MMQB crew (including Peter King) Comes to CFL Opening week

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

globespanner
Rookie

On the opening week of the CFL season, June 24-July1, the MMQB crew of reporters will be fanning out across Canada to attend opening games in every city.

Here is the quote from today's MMQB.
A few words about my schedule for the next month or so.

I’ll be taking two weeks vacation starting tomorrow, then returning to work for one week, for some unique coverage of Canadian football during the week of June 24. We’re going to cover the opening week of the Canadian Football League season, assuming the players and owners have their labor (or should I say, “labour”) situation straightened out, and they seemed close to a resolution on Sunday. Assuming the league is playing in week one, we’ll be covering it at The MMQB. When that coverage ends on July 1, I’ll be away until July 17.

I will be writing Monday Morning Quarterback, live from Regina, Saskatchewan, on Monday, June 30. The Saskatchewan Roughriders, defending Grey Cup champions, open their season on Sunday, June 29 (assuming they’re not on strike), and I’ll be there. Unless I screw it up, my MMQB on Monday the 30 ought to be a CFL spectacular. I’m looking forward to my time in Canada. And for you Winnipeg fans, you’ll have Jenny Vrentas at your opener on Thursday, so treat her well.
There is also an excellent article on Marc Trestman in this weeks column.

This is very cool and the best exposure the CFL could have. The revised MMQB is definitely "must read material " with new features everyday. Go the MMQB here
http://mmqb.si.com
JohnHenry
Champion

Thanks for the link, gs. It seems Canadian football is gaining more respect in the U.S, with CIS players being drafted by the NFL and positive articles being written about the CFL game and players.

Chad Johnson's recent comments that the CFL being just as fast and talented as the NFL, echoed Ricky Williams sentiments a few years back. The NFL gets the bigger athletes but most CFL players are equally talented, probably more motivated and play a more exciting brand of football. :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Who is MMQB ?
globespanner
Rookie

MMQB is Monday Morning Quaterback a digital Magazine published by SportsIllustrated. It is headed up by premier sportswriter Peter King who you see on TV all the time. By far the best website for NFL junkies. It has a bevy of reporters who write on all things football past and present. It is my go to, must read.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:Thanks for the link, gs. It seems Canadian football is gaining more respect in the U.S, with CIS players being drafted by the NFL and positive articles being written about the CFL game and players.

Chad Johnson's recent comments that the CFL being just as fast and talented as the NFL, echoed Ricky Williams sentiments a few years back. The NFL gets the bigger athletes but most CFL players are equally talented, probably more motivated and play a more exciting brand of football. :thup:
Good points, JH. And thanks for the link, gs.

I referenced this in the CBA thread, the notion that when the CFL gets more exposure, the recognition will follow.

As I have indicated a number of times, having followed many sports, the CFL since 2003 has been my favourite pro or amateur sport. :thup: And that, of course, is when Bobby Ackles brought Wally Buono to town. A serious man, for a serious situation, making the tough decisions, for the right reasons, if not always the right result.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

globespanner wrote:MMQB is Monday Morning Quaterback a digital Magazine published by SportsIllustrated. It is headed up by premier sportswriter Peter King who you see on TV all the time. By far the best website for NFL junkies. It has a bevy of reporters who write on all things football past and present. It is my go to, must read.

Thanks. Exposure of the CFL south of the 49th parallel is good.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
globespanner wrote:MMQB is Monday Morning Quaterback a digital Magazine published by SportsIllustrated. It is headed up by premier sportswriter Peter King who you see on TV all the time. By far the best website for NFL junkies. It has a bevy of reporters who write on all things football past and present. It is my go to, must read.

Thanks. Exposure of the CFL south of the 49th parallel is good.
As long as it's not Jon Cornish's butt.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Great link.

Trestman has not failed to mention his time in Montreal as influencing his style and approach as a HC. He has acknowledged how he has changed and the CFL. He must have been more isolated when he was an OC from some players and other coaches.

He was asked about coaching differences and said it was harder in the CFL with the extra man, motion rules, etc and how well they crafted the rules in the CFL!!

I like how he banned hazing and his rationale. To me hazing in sports is like establishing a pecking order in animals. It creates sheep not leaders and puts some on top who later on become those doing it to others. He is right - the locker room is a work place and it must be safe for all.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

IMO, above all else, Trestman is a QB whisperer. What the Bears fans are going to see from Cutler is the best QB that Cutler can be.