All things Lions Marketing/Promotions 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:This was a fun crowd, and a lot of them seemed to be from the lost generation who grew up in the '90s when the franchise was in the doldrums. And I didn't sense that many of them cared at all about the game across the street. It was a highly entertaining evening, and a marketing victory for the club, thanks largely to the guaranteed win promotion.
Not a mention of the nukleheads during the game as in the past fans from a Canuck game could come and catch the end. You wouldnt really want to miss game 2 of an 82 sked would you. Thnx BB
That's only happened once since 1996 as far I as can recall. As I mentioned recently in another thread (where someone else even specified which game this was) such clashes aren't all that common anyway; there have only 10 in this timespan, about one every other year on average.

I don't think it would happen anymore that people could come over from a Canucks game and catch the rest of the Lions game since NHL games are played much faster nowadays, often in 2:40 or less and the Lions never seem to start at 7:30pm anymore as was once the case (which is what happened in the aforementioned instance, while the Canucks started at 7pm). Now both games usually start 7pm when there's an overlap, which means hockey will usually wrap first.

I noticed they gave a Canucks score update at least once @BCP last night.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:This was a fun crowd, and a lot of them seemed to be from the lost generation who grew up in the '90s when the franchise was in the doldrums. And I didn't sense that many of them cared at all about the game across the street. It was a highly entertaining evening, and a marketing victory for the club, thanks largely to the guaranteed win promotion.
Yes there were some real HOTSPOTS of activity too. For e.g. the jersey section where the hot pressing and everything is done on the spot. IT WAS PACKED when I sauntered by in the pre-game. And apparently people were NOT trying to buy Canucks or NFL jerseys either, THEY WANTED LIONS ones :wink:

That night was a promotion I would have loved to goto as a kid too! I mean it was a different stadium then (maybe it was held back then too, I just didn't know). But the concept of staying over onthe BC Lions home field and watching a movie on the JUMBOTRON! Awesome.... In a way you could sense the football game was a small part of what was going to be an amazing evening of FUN and they'll probably make themselves some FOREVER FANS out of it...........
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Have SportsAction dropped the Lions as a gameday promotion?

I don't remember seeing them do something for a bit. I prefered the 'player' catching 3 balls from a Juggs machine promo. The latest incarnation of throwing nerf footballs didn't work so well.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Have SportsAction dropped the Lions as a gameday promotion?

I don't remember seeing them do something for a bit. I prefered the 'player' catching 3 balls from a Juggs machine promo. The latest incarnation of throwing nerf footballs didn't work so well.
I think you're right. The Lions have a number of what they refer to as "Premier Partners" and these are listed on their pocket schedules each year.

I just checked them for 2012, 2013 and 2014:

2012:
Nissan
Rona
Scotiabank
Telus
SportsAction
Budweiser
TEAM radio (now TSN radio)
Vancouver Province
Vancouver Sun

2013:
delete: Rona, Scotiabank; add: Coast Capital Savings

2014:
delete: SportsAction, Vancouver Province, Vancouver Sun

I don't know if there's anything negative to be read into this. Sponsors come and go. Sponsorships are agreed on to run a finite amount of time and eventually expire. Non-renewal doesn't necessarily mean the sponsor wasn't satisfied with what they got from the sponsorship; they might simply be concerned with overexposing their brand to any particular demographic. I'm sure some people would be happy, for example, if Wendy's ads no longer appeared during games. I suppose one might be concerned that the Lions only have five premier partners versus nine just two years ago.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
The people throwing those footballs couldn't throw more than 10 rows up
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
notahomer wrote:
The people throwing those footballs couldn't throw more than 10 rows up
Are you referring to the Nissan promotion where they drive a pickup along the length of the field behind the Lions' bench and throw free mini-footballs into the crowd from the back? I think notahomer is talking something different, where there's a fan onfield throwing footballs through a small target hole in a large sheet, to win cash. They had that last year but it seems to have quietly disappeared this year.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Are you referring to the Nissan promotion where they drive a pickup along the length of the field behind the Lions' bench and throw free mini-footballs into the crowd from the back? I think notahomer is talking something different, where there's a fan onfield throwing footballs through a small target hole in a large sheet, to win cash. They had that last year but it seems to have quietly disappeared this year.
Yup, I meant the nerf-type footballs (in SportsAction colours, I believe) tossed through a small target hole. There have been the odd winner but it just doesn't translate to a big stadium. For e.g. the donut challenge (its on the video board, easy to see, easy to understand), the Optik ball, (its huge, we can see whats going on...) but this SportsAction thing went from an easy to watch/understand to a carnival style game stuck in the corner (NorthEast usually, IIRC). If sportsAction comes back I hope they go back to the old game using the Juggs machine....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Are you referring to the Nissan promotion where they drive a pickup along the length of the field behind the Lions' bench and throw free mini-footballs into the crowd from the back? I think notahomer is talking something different, where there's a fan onfield throwing footballs through a small target hole in a large sheet, to win cash. They had that last year but it seems to have quietly disappeared this year.
Yup, I meant the nerf-type footballs (in SportsAction colours, I believe) tossed through a small target hole. There have been the odd winner but it just doesn't translate to a big stadium. For e.g. the donut challenge (its on the video board, easy to see, easy to understand), the Optik ball, (its huge, we can see whats going on...) but this SportsAction thing went from an easy to watch/understand to a carnival style game stuck in the corner (NorthEast usually, IIRC). If sportsAction comes back I hope they go back to the old game using the Juggs machine....
There were probably liability concerns with the Juggs machine of fans getting injured. Those balls are coming down with some force behind them, plus the contestant could injure themselves in a fall trying to make the catch.

