Geroy Simon, 15087 and counting ... 15192 ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Geroy ... story.html

Lowell Ullrich's article on Geroy Simon ...
Geroy Simon keeps building a Lions legacy

'I set goals. When I reach a goal, I set another,' says star receiver

By Lowell Ullrich, The Province June 26, 2012

KAMLOOPS — It was one of the ongoing subplots this year, the kind of thing to pass the time during the endless run of practice sessions.

A small mountain overlooks the spectacular setting at Thompson Rivers University and the site of the B.C. Lions training camp, but when it is suggested a name for the overlook is needed, it proves to be as difficult a chore as it is for club staffers to stake the peak as their own.

Mount Braley, Buono and Benevides were obvious submissions made for comic relief, but every time one of the equipment staffers would march up and plant a Lions flag on their behalf, it was removed later that night.

The suspicion was the deed was done by a local Riders fan.

Mount Simon was next, and with a league record in his sights it was immediately suggested that the receiver who is about to become the most prolific in CFL history should scale the peak one day to enjoy the view and, better still, pose for the kind of picture that gets you on the front page of a newspaper.

Geroy Simon would not go there, however, in more ways than one. Mostly, he joked, he wasn’t about to do his classic touchdown pose atop the hill because, given the Arctic conditions which prevailed throughout camp, he might become a permanent fixture.

But not going to the top of the mountain is also symbolic, he said, because there simply are more things to accomplish in a career that is about to continue into a 14th CFL season and, it appears, considerably longer.

It is the Lions’ hope that Simon will end his pursuit of Milt Stegall and become the league’s receiving yardage leader when the defending Grey Cup champions face the Winnipeg Blue Bombers at B.C. Place Stadium Friday.

The goal is 67 yards, nothing less. Stegall played 14 seasons and finished with 15,153 yards. In slightly less time, Simon is on the verge of capturing a league record that has been hard to maintain. In the last 12 years, five different receivers have spent time at the top.

It is why the record will have some meaning at the conclusion of his career, Simon said. For now, there is simply more to do for a franchise that had little or no credibility when Simon joined the Lions 12 seasons ago. More mountains to climb.

The receiver said he stopped measuring himself against others a long time ago, content that what he was doing would eventually rank him above them all. What remains a driving force in the life of a player who offers to the public both a boastful and shy side is that he is challenged to produce as much this season — when he will turn 37 years of age just after Labour Day — as he did at the start of his career.

The goal this year, aside from trying to lead the Lions to consecutive championship wins for the first time in franchise history, is to be the best 36-year-old receiver of all time. Simon was shown a list of the greats in the league in their 37th year (see below) and it didn’t take long for him to realize that half of the greats had gone on to other things at his age.

Being the best 36-year-old is just another challenge gladly accepted, Simon said, but it is the same kind of challenge he had already put in front of himself for years, whenever he sees a rookie defensive back at training camp.

“I set goals. When I reach a goal, I set another. I want to just keep dominating some of these young guys. I want to send some of these guys home,” he said.

“Some of these guys sign with the team and they see my age on the website and they say, ‘Man, he’s about done; he’s just hanging on.’ When they get here they see this guy can still bleeping play,” said Simon.

“Some guys, just because they came from a big college, think their ticket is written. You got to come in and, especially on this team, you got to be excellent. You can’t take a play off. We don’t have a spot as it is. Look on our offence and tell me where there’s a [roster] spot, even as a backup?”

Any receiving newcomer quickly will discover that Simon has a regal presence at camp even without talking, but more often than not will hear from him as well. Simon was constantly blasting new teammates again this year for not paying attention to detail on route assignments, one of the reasons why he is practically considered a coach on the field.

But beyond what Simon gives to the Lions verbally is the attention he pays to his physical conditioning, which would be an inspiration to anyone his age.

Rest assured, the man has his vices. “I like doughnuts and cakes,” he said. “I love food. I love to cook.”

However, snack indulgences are more than burned off by a workout regimen that clearly has set another standard with the Lions and become the source of admiration even of those who guide him to his goals.

It’s impossible to get a sense of Simon’s offseason work ethic by following him around for a day. A month or two would be better.

Simon says he differs from most colleagues when it comes to training because he continues to work out at the end of each year, then shuts down for nearly a month prior to training camp. He will visit the weight room, but remains more possessed about maintaining his speed, which is done with the help of track coaches Yves McDavid and David Moore.

Few know Simon better, however, than Chris Boyko, a personal trainer who began working with the receiver before being hired as the Lions’ strength and conditioning coach. There are no 36-year-olds that Boyko has seen who can match his star pupil, he said. But that, in part, is because Boyko is one of the few people who can push the right buttons with Simon.

“He amazes me sometimes. If he’s looking a bit sluggish, that’s maybe because I’ve pushed him to a point where fatigue should set in a little. If I know he hates to do 20 [repetitions] I’ll push him to 21. But push him a little past his comfort zone and he ends up being a little better every year. There’s really no limitation at his age,” Boyko said.

Retirement? Get the record and head off to a new life as an NCAA coach somewhere after the season? Simon gets plainly irked at the suggestion. He has three seasons left in him if the body agrees, he said. Retirement is for those who know their body is breaking down before it becomes evident to others.

“I stole my last two years,” said Lions receivers’ coach Travis Moore, who breaks out into a full laugh when reminded his 10-year CFL career ended as a 35-year-old.

“I keep telling him that as long as he keeps taking care of his body there’s no reason why he can’t keep playing. Once you lose a step, it’s time to go. But he’s still running, with the ball in his hands, past younger people.”

And as long as the league has younger defenders, Simon has plenty of motivation. Another Simon secret is simply knowing it’s OK for the odd doughnut, or for that matter, a round of golf, which the receiver does more than occasionally.

“That’s one thing young guys can learn from him. There’s something you can do all the time to get better even if it means strategically planning rest,” said Boyko. “Some of the younger guys are afraid to rest because they feel they’re going to miss getting better.”

Simon vacationed in Arizona and Mexico and made a trip home to Johnstown, Pa., last winter, but worked his holidays around his training. If his work ethic isn’t enough of a legacy, Simon said it will be just as valuable to eventually be known as a three-down superstar who doesn’t have a four-down attitude.

“I want to leave a legacy as one who worked hard, not only on the field, but having success,” he said. “Don’t take this the wrong way. I don’t care what people think about me. But people are going to know I’m a genuine person who has his good and bad days.

“But for the most part I have a kind heart.”

If there is anyone on the Lions who does enough at work already it’s the receiver who holds just about all of the team’s pass-catching records. But even during the few moments he and his teammates had free time in Kamloops, Simon did the meet-and-greet thing with grace, showing up one night unannounced to catch a UFC fight at a local bistro and impressing the customers with his charm.

“I don’t take myself that seriously that I think I’m some big star that can’t give someone two minutes,” said Simon. “What’s two minutes? Thirty seconds? If you say hi to someone for 30 seconds it makes them feel good.

“Travis Lulay and I were talking about this the other day: You get guys that are stars and they are [bleeps] to people just because they think they’re better people.

“My kids always ask me, ‘Dad, why do people like you?’ I said it’s because I’m nice to them and I catch a football. There’s days I don’t feel like it but if that happens I stay at home. If you’re a recognizable face you have to be recognized.”

That could likely happen Friday, regardless of whether or not Simon ends up in the end zone doing his trademark pose, which represents a complete contrast from a player who constantly has stated he feels he could be released at any time.

There have also been times, Simon said, when he took less money from the Lions to improve his chances of getting to the top of the receiving mountain.

“There might have been a couple of years where I could have made $50,000 more but that might have cut my career short. How many guys have been cut not because of them but because of their contracts? Look at Jarious [Jackson],” said Simon, reflecting on the Lions’ 35-year-old backup quarterback, who latched on with the Toronto Argonauts this year. “He’s gone because of his contract.”

But Simon is here because former general manager Adam Rita had no receivers midway through the 2001 season, when he joined the Lions, and Wally Buono gave him a chance to be the team’s top pass-catching option.

Simon lists his current boss as a career influence, but there have been others.

“People help me and they don’t even realize they help me,” he said. “I have a cousin, Chuckie Wyatt; he was the biggest thing in my hometown, and I thought, ‘If I can only be as good as him.’ He doesn’t even realize he helped me. People like my high school football coach, Tom Fleming. [Lions offensive line coach] Dan Dorazio. If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t have got into Maryland. I just want to keep saying thank you. Even [offensive co-ordinator] Jacques Chapdelaine. I want to say thank you by going out and being successful.”

Only Stegall has been more successful to this point, but even the flamboyant former Winnipeg receiver-turned-TSN analyst never left Simon in awe. Simon used to spice up his Twitter page by referring to himself as a Goat, as in Greatest Of All Time.

Soon it will be no idle boast.

“Milt has been a big inspiration. I used to say, ‘Man, this guy’s good, but I think I can probably be better.’ I never said that to anybody but that’s just the way I think,” Simon said.

“A lot of people measure themselves against other people. If I can be the best I can be, my best is better than anybody else’s best.”

And nobody has to name any mountains for him, either.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Let's see if there's going to be a ceremony once Simon breaks the record, and if Milt Stegall will be around to celebrate him - just like in the 1990 season when Dave Cutler was around to congratulate Lui Passaglia for breaking the CFL scoring record.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The goal is 67 yards, nothing less. Stegall played 14 seasons and finished with 15,153 yards. In slightly less time, Simon is on the verge of capturing a league record that has been hard to maintain. In the last 12 years, five different receivers have spent time at the top.
The goal this year, aside from trying to lead the Lions to consecutive championship wins for the first time in franchise history, is to be the best 36-year-old receiver of all time. Simon was shown a list of the greats in the league in their 37th year (see below) and it didn’t take long for him to realize that half of the greats had gone on to other things at his age.

Retirement? Get the record and head off to a new life as an NCAA coach somewhere after the season? Simon gets plainly irked at the suggestion. He has three seasons left in him if the body agrees, he said. Retirement is for those who know their body is breaking down before it becomes evident to others.

“I want to leave a legacy as one who worked hard, not only on the field, but having success,” he said. “Don’t take this the wrong way. I don’t care what people think about me. But people are going to know I’m a genuine person who has his good and bad days.

“But for the most part I have a kind heart.”

If there is anyone on the Lions who does enough at work already it’s the receiver who holds just about all of the team’s pass-catching records. But even during the few moments he and his teammates had free time in Kamloops, Simon did the meet-and-greet thing with grace, showing up one night unannounced to catch a UFC fight at a local bistro and impressing the customers with his charm.

“I don’t take myself that seriously that I think I’m some big star that can’t give someone two minutes,” said Simon. “What’s two minutes? Thirty seconds? If you say hi to someone for 30 seconds it makes them feel good.

“Travis Lulay and I were talking about this the other day: You get guys that are stars and they are [bleeps] to people just because they think they’re better people.

“My kids always ask me, ‘Dad, why do people like you?’ I said it’s because I’m nice to them and I catch a football. There’s days I don’t feel like it but if that happens I stay at home. If you’re a recognizable face you have to be recognized.”
Very gracious. :thup:
“People help me and they don’t even realize they help me,” he said. “I have a cousin, Chuckie Wyatt; he was the biggest thing in my hometown, and I thought, ‘If I can only be as good as him.’ He doesn’t even realize he helped me. People like my high school football coach, Tom Fleming. [Lions offensive line coach] Dan Dorazio. If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t have got into Maryland. I just want to keep saying thank you. Even [offensive co-ordinator] Jacques Chapdelaine. I want to say thank you by going out and being successful.”
Appreciative. One of the keys to his success.

Appreciate him while he's here. We may never see his like again. :thup:
dtrain
Starter

Let me be the first to suggest that when Geroy's career is over there should be a bronze statue of him outside BC Place.
He is worthy of such an honour.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Fath ... story.html

From Mike Beamish's article ...
While most of Geroy’s high school coaches are retired, they still talk of Simon, in athletic terms, as a comet, the type of celestial being who passed through the system once or twice in a coach’s lifetime.

“Geroy was probably the best athlete I coached in my 40 years,” said Ernie Williams, the retired track coach at Greater Johnstown. “He was an exceptional kid, really. He was just amazing in everything — basketball, football, track. One time, I remember, he was the anchor on the 400-metre relay team. We were fifth when he took the baton, and we ended up winning the race because Geroy willed it to happen. One hundred metres, 200, high jump, I think he could have gone to Maryland on a track scholarship. I think they were going to give him one, once they found out how fast he was.”

Williams said Simon was never a cocky kid, but extremely confident in his ability to perform, with an unadulterated desire to prove himself in the most critical situations.

“‘Give me the ball. Give me the baton,’ ” Williams said. “He knew he was the kind of kid who could make it happen. I was just lucky enough to coach him.”
“Johnstown is definitely the reason why I’m here. It definitely made me the way I am,” Simon said. “It’s a small city, and a rough place. There’s not a whole lot of money there. The crime rate is pretty high. I grew up across from the projects, and I hung out with some guys there. I might still be there if it wasn’t for sports. I played with the older kids, and I always had to prove myself with those guys. I still carry those thoughts with me today. I’m always trying to prove myself, even though I’ve had some success.”
“Johnstown is known for the flood [The Johnstown Flood Museum honours the 2,209 lives lost in the 1889 disaster] and getting through tough times,” Simon said. “Johnstown is a resilient city, and so are the people who come from there. When you get a professional athlete from western Pennsylvania, you know you’re getting a tough athlete who’s been through some stuff. For me, football was my way out. Being an athlete was the way I was going to eat. Some people play sports because it’s fun. Me, because that’s how I feed my family. A lot of people aren’t in survival mode. But I’ve been in survival mode all my life.”
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Bruce Springsteen has a reference to the Johnstown Flood in his song Highway Patrolman from the Nebraska album with the line:

"Takin' turns dancing with Maria, as the band plays 'Night of the Johnstown Flood'"
Robbie
Hall of Famer

dtrain wrote:Let me be the first to suggest that when Geroy's career is over there should be a bronze statue of him outside BC Place.
He is worthy of such an honour.
I think if there's a statue of a Lion, it should be of Lui Passaglia first holding the Grey Cup similar to the one of the Great One at Rexall Place.

Although when one thinks about the best Canucks coach, one is unlikely to think about Roger Neilson but there's a statue of him.

-----------

And when it comes to free agent winners and losers, it was definitely a loss for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers to not re-sign him and granted him free agency after the 2000 season, while it could very well be the best veteran signing in Lions history.
Last edited by Robbie on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Let's see if there's going to be a ceremony once Simon breaks the record, and if Milt Stegall will be around to celebrate him - just like in the 1990 season when Dave Cutler was around to congratulate Lui Passaglia for breaking the CFL scoring record.
Ceremonies in the middle of a game are often momentum killers. If the Lions are going to have one, do it at the half or better yet, at the next game before the kickoff
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Robbie wrote:Let's see if there's going to be a ceremony once Simon breaks the record, and if Milt Stegall will be around to celebrate him - just like in the 1990 season when Dave Cutler was around to congratulate Lui Passaglia for breaking the CFL scoring record.
Ceremonies in the middle of a game are often momentum killers. If the Lions are going to have one, do it at the half or better yet, at the next game before the kickoff
well then its gonna have to be a touchdown now! :) haha
2012 Season Ticket Holder
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:

I agree they are momentum killers but I think the powers that be will probably go with shutting things down to do a ceremony... Hope I'm wrong.

Decent Blitz (a ever-shrinking Province supplement that started out at 16 + pages and loses a little every year- Province publishes one before every home game) today, IMO. Simon article definately the jewel.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

“I set goals. When I reach a goal, I set another. I want to just keep dominating some of these young guys. I want to send some of these guys home,” he said.

“Some of these guys sign with the team and they see my age on the website and they say, ‘Man, he’s about done; he’s just hanging on.’ When they get here they see this guy can still bleeping play,” said Simon.

“Some guys, just because they came from a big college, think their ticket is written. You got to come in and, especially on this team, you got to be excellent. You can’t take a play off. We don’t have a spot as it is. Look on our offence and tell me where there’s a [roster] spot, even as a backup?”
There are some very good lessons in the story that people in all walks of life and pro sports should embrace.

Lui Passaglia another long term Lion had a similar view but expressed it in slightly different words.

These pros embody three things:
1. they are good at what they do.
2. They are good and work at getting better.
3. They are good and know why.

Geroy's and his "kind heart" and appreciation of people including fans is also the mark of these top pros and I think from what I read this all applies to Milt Stegall too.

Geroy and the money. He is right. If you get the biggest contract you can grind out of the team or even move as an FA for the higher money you bring greater risk to your longevity. Some in the CFL got away with it for sure but overall he is right.

I can't recall the ex-player's name in the NHL but he was being interviewed some years back on TSN about his long career with the Flyers and told the story of
Bobby Clarke invited him ( a rookie ) to work out with him in the gym at something like 6:30 am. He was in awe of Clarke and arrived every day. He thought that the absence of other Flyers was that they were all in gyms at other part of the city. When he got up the nerve to ask this star where the other team mates were working out the reply was along the lines of 'They aren't. It is just you and I.'
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:I can't recall the ex-player's name in the NHL but he was being interviewed some years back on TSN about his long career with the Flyers and told the story of
Bobby Clarke invited him ( a rookie ) to work out with him in the gym at something like 6:30 am. He was in awe of Clarke and arrived every day. He thought that the absence of other Flyers was that they were all in gyms at other part of the city. When he got up the nerve to ask this star where the other team mates were working out the reply was along the lines of 'They aren't. It is just you and I.'
Brian Propp would be my first guess based on this info. Anyway, I once read a quote somewhere from Clarke that back in the days of their Broad Street Bullies peak, about half the guys on the team were smokers. Unthinkable today!
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In the years to come, this will be the answer to a trivia question - who was the passer when Geroy Simon broke Milt Stegall's record to become CFL's leading receiver?

------------------------

Six years ago, there was a fan poll for the Greatest Quarterback/Receiver Connections in CFL History and the tandem nominations for each team were:

Doug Flutie and Allen Pitts (Calgary Stampeders)
Khari Jones and Milt Stegall (Winnipeg Blue Bombers) - winning duo
Ron Lancaster and Hugh Campbell (Saskatchewan Roughriders)
Warren Moon and Brian Kelly (Edmonton Eskimos)
Anthony Calvillo and Ben Cahoon (Montreal Alouettes)
Roy Dewalt and Mervyn Fernandez (BC Lions)
Russ Jackson and Whit Tucker (Ottawa Rough Riders )
Danny McManus and Darren Flutie (Hamilton Tiger-Cats)
Condredge Holloway and Terry Greer (Toronto Argonauts)

Ironically but understandably, the greatest passer Damon Allen was not nominated and the reason was because he changed teams so many times and didn't work with the same receiver for a long period of time to establish a very strong connection.

And I have a feeling that if there is such a contest again in the future, the soon-greatest receiver Geroy Simon will also be excluded which may be ironic but understandable as well. Unlike Damon Allen, Simon only played with two teams with the vast majority being the Lions. The problem with Simon is that his quarterbacks have all changed throughout his years so it's hard to pinpoint which of his QB's has established a strong tandem with.

That said, let's do an informal poll.

Which of Geroy Simon's quarterbacks has he built the greatest connection with?

Khari Jones
Damon Allen
Dave Dickenson
Casey Printers
Buck Pierce
Jarious Jackson
Travis Lulay
祝你龍年行大運。
almo89
Legend

Robbie wrote:Which of Geroy Simon's quarterbacks has he built the greatest connection with?

Khari Jones
Damon Allen
Dave Dickenson
Casey Printers
Buck Pierce
Jarious Jackson
Travis Lulay
I think it has to be Dave Dickenson
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:I can't recall the ex-player's name in the NHL but he was being interviewed some years back on TSN about his long career with the Flyers and told the story of
Brian Propp would be my first guess based on this info. Anyway, I once read a quote somewhere from Clarke that back in the days of their Broad Street Bullies peak, about half the guys on the team were smokers. Unthinkable today!
Yes, I think you are right IF he is the player I meant who credited longevity for that training regimen he started on with Bobby Clarke. Geroy Simon clearly has a work out approach that is similar to these guys who have long careers kept longer by fitness as well as good decisions on their contract offