Lions 37 - TiCats 17 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Oh Man, is there any site in the league that has such detailed, good analysis.

Thanks, Guys.

Awesome post, MLFan. :thup:

http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... 15#p314150

Courtney Taylor looks truly terrific. On just this game, he seems more explosive and productive than Nick Moore, Ernest Jackson or Kierie Johnson. Just one game, and they all have talent. :thup: And just having Geroy and Arland around with their professionalism really helps this group focus and grow. Such icons. Such leaders. :thup: And Travis Moore is looking like a wonderful hire as receivers coach.

Kudos to Roy Shivers once again. Wow.

Same with the D Line. Wow. Mitchell. Jordan. Evans. Wow. (And I think we knew that Carl Hairston would be a special D Line coach.)

LBs too. Bighill. Elimimian.

Roy is really hitting them deep now. Home run after home run. :thup:

I would not be surprised if Benjamin Ossai is also really talented at O Tackle.
Blitz
Team Captain

What a treat of a game to watch, in terms of our Leos performance..I'm still savoring it. This was a game in which we could have come out flat, travelling east, coming off a big win last week against Calgary. Instead, we looked very motivated as well as very well prepared.

Here are my post game thoughts.

THE GOOD

OFFENCE

In my Keys to the Game I wrote that the Hamilton defense provided our offence with an opportunity for a break out game. It certainly was. The combination of our offensive line providing Lulay with a lot of time to throw on many plays (and when they didn't Lulay did a great job of buying time with his mobility), our receivers being wide open, and Lulay finding our receivers time and time again with accurate throws thrown with zip and confidence made this a dominating performance.

We went into this game knowing that Hamilton had the worst pass defense in the league and took full advantage. Lulay threw for 243 yards in the first half alone, completed 16 our of 20 passes in the first half for 243 yards, and was 10.11 on second down conversions, aided by two Hamilton offside penalties. It was an offensive clinic as Chap, Lulay, and our receivers exploited every weakness in the Hamilton secondary and our offensive line picked up a lot of Hamilton blitzes successfully.

Lulay's performance was outstanding and as has been mentioned in other posts, he played with a heavy heart with the loss of his grandmother, he played coming off the flu the past week, and he continued in the game while having to shake off a painful hit to the shoulder area. It was as impressive a first half performance by a quarterback in the CFL as I've ever seen and WCJ has every reason to gloat and hammer his points regarding Lulay's performance.

Lulay is at his best when he gets everyone involved, as is our offence. and on our first two drives of the game everyone had touched the football and made plays. But credit also has to be given to Chapdelaine, for calling a brilliant game and I saw nuances in his play calling last night, as well as the sophistication, that makes him by far the best offensive coordinator in the league right now.

For myself, personally, it was so gratifying to see Courtney Taylor play so well. I loved him coming out of training camp and I'm so happy that he was able to get the opportunity to show his stuff. The catch that Courtney Taylor made in the end zone, which didn't count due to a Valli holding penalty, was incredible. I'm also really happy to see Nick Moore continue to play so well..he is so smooth and fluid. I never lost faith in him, even when he was taken out of the lineup earlier this season. As for Ernest Jackson, well we didn't go to him much but he made a nice catch early in the first quarter, he created a long pass interference penalty, ran the reverse well, blocked inside well on some pass plays, and his speed, lke Keirrie Johnson's in the game before, played an important role in creating space for the underneath stuff.

When we went with Moore and Taylor at slotback for the Calgary game, due to the injuries to Simon and Aralnd I wrote that I believed this was the lineup that would provide Lulay with what he needed....to not feel the pressure to throw to Simon, even when covered and to have more speed in the slots in order to burn defenses that decided to play us with tight coverage. Moore and Taylor have given us that vertifcal element in the slots that has changed the dynamic of our passing attack.