Or, if the home side receivers happen to be having a bad night of the dropsies, they'd be badly shown up if some random fan ended up making three clean catches.

Neither catching or throwing saw a lot of winners and that might be as big a reason to drop them as anything else when it's not much of a feel-good promotion. Wendy's dropped their Kick for a Million contest and I think it was partly because (after the one guy who won it in the first year) no one was even getting close to making the million dollar kick and the whole thing was turning into a rather anti-climactic exercise.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:There were probably liability concerns with the Juggs machine of fans getting injured. Those balls are coming down with some force behind them, plus the contestant could injure themselves in a fall trying to make the catch.

Or, if the home side receivers happen to be having a bad night of the dropsies, they'd be badly shown up if some random fan ended up making three clean catches.

Neither catching or throwing saw a lot of winners and that might be as big a reason to drop them as anything else when it's not much of a feel-good promotion. Wendy's dropped their Kick for a Million contest and I think it was partly because (after the one guy who won it in the first year) no one was even getting close to making the million dollar kick and the whole thing was turning into a rather anti-climactic exercise.
all good points sj-roc. Its like the 'what would I do if I wasn't a football player promo'. Very funny and I think its sponsored by a government ministry. Good fun but it seems like the kids might be getting coached. I only say this because it seems to have a winner every game, but its fun and thats probably the true point of these promos.

The cheapest and most entertaining, IMO, are the DanceCams and Kiss-cams. Light on prizes and nothing but free laughs....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:There were probably liability concerns with the Juggs machine of fans getting injured. Those balls are coming down with some force behind them, plus the contestant could injure themselves in a fall trying to make the catch.

all good points sj-roc. Its like the 'what would I do if I wasn't a football player promo'. Very funny and I think its sponsored by a government ministry. Good fun but it seems like the kids might be getting coached. I only say this because it seems to have a winner every game, but its fun and thats probably the true point of these promos.

The cheapest and most entertaining, IMO, are the DanceCams and Kiss-cams. Light on prizes and nothing but free laughs....
I've been wondering about that one, if maybe they have three versions of the ending to play after the kid gives an answer, and then the guy in the booth just makes sure to play the right ending FTW. I recall there was one last year where the answer that played wasn't among the three listed options.

I wonder about the future of the kiss cam as we move to greater LGBT acceptance. Will we ever see a same-sex couple on the kiss cam and not have it played for laughs (two men) or titillation (two women), rather just played straight (poor choice of words here, I realise, but you know what I mean)?
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
notahomer wrote:

I've been wondering about that one, if maybe they have three versions of the ending to play after the kid gives an answer, and then the guy in the booth just makes sure to play the right ending FTW. I recall there was one last year where the answer that played wasn't among the three listed options.

I wonder about the future of the kiss cam as we move to greater LGBT acceptance. Will we ever see a same-sex couple on the kiss cam and not have it played for laughs (two men) or titillation (two women), rather just played straight (poor choice of words here, I realise, but you know what I mean)?
Are you putting yourself up for the task sj-roc?
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Are you putting yourself up for the task sj-roc?
Only if it's with you. :P
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
Rammer wrote:Are you putting yourself up for the task sj-roc?
Only if it's with you. :P
That isn't going to work out then...we will have to find someone else to make that kiss cam history. :cr:
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

There have been some interesting shots with those crowd-cams this season anyways....

IIRC, one person was wearing a t-shirt denouncing the catholic church.....(might have been kiss-cam or dance cam?)

another guy had the 'stop harper' sticker that he showcased while smooching with a female nearby...

You bring up a good point but I still think we are heading in the right direction. The Lions domestic violence campaign is (I'm betting anyways) a strong topic of discussion within the NFL considering their camel-straws that have impacted this season. Its becoming obvious that this HAS been an NFL issue for years and only now are they regretting not doing anything about it.
dupsdell1
Champion

Anybody take a look at the tickets sales for the Calgary game looks impressive, I know there is the guaranteed night tickets , if the the lions could win the next 2 games that game could get 35,000 , I could imagine what the attendance would have been if there was no guaranteed night.