Game Day Thread, Bombers @ Lions, June 29, 2012

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Midnight ... Ta da ... Game Day. Whooo Hoooooo

The Lions remember the tweets of Jonathan Hefney of the Bombers after we beat them in the Grey Cup last year.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Blata ... story.html

From the column of Lowell Ullrich ...
‘Blatantly disrespectful’ tweet by Winnipeg DB has Lions ready to play
“It was blatantly disrespectful. I felt like it was a coward move to say that after the fact, after [Hefney] had just got beat for a touchdown,” Lions veteran Ryan Phillips said. “At the end of the day ... you didn’t make enough plays to win. We did.”
“That’s like if I ran a red light and I get pulled over I can’t say I wish it was yellow or green. It happened,” said Lions receiver Arland Bruce. “If he was on my team, I’d say, ‘Don’t be a sore loser.’”
“Well, that’s the goal,” Bruce clarified Thursday. “We’re not going to say we’re going to go 0-18.”

“I got 1-0 on my mind,” said Lions head coach Mike Benevides, unaware he had just waded into his first minefield in his new job.
“Got this game coming tomorrow, that’s all I’m worried about,” Hefney said Thursday. “That’s just my personal opinion. I would tell them [the same thing] on the field. I always talk because I can back it up.”
“That’s just [Hefney] being ignorant and not knowing when to be quiet,” said Korey Banks. “ Say what you want. We have the diamonds. Hefney can play. But him on Geroy all day, I’m taking Geroy. Him on Arland, I’m taking Arland. Him on [Johnson], I’m taking [Johnson]. I like our receivers over their secondary. It don’t matter. You can print it any kind of way you want.”
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Friesen's fearless CFL forecast
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 31866.html
By PAUL FRIESEN, QMI Agency

I don't know how you follow up an off-season like that, but beginning Friday night the Crazy Football League is going to try.

What other league could change half its head coaches and trade two former MVP, championship-winning quarterbacks in the space of six months?

Drama like that makes the 11th version of Friesen's Forecast rather challenging.

The following do not come with a money-back guarantee.

There's no guarantee they won't happen, either.

Week 1: The two transplanted quarterbacks have dramatic debuts, Henry Burris lighting it up for Hamilton, Ricky Ray leading the Argos to victory in Edmonton. High-definition TV shows Eskimos GM Eric Tillman's hair bristling on the sidelines.

Meanwhile, the Blue Bombers are throttled in Vancouver, but the week is considered a success because no running backs or quarterbacks are seriously injured.

Week 3: Jeff Reinebold's defence is making headlines in Montreal, not only for its play but also the rabid dedication to its new co-ordinator. Head coach Marc Trestman steps in, though, when one player is injured during a drill that involves walking over hot coals in bare feet.

Week 4: The Bombers fall to 0-4 in Toronto, after which Jovon Johnson and Jonathan Hefney tweet they have every confidence in the coaches and management to turn things around.

Week 5: The Riders go into their bye week with four straight wins. Head coach Corey Chamblin says it's amazing what you can do when fans aren't discussing your strategy on the internet.

Two more CFL teams, including Winnipeg, quickly ban fans from one practice a week.

Week 6: Reinebold returns to an adoring throng in Winnipeg, causing prominent psychologists to rethink long-held beliefs about the staying power of brainwashing. Trestman, however, is not amused when a few overzealous east-side fans throw their panties at the Sun God.

Week 8: Saskatchewan loses two in a row, and Chamblin extends his fan ban to three days a week.

Labour Day Weekend: The Riders beat the Bombers behind the stellar play of Odell Willis, who insists his five-sack, eight-tackle, one-interception and fumble-return touchdown performance had nothing to do with the way he was shipped out of Winnipeg.

Meanwhile, the Twitter Twins, Johnson and Hefney, say Winnipeg is the best 2-7 team they've ever been on.

Week 11: Willis has an eventful return to Winnipeg, flagged for five penalties and ejected from the Banjo Bowl. He spends the second half composing incomprehensible tweets from the Riders locker-room.

Week 13: The league fines Chamblin when it discovers he's been trolling other teams' fan forums trying to pry information in advance of key division games.

Week 15: Proving you need more than a good quarterback, the Argos continue to plummet in the standings, along with local interest in the team and the 100th Grey Cup game. People start asking questions about what happened to the $1 million the rest of the league gave Toronto for marketing.

Week 19: Brendon LaBatte, Joe Lobendahn and Greg Carr are West Division all-stars. Their replacements in Winnipeg are not.

Playoffs: The Riders announce they've struck a deal for a new stadium, confident they can fast-track construction for the 2014 season. Apparently, some Winnipeg-based company with recent experience building open-air facilities has promised it can deliver.

Bomber management stops laughing long enough to watch its team lose to the Ticats in the East semifinal.

Grey Cup: A beaming commissioner Mark Cohon declares it the best Grey Cup festival, ever. On the field, the Lions repeat as Cup champs, beating Montreal before a raucous crowd resembling last year's in Vancouver.

Turns out owner David Braley bought up every ticket discarded by Argos fans, gave them to B.C. supporters and paid their way to Toronto. Braley says it was $1 million well spent.
:thup:
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Well it's a brand new season, and all the horses are equal again

Looking forward to tonight all day long

Hope it's a barn burner :yahoo:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Rammer
Team Captain

Everything about the Grey Cup was set up for B.C. Y’all still an average team with some of the softest players in the league — Jonathan Hefney.
Just to bring the actual quote to the surface here.

I don't disagree with Hefney, afterall the GC was played in front of an orange audience, and the Lions did draw the Bombers afterall was said and done. :cool: As for the soft players, well he wouldn't know much about that, as when you are chasing from behind, it isn't possible to gauge, IMO.

I am glad that there are tensions between the Lions and Bombers again, as it brings back memories of the 80's for me. :thup: :popcorn:
Entertainment value = an all time low
MikeAK
All Star

It's about freakn' time!
274always
All Star

Which quarter will Geroy accomplish the feat? I'll say 3rd with the game way out of reach.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

its about time game day got here.. haha pretty excited today, hoping the record gets broken on a 99 yard TD so that momentum isnt a big factor :) GO LIONS
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Centrum22
Starter

Lots of video content from the Vancouver Sun regarding the Lions and tonight's game: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote:Well it's a brand new season, and all the horses are equal again

Looking forward to tonight all day long

Hope it's a barn burner :yahoo:

Doubt it. Lions by at least 20
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Centrum22 wrote:Lots of video content from the Vancouver Sun regarding the Lions and tonight's game: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html
Good link. Thanks
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Centrum22 wrote:Lots of video content from the Vancouver Sun regarding the Lions and tonight's game: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html
Enjoyed the link. Thanks.

Way to go, Iain and Mike.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

:popcorn: all thats left to decide is where to go for the pre-game meal downtown. So, so glad we're opening the season at BC Place instead of the now deconstructed Tempire.

Think this will be a different game than the Grey Cup. I think the Lions win again but the Grey Cup is always a different animal. That particular one was my favourite grey cup of all time due to me getting to see the Lions win right in front of me. However, as far as Grey Cups go, imo, it was not a classic football wise. I expect a crisper game out of both teams. Its hard not to cheer for Buck too but alas I can't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Is the game blacked out locally ?
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Never blacked out on TSN HD.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lowell Ullrich is hosting his game-day chat at 4:30 p.m. at provincesports.com. It's too late for me. I hope to be on the road by then. Last year's time of 2 p.m. was more convenient.