Kudos to Andrew Harris, who got his 20 touches and had another impressive performance.. the way he is able to get open in the passing game (and the way we are using him by not just having him run swing passes to the flat), his patience in the running game (and kudos to Kelly Bates for this as well) and the way Harris fights off tackles and makes plays is something special.

DEFENCE

When a defense loses its two dominating inside tackles in Khalif Mitchell and Eric Taylor and plays as well as our defense did in this game is a credit to our depth and our scouting. Shivers and Buono have done a great job in this area over the past two seasons. The best example was when we ran used a three man rush and it was a competition between Keron and Westerman as to whom would sack Burris first. Brandon Jordan had another solid game in relief. Anton McKenize, Adam Bighill, Reddick, and Sol E. all had very good games.

Dante Marsh did a great job of covering Williams and Banks and Phillips were very good at covering the Tabbies slot receivers for most of the game.

We held Hamilton to a field goal for three quarters. Hamilton didn't get a first down in the third quarter of the game. Once again dominating defense played a huge role in another victory.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Brown had two excellent returns in this game, with his long second half return setting up a touchdown. He may lack breakaway speed but he is very skillful return guy with excellent hands and once he gets an opening can make big plays and he showed that again against Hamilton.

THE BAD

This was a game in which it was difficult to find any weaknesses in our game. However, even with an outstanding performance there are always areas for improvement. A few include:

Paul McCallum continues to be inconsistent in his punting game and its hard to understand why because its not a distance problemm, which could be related to age but rather a technique/concentration problem. However, McCallum continues to be very solid in his field goal kicking.

Dean Valli continues to make bonehead plays each and every game..with either his procedure calls or his holding calls. With the amount of staring time he has enjoyed with our Leos he should be better.

We allowed Hamilton a long kick return in the fourth quarter that was slack coverage on our part. It didn't matter in this game but its not something we can afford in a close one.

Glenn Suitor, of any CFL media guy, makes me crazy and there were times watching the game that I wanted to jump into the television set and kick his #&@. i never comment on media guys but this is an exception. Suitor is so biased against our Leos. He tried to make the Courtney Taylor interference call dubious. He made a dubious interterference call against us look like it was something more. He tired to turn the hit on Iannuzzi into something accidental. And he plain gets it wrong so often that I feel like dancing on his face.

THE UGLY

The hit on Iannuzzi was ugly, with Iannuzzi in a very vulnerable position and was unnecessary for Webb to make the play. It was reckless. If Mitchell can get two games for torquing on an offensive lineman's arm this play should be even more severely punished but it won't be, even though it was much more dangerous. Here is to hoping that Innauzzi is ok...and he remembered the entire incident, which is a positive omen. Iannuzzi has really played well since we decided to use him as a sterter and here is to hoping for a speedy recovery for him.

WRAP

This was a game in which our coaching and our talent was on full display. It was also a game that exemplified the standard of play that is expected of each player by our coaching staff and the players for each other. We were hustling and going all out until the final whistle in a game that was decided much earlier.

This was a game to really get our offence on a roll as we go down the final stretch and that's what happened and it will only benefit us, in terms of confidence. We also showed that we could lose star players and keep on rolling and even play better.

Its a very good time to be a B.C. Lions fan!! :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

I love watching this team play :)

Travis Lulay is a friggin WARRIOR for playing after his Gma passed
2012 Season Ticket Holder
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Terrific post, Blitz. :thup:

I agree that Suitor was bending over backwards to take intent or guilt out of Webb's dirty hit on Iannuzzi.

Regarding the word "reckless" ...

To me reckless implies no intent to hurt, or injure, an opponent. Or reckless impiies no intent to put one's helmet as a weapon on an opponent's head, or chin or chest. So for me I would not use "reckless" in discussing Webb's dirty hit on Iannuzzi. To me, Webb put his helmet on Iannuzzi fully intending to ring his bell, or even just fully intending to place his helmet exactly where it went against the back of Iannuzzi's helmet. Maybe in his football apprenticeship, Webb was taught that such a hit is a football play. Gawd, that makes me angry, and disgusted. I fully support the move towards player health and safety in sports. I see no place for head shots in football. This is just a semantic discussion of what "reckless" means to me, not a disagreement with you. I personally would not use that word for Webb, as to me Webb knew exactly what he was doing, and with full intent to place his helmet right where it contacted Iannuzzi. Webb may have the attitude that such a hit is OK, and convinces himself that it is just a football play, but to me he needs to re-learn his attitude on it. He even made the gesture after, like what did I do? Deeper in his mind he knew. He knew Iannuzzi was vulnerable. He knew he was going to drive his helmet into the back of Iannuzzi's helmet. To me that is intent. To me that is not reckless/careless.

In court, "Well, Your Honour, I didn't really know where my helmet hit him. I was careless." = Reckless.

As a professional athlete, in amazing control of one's body, "Yes, Your Honour, I knew my helmet would make contact with the back of his head, but I don't think about possible concussion, just about delivering as hard a hit as I can, even borderline, as I was taught by my coaches throughout the years." = Intent. IMO

Just IMO, and just a discussion of semantics, and intent. Reckless lessens the guilt. As has been discussed on here, as in hockey, you are responsible for your stick, so in football you are responsible for where your helmet hits the opponent.
Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:Glenn Suitor, of any CFL media guy, makes me crazy and there were times watching the game that I wanted to jump into the television set and kick his #&@. i never comment on media guys but this is an exception. Suitor is so biased against our Leos. He tried to make the Courtney Taylor interference call dubious. He made a dubious interterference call against us look like it was something more. He tired to turn the hit on Iannuzzi into something accidental. And he plain gets it wrong so often that I feel like dancing on his face.
Suitor is generally a good CFL colour commentator, however he was wrong about the hit by Webb on Iannuzzi initially. However to make the same mistake after the halftime show, I was with you on wanting shut his trap in quick order. The only thing that I can think is that must be the way he played the game and he hasn't kept up with the times. Iannuzzi showed his moxie, a true warrior wanting to get back up instinctually, but that was alarming to witness from a fans perspective, let alone from a family member as I can only imagine. I only have this to say to Suits, if that was a legal hit as you maintained, there won't be many receivers left in the league if that was applied on each hit give, think about it....please.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Oh Man, is there any site in the league that has such detailed, good analysis.

Thanks, Guys.

Awesome post, MLFan. :thup:

http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... 15#p314150

Courtney Taylor looks truly terrific. On just this game, he seems more explosive and productive than Nick Moore, Ernest Jackson or Kierie Johnson. Just one game, and they all have talent. :thup: And just having Geroy and Arland around with their professionalism really helps this group focus and grow. Such icons. Such leaders. :thup: And Travis Moore is looking like a wonderful hire as receivers coach.

Kudos to Roy Shivers once again. Wow.

Same with the D Line. Wow. Mitchell. Jordan. Evans. Wow. (And I think we knew that Carl Hairston would be a special D Line coach.)

LBs too. Bighill. Elimimian.

Roy is really hitting them deep now. Home run after home run. :thup:

I would not be surprised if Benjamin Ossai is also really talented at O Tackle.

That's true about Taylor...while Jackson, Moore and Johnson all look good, and are nice finds, Courtney Taylor looks like a STAR...and he has only played 2 freaking games...he has tremendous hands, yes, but incredible explosion once he gets the ball, and he is not that big of a man...what a find is right...and I guarantee we won't be putting him back on the practise roster even when everyone is back...we can't!

I forgot about Ben Ossai...he looked VERY GOOD in preseason and I believe he is on the practise roster...I think he is going to make a very good pro...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
pennw
Legend

Blitz wrote: Glenn Suitor, of any CFL media guy, makes me crazy and there were times watching the game that I wanted to jump into the television set and kick his #&@. i never comment on media guys but this is an exception. Suitor is so biased against our Leos. He tried to make the Courtney Taylor interference call dubious. He made a dubious interterference call against us look like it was something more. He tired to turn the hit on Iannuzzi into something accidental. And he plain gets it wrong so often that I feel like dancing on his face.
I agree with everything in your post Blitz .
On Suitor , you're bang on , and this was the GOOD Suitor we saw last night . The bad Suitor comes out when he's covering Rider games . In those games you'd think you were watching Rider's own media guys doing the coverage instead of national coverage (Suitor blatantly denied his Bias though recently when panelists were asked about their biases ) . In those games ,the replays plus commentary so heavily favour the Riders it's ridicules .When he's flat out wrong and the replay shows he's wromg , he just ignores what the replay shows . And also has a tendency to get sidetracked on something and forget there is a game on the viewer wants to see, not the side issue Suitor is onto .
Some people complain about Rod Black , but give me the Forde/Black combo any day over Suitor .

Last night his defense of the hit on Ianuzzi was ,sadly, very predicable . Nice to hear the half time panel condemn it immediately though .
lion24
Legend

Apparently to go along with the moron Webb and his hit the Lions were not happy with Stala running around cut blocking the defensive players :thdn:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Great post Blitz...and I want to repeat my kudos to you on both Moore and Taylor...from the moment it looked like they would be our starting slots, you were all over how and why they would help the O, and you were exactly right...

Both have STRETCHED the field, something that Simon and Bruce weren't doing, allowing teams to creep closer and closer to the LOS, making many things more possible for opposing Defences, including disguising blitzes...I hate to say this, and don't want to start a controversy, but honestly, since Moore and Taylor have been in the lineup (and clearly they will only get better with more time in the system) our Offence is BETTER...flat out better...

We were both excited going into the game last night with this receiving corp, which may have sounded funny to some, but they are simply hard to cover and scare the crap out of defenders...big, tall, fast, quick, great hands, big YAC, again, I hate to say this, but this is the BEST receiving corp we have put on the field all season...and Iannuzzi is a BIG part of this...he absolutely deserves to be starting, and as he gets a little bigger, stronger, is going to be a star in this league. I just hope he is okay...the enviable position the Lions have with Iannuzzi, is that we can bring him along slowly for the playoffs and put Foster and PJ in his spot until then...now that is talent and depth...

Huge kudos to Wally and Shivers for the depth on this team...and to MB for allowing guys to play with fire and passion and for not clipping their wings...MB is a very good HC right now, and will become a great one.

The comments about Suitor are bang on...he does NOT like the Lions and always supports whoever is playing against us, IMO, and his comments on the Iannuzzi hit were bizarre to say the least...who cares about the timing of the hit...the guy left his feet, at full speed, with the CROWN of his helmet against an exposed player...BRUTAL...that is the definition of a dirty hit...and it doesn't require anyone supporting it...

And to DanPayneFan, you are right sir...Lulay is a warrior...his toughness is under rated...a great QB is not a great QB when he is sitting in the press box...Lulay stays on the field and gives this team continuity where it counts most...and this is why the guys love him so much, he leads by example, and that is calm, cool toughness, and that is why he is the best QB in the league!

And again, thanks to all the guys on this board for such insightful posts...it is always a worthwhile way to spend part of my day!

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

lion24 wrote:Apparently to go along with the moron Webb and his hit the Lions were not happy with Stala running around cut blocking the defensive players :thdn:
That's true...some of the Lions went after him late in the game as well...Hamilton's a cheap, cheap football team...

It was nice to see Ryan Phillips sticking up for team mates...you know when things like this happen, absolution from God can't be far away...

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Special treat watching that game, and reading the reviews. :thup:

I expect some players read these threads.

And for me, I commented a lot about Roy Shivers and the truly outstanding work he has been doing with the imports. For years we lacked depth at receiver, linebacker and D Line. Not any more, huh?

But I want to comment on the non imports too.

One tends to see the QB, the receivers, Harris, the DBs, and the LBs.

Less time is spent by me, watching live, the O Line and the D Line. That usually requires looking at the tape. Although modern TV coverage does show a lot in replays.

In the little I saw specifically Jabar was driving two blockers deep into the backfield. :thup: Just a terrific draft pick, and player.

Awesome talent and depth at NI receiver ... Gore, Iannuzzi, Foster, and PJ.

Some health issues with NI O Line guys. Not an insurmountable problem, IMO. Just as we picked up Kabongo, there are "tons" of NI O Linemen produced and great depth of talent out there. But we need to hit a home run or two in our draft. I think Kirby may not get that NFL cup of coffee his agent was hoping for also.

IMO Muamba is going to be just fine. Notice less attempts to take advantage of him.

IMO we need to keep in mind depth behind Andrew Harris. Are there any NI phenoms coming up in next year's draft?

Pretty good shape at NI linebacker. Kicker.

So Neil McAvoy and Kelly Bates get kudos too for the work in NI personnel. And I expect Benny is still heavily involved there. And ya know, I suppose even Wally takes a passing interest in the personnel work. :thup: :wink:
David
Team Captain

Great analysis MexicoLionFan. Agree, kudos to Blitz for recognizing the star potential in Taylor and Moore. He's been talking those two up for awhile now and with justification. While I recognize that it was a porous Hamilton defense that we played last night, I can see that these guys deserve to be in the line-up. They have speed, they're getting open, and they're making the tough catches. Tough decisions for Wally and the staff in the off-season.

I'll quibble with one point though. I thought the defense was 'alright' last night as opposed to 'very strong.' B to a B-. Burris was still 71% on the night and would have been more productive if not for some dropped passes and the fact he was only on the field for 20 minutes. We had 2 sacks (Keron Williams has been an absolute stud this season), but I thought we could have exploited the Ti-Cats rookie laden O-line a little more than we did, and our run defense was not particularly effective; Avon Cobourne (8 yard average) was slicing through our D a little too easily for my liking (but we were missing our two starting D tackles so I'll cut them some slack).

Lin-J Shell looks lost at times to me. I expected big things when we signed him as he was a stalwart on the Argos and one of the leading tacklers in the league last year. But he continues to miss tackles and be a step behind the play. One of the bigger disappointments this season.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Points well made, David.

Burris and the O was effective at times, and close to being very effective.

And it seems to me this three man line is not going to bring the pass rush pressure a six man rotation brings.

I think it might be time to sit Solo down.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

This is testament to Just how durable and effective has Lulay is... 40 consecutive starts! I can't find out exactly how many consecutive starts Roy Dewalt had, but you have to go back nearly 30 years just to find a QB who has started anywhere near as many games in a row as Lulay.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote: I'll quibble with one point though. I thought the defense was 'alright' last night as opposed to 'very strong.' B to a B-. Burris was still 71% on the night and would have been more productive if not for some dropped passes and the fact he was only on the field for 20 minutes. We had 2 sacks (Keron Williams has been an absolute stud this season), but I thought we could have exploited the Ti-Cats rookie laden O-line a little more than we did, and our run defense was not particularly effective; Avon Cobourne (8 yard average) was slicing through our D a little too easily for my liking (but we were missing our two starting D tackles so I'll cut them some slack).

Lin-J Shell looks lost at times to me. I expected big things when we signed him as he was a stalwart on the Argos and one of the leading tacklers in the league last year. But he continues to miss tackles and be a step behind the play. One of the bigger disappointments this season.

DH :cool:
I agree with you on this one David. I thought there wasn't enough pressure at times but given the absence of Mitchell and Taylor it was understandable. The 30 front looked effective at times but Sol E and Bighill both missed sacks on Burris after coming through untouched. I actually had forgot the Lions started the 2011 season with a 30 defence when Benevides wanted to get Adam Leonard on the field with Sol E McKenzie and Banks (at the time) playing nickel.