Solomon Elimimiam and Adam Bighill

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote:IIRC, the Aloettes were the last team to go back to back, accomplished at the expense of the Riders and their 13th man mind you.
Oops. Thanks Phil. Must've had that Sometimers disease kicking in. How could I forget that.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Rammer wrote:IIRC, the Aloettes were the last team to go back to back, accomplished at the expense of the Riders and their 13th man mind you.
Oops. Thanks Phil. Must've had that Sometimers disease kicking in. How could I forget that.
Still a real possibility for the Lions this season, and a first for any Lions team if they can do it.
Entertainment value = an all time low
South Pender
Legend

When Elimimian went to the Vikings, I thought that he would likely be regarded as a little too small, at 230 lbs., for linebacker in the NFL. It's seemed that most NFL 'backers are in the 250 range. However, after learning the other night that Ray Lewis dropped 30 lbs. to get to 230, my view on this may have to change!
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I agree with you Hambone...as long as Wally is making a concerted effort to get a 2 year deal done with Sol, then that is all he can do right now...a 2 year deal plus option for Sol makes any realistic shot at the NFL evaporate, and keeps him a Lion for his career...I just worry that if Wally doesn't get him signed to an extension now, and Sol tries in NFL camps again next summer, his exclusive rights to the Lions will disappear and he will become a CFL FA...this I do NOT want to see....

If Sol plays in the CFL, then he should be a Lion...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
cromartie
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:When Elimimian went to the Vikings, I thought that he would likely be regarded as a little too small, at 230 lbs., for linebacker in the NFL. It's seemed that most NFL 'backers are in the 250 range. However, after learning the other night that Ray Lewis dropped 30 lbs. to get to 230, my view on this may have to change!
Sizewise, he's the equivalent, give or take an inch, of Brendan Ayanbadejo of the Baltimore Ravens. As I said when he left to go to the NFL, and I still content, he could fulfill a role similar to that of Ayanbadejo in Baltimore. That's his upside.

The LB role in the NFL is evolving away from the traditional run stopping hard hitting Middle/Sam in a 4-3 toward players who are slightly thinner but with more speed to adjust to the short passing game more readily. SolE strikes me as just a touch too slow for a full time LB role in the NFL. But he could be a terrific special teamer/backup LB in the right opportunity.
Tighthead
Legend

cromartie wrote:
South Pender wrote:When Elimimian went to the Vikings, I thought that he would likely be regarded as a little too small, at 230 lbs., for linebacker in the NFL. It's seemed that most NFL 'backers are in the 250 range. However, after learning the other night that Ray Lewis dropped 30 lbs. to get to 230, my view on this may have to change!
Sizewise, he's the equivalent, give or take an inch, of Brendan Ayanbadejo of the Baltimore Ravens. As I said when he left to go to the NFL, and I still content, he could fulfill a role similar to that of Ayanbadejo in Baltimore. That's his upside.

The LB role in the NFL is evolving away from the traditional run stopping hard hitting Middle/Sam in a 4-3 toward players who are slightly thinner but with more speed to adjust to the short passing game more readily. SolE strikes me as just a touch too slow for a full time LB role in the NFL. But he could be a terrific special teamer/backup LB in the right opportunity.
The 3-4 ILBs are getting lighter and faster as well, same reason. When Dallas first drafted Sean Lee I thought he looked like a high schooler, but he is all over the field and making plays in coverage.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Elimi ... story.html
Elimimian’s return not quite an elementary problem

By Lowell Ullrich, The Province September 12, 2012

Rich Stubler, the easygoing defensive coordinator of the B.C. Lions who could make nuclear physics sound simple, has a typical way to describe his position group and how it might be affected by one of the hardest hitters to play in the CFL in a while, Solomon Elimimian.

“Football’s simple. You have to dress up a pretty girl differently,” Stubler said.

And should Elimimian return to assume a role in what currently is the league’s best defence, he will become an accessory, if you will, to Cindy Crawford or Tyra Banks.

What kind of role has been a topic pushed aside for a while and likely be on the shelf for another few days should Elimimian’s contract revert to the Lions at 1 p.m. today if he has not landed work in the NFL.

The 10-day window that allows players to seek NFL work after being released, which was Elimimian’s fate when he was released by the Cleveland Browns Sept. 3, is almost up, and if his agent can’t soon secure a practice roster spot, the Lions will have the delightful prospect of having him and Adam Bighill to play middle linebacker.

It would placate the world outside the one which coach Mike Benevides resides if he simply chooses one player or the other, yet Stubler’s defence is predicated on its diversity, and the Lions like having options.

And though it won’t factor in the Lions’ game Saturday against the Toronto Argonauts, there’s potential change in the forecast, which has already drawn concern on a 7-3 team where little has not gone their way.

“This is going to disrupt the harmony a little. You’re foolish to deny it and understand it,” said general manager Wally Buono, who would have until Tuesday to place Elimimian back on his roster if the Lions receive his rights and doesn’t expect the player to surface at least until Friday.

“But there’s nothing wrong with that. Players all have to deal with competition.”

Where the Lions would like the focus is their play on both sides of the ball these days, which was nothing short of exemplary in their 43-10 win over Montreal last week.

Having snapped the 300-yard passing streak of Montreal quarterback Anthony Calvillo, the Lions can go back to work holding down the Argos. The last time Toronto scored an offensive touchdown against the Lions was Sept. 11, 2010, going back 14 quarters and the days of Cleo Lemon under centre.

Overall, the Lions have held opponents this year to a touchdown or less in seven of their 10 games. There is not a pressing need to make any kind of change, and players are hopeful the Lions tread lightly.

“I can see it if we had two wins. To shake it up with another distraction that’s unnecessary would be negative,” defensive back Ryan Phillips said. “A guy like [Elimimian] is enticing to go after. But you never know what you’re stirring up. I don’t want to see anything shaken up in a negative fashion. You have guys looking over their shoulder.”

Bighill, of course, is potentially in the middle, in more ways than one.

“I just want to display that I’m doing my job consistently making the plays I’m supposed to make,” he said.

A trade is an option, but the Lions were handcuffed by broadcast remarks by Elimimian’s agent, Bardia Ghahremani, who told Team 1040 last week his client was only interested in completing his CFL contract and would resume seeking NFL work after the season.

Benevides said if Elimimian shows, he wouldn’t play anywhere other than special teams to start, but stressed in no way are the Lions locked into playing one linebacker or the other.

“It won’t be an issue because he knows us,” Benevides said.

Stubler sounded even more committed to Bighill, whose numbers this season are equal to those of Elimimian in 2010, when he was the CFL’s top rookie.

“The grass is still pretty green on my side. If you finish training camp with us and unless we trade you, you’re here forever,” Stubler said.

And as one who has practically been around forever, Stubler hasn’t forgotten the pending scenario is similar to something he’s seen before with the Lions.

In 1999, B.C. middle linebacker Paul Lacoste won the league’s top rookie award but was cut the next year by the Lions four games after returning from a failed NFL bid with the Indianapolis Colts, partly as a result of a sideline disagreement with his defensive coordinator.

Stubler was the guy on the sideline, and knew something about dressing up a defence back then, too.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“This is going to disrupt the harmony a little. You’re foolish to deny it and understand it,” said general manager Wally Buono, who would have until Tuesday to place Elimimian back on his roster if the Lions receive his rights and doesn’t expect the player to surface at least until Friday.

“But there’s nothing wrong with that. Players all have to deal with competition.”
Overall, the Lions have held opponents this year to a touchdown or less in seven of their 10 games. There is not a pressing need to make any kind of change, and players are hopeful the Lions tread lightly.
“I can see it if we had two wins (not seven). To shake it up with another distraction that’s unnecessary would be negative,” defensive back Ryan Phillips said. “A guy like [Elimimian] is enticing to go after. But you never know what you’re stirring up. I don’t want to see anything shaken up in a negative fashion. You have guys looking over their shoulder.”
Bighill, of course, is potentially in the middle, in more ways than one.

“I just want to display that I’m doing my job consistently making the plays I’m supposed to make,” he said.
A trade is an option, but the Lions were handcuffed by broadcast remarks by Elimimian’s agent, Bardia Ghahremani, who told Team 1040 last week his client was only interested in completing his CFL contract and would resume seeking NFL work after the season.
Benevides said if Elimimian shows, he wouldn’t play anywhere other than special teams to start, but stressed in no way are the Lions locked into playing one linebacker or the other.

“It won’t be an issue because he knows us,” Benevides said.
Stubler sounded even more committed to Bighill, whose numbers this season are equal to those of Elimimian in 2010, when he was the CFL’s top rookie.

“The grass is still pretty green on my side. If you finish training camp with us and unless we trade you, you’re here forever,” Stubler said.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Of course Ryan Phillips would say that...he is afraid of getting accidentally hit by Eliminian...the less Sol E. flying around on Defence, the safer it is for Phillips...

Albert Einstein
Blitz
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:Of course Ryan Phillips would say that...he is afraid of getting accidentally hit by Eliminian...the less Sol E. flying around on Defence, the safer it is for Phillips...
I don't think you're serious about your quote above...although I know you love Sol E. and what he can bring. I was surprised that Phillips commented publically....even if those were his views...not a ususal vet thing to do in this type of situation.

Looks like Sol E., if he arrives, won't play against Toronto and will likely play special teams the following game.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Elimimian is exactly the same size as another ex: Lion LB Shelton Quarles who also left for a crack at the NFL and played for over a decade.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

If Eliminian won't sign an extension with the Lions, then I agree that he should be used situationally throughout the rest of the year...I would love to see him as our permanent MLB, but if he is going to leave us in limbo, then we obviously must commit to Bighill and have Sol help us as much as he can.

Albert Einstein
South Pender
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:If Eliminian won't sign an extension with the Lions, then I agree that he should be used situationally throughout the rest of the year...I would love to see him as our permanent MLB, but if he is going to leave us in limbo, then we obviously must commit to Bighill and have Sol help us as much as he can.
That makes sense. I do worry a little about Bighill's dropoff in the last game and whether the whole Elimimian affair--dragging on as it has now for several weeks--has proven or will prove a damaging distraction to the defensive side of the team. HC Benny needs to see that this doesn't happen, and that the team chemistry is maintained. I think that if Elimimian is played as suggested (situationally and with no real threat to Bighill), the team could benefit.
Rammer
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:If Eliminian won't sign an extension with the Lions, then I agree that he should be used situationally throughout the rest of the year...I would love to see him as our permanent MLB, but if he is going to leave us in limbo, then we obviously must commit to Bighill and have Sol help us as much as he can.
That makes sense. I do worry a little about Bighill's dropoff in the last game and whether the whole Elimimian affair--dragging on as it has now for several weeks--has proven or will prove a damaging distraction to the defensive side of the team. HC Benny needs to see that this doesn't happen, and that the team chemistry is maintained. I think that if Elimimian is played as suggested (situationally and with no real threat to Bighill), the team could benefit.
Do the Lions benefit down the road though. If SolE is going to try another attempt at the NFL, there would be a distinct possibility that he may return to the CFL yet again. If that was the case wouldn't you want him leaving BC with a good taste in his mouth about his role with the Lions. Also, it would be beneficial to see where you would deploy him from a Lions perspective, seeing if he is an upgrade on Bighill as well. Of course the two concepts fly in the face of Bighill, as you may also need him for 2013 with SolE making an NFL team, but even at least until LD weekend when SolE could make his return.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Gotta say Solo has shown a strong propensity for the NFL, and little propensity for the Lions and the CFL.

If he goes and tries the NFL again next year, which is a virtual certainty, it seems, and fails, then he would come back to the CFL as a free agent. As a free agent, the odds of him returning to the Lions are very slim IMO.

If a player does not have a passion to be in a certain place ... He is like a rental. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Now if Solo was keen on the CFL, and keen on the Lions, and not likely to be lost in free agency, this would be a different story. As it is now, I would say it is unrequited love on our city's part.

He was awesome last year. For us, not so much this year.

Another thing, we know what he can do as a middle linebacker. We don't know what he can do as a rush end. As an outside linebacker, and as a situational player, he should be fine. I expect he will be gangbusters as an ST player, which is also his best chance in the NFL.

We have already seen some of the distraction aspect from the players side, in Ryan Phillips' comments. I doubt if he is the only one thinking like that. Players love the ones that are here, and have been here, and have gone to battle with them in this campaign. And they love a guy like Khalif Mitchell that has shown loyalty to the team, to the players that are here, to the football family, and to the league.

Not intending to offend Solo's dedicated fans, as I was one last year as well. This year, I will need some convincing as to his attitude to the league. Not all that impressed if this is just a whistle stop on his continued journey to the NFL. He may well catch on next year in the NFL, as happened with Brendon Ayanbadejo, Shelton Quarles and others. In that case, it would be Sayonara once again, nice knowing you.

No questioning his talent. And no questioning anyone's right to seek greater money in the NFL.

Yes, he will make some eye popping hits in his time here. Is that enough?

He will definitely add to our talent, flexibility and depth.

Just IMO, not intending to offend, or cause outrage, or shocked disbelief ...