Burris signs with Redblacks......

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=442977

Hmmmm..... what of Demarco now...... trade bait for Winnipeg?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting signing. Shouldn't be a big shock though
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Instant credibility for the RedBlacks.

Glenn plus Burris. Very nice. Plus young DeMarco.

Much better than the Blue Bombers' QB staff. Maybe better than Montreal.

Good on the league for allowing the RedBlacks to be competitive from the get go.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
274always
All Star

squishy35 wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=442977

Can they really afford to keep Burris and Glenn? I find it odd that Kevin never had a press conference as Hank did.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Yup this is surprising, IMO. Really think we made out well in the draft now. I wonder if the Ticats protected Burris but due to changes let him go?

This is really going to be an interesting season, IMO. so many changes in so many places.
Qman
Champion

with no veterans, Ottawa has a ton of cap space. also i believe both glen and burris are making marginal starter money ~ 250-275ish.
With all that cap space they also should be aggressive in FA market Feb 11.
Rammer
Team Captain

274always wrote:

Can they really afford to keep Burris and Glenn? I find it odd that Kevin never had a press conference as Hank did.
Financially yes, as has been pointed out on their cap space, but I am not so sure that this combination is prepared for this mentally. Burris has always wanted to be the guy in town, and Glenn certainly deserves his playing time and asked for it in Calgary last year. So the real question is whether or not they can compliment one another or not, IMO.
Entertainment value = an all time low
JohnHenry
Champion

Qman wrote:with no veterans, Ottawa has a ton of cap space. also i believe both glen and burris are making marginal starter money ~ 250-275ish.
With all that cap space they also should be aggressive in FA market Feb 11.
Burris' new salary has been widely reported as $450,000 plus incentives. Sounds hard to believe but that might be the reality of the new SMS this season? The Bombers apparently offered $375,000 but were blown out of the water by Rouge et Noir. I believe Burris made about $300k last year in Hamilton with Glenn around $250k.

I could see the RB's bidding on N. Moore, S. Lawrence, Jamall & Jovon Johnson, S. Emery, J. Bourque along with other linemen. The Esks and Bombers are also hungry for players. The Lions will be in tough if they expect to upgrade the OL via FA.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DeMarco must be kind of frustrated unless he finds out that they will move Kevin Glenn. I agree with WCJ, this gives the franchise some super stability at the QB position and could inspire others to want to go there. Certainly Calgary benefitted from their top 3 group last year.

What I am bit surprised as is how the Bombers with O'Shea at the helm weren't more in the hunt as I think he will change the culture there. Having said that the Bombers have been total abject failures in protecting QBs and not just Pierce. The money tossed at Burris was apparently a factor.

BUT I don't care who is QB unless you have a good line and pass protection you aren't going to win and your QB's will fall like flies.

I don't know the rep of the Bombers GM but based on Popp's assessment it is pretty clear the RedBlacks GM is ready for the challenge.

TSN suggests that Glenn could be the bait for the Bombers.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I love what the REDBLACKs have done. It also shows how much difference it makes that teams were only able to protect 1 QB. If they were able to protect 2 I suspect teams like the Argos and Riders would've worked hard to sign the likes of Collaros and Willy to extensions instead of leaving the unprotected and undesirable for Ottawa in the expansion draft. I think that changed the whole dynamic of the draft and offseason QB market. DeMarco wouldn't have been available. Other than Glenn does anybody know for sure if Calgary protected MItchell or Tate? And if they got to protect 2 would Glenn have been protected? Collaros and Willy may well have been protected and resigned forcing Hamilton to go with Burris in 14. Ottawa could've been sitting with something like MItchell or Tate and some 3rd stringer with little more than some promise in practice. Where the Renegades entered their inaugural season with the weakest QB depth chart in the league the REDBLACKs enter their first season with the deepest QB talent in the league. I didn't see it coming but Ilike that they didn't stand pat when Burris came available. Kudos to them.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Trade DeMarco, keep two guys who are both on their last legs and expected to retire in the next year or two (and probably should have this year if not for expansion), and have no other young QB with game experience?

Waiter, I'll have what he's drinking.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:

Trade DeMarco, keep two guys who are both on their last legs and expected to retire in the next year or two (and probably should have this year if not for expansion), and have no other young QB with game experience?

Waiter, I'll have what he's drinking.
The person who'd be traded is the very disappointed Kevin Glenn but with Drew Willy going to the Bombers maybe they go after other players and go with the QBS they had before and Willy. The Rouge et Noire GM said Glenn was disappointed and that they agreed to wait a few days and talk again.

DeMarco can't be much happier either as he no doubt that he was escaping to be a starter and with Burris and Glenn he might not be number two there. Longer term he'd be fine.

Unless Campbell thinks like Austin and is prepared to use all three QBs as he did last year but in football other than some college teams that is like using more than one goalie in hockey - a violation of some insane unwritten rule that there can only be one starter.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Is Kevin Glenn Winnipeg bound ?

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=443541
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Is Kevin Glenn Winnipeg bound ?

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=443541
If I were Glenn I'd possibly want to get back to Calgary. I wonder if there is any interest there in him back ?
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Tweet from Kevin Glenn:

"@qterback5 Tell nick and Keron Ottawa some snakes they lied to me" #CFL #CFLFA14
Lloyd