 - 19 TD / 20 int
2011 - 33 TD / 15 int (end dark ages, Lulay MOP)
2012 - 31 TD / 14 int
2013 - 32 TD / 20 int
2014 - 23 TD / 17 int (Glenn disaster 17/17)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

So Wally invites Washington to meet and have dinner with himself and Tedford. I'm just glad that Wally didn't also invite Dorazio and McMann.
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:So Wally invites Washington to meet and have dinner with himself and Tedford. I'm just glad that Wally didn't also invite Dorazio and McMann.
Imagine you are being courted for a job to lead an organization. You are being interviewed for the position of Chief Operating Officer and the Chief Executive Officer is doing the hiring. The CEO has stated the new Chief Operating Officer can choose his own junior management staff, since the operation has not been functioning well and customers are not pleased. At your dinner interview the CEO is present along with one of his hand picked junior managers. Seems a little palsy walsy doesn't it - he must be a favorite of the boss. Uuuuuuh......don't think that is one of the guys you are going to release to clean house with.

Now, before being hired, you get to meet more of the junior managers. The CEO, Wally introduces a couple of them as Dandy Dan and Charmin' Chuck. You ask....how long have you been Lions assistants? "Oh, we go back with Wally, the CEO for so long, we're just like family. His wife cooks great Italian food. When he was the COO as well, he always hired us each and every year and when his protege took over, he kept us too". Other high level junior managers have been let go in the past but not us".

Uuuugh....you think, maybe I should keep these two as well....no sense getting off on bad terms with the new boss right away. He obviously must like these guys and think they're good, very experienced junior managers, that he worked closely with. Heck, if I dump them, its like saying he didn't make good junior manager hiriing choices along the way.

But hey, I can always say I chose my own staff and I wanted these guys wealth of experience. Now, let's talk money. :wink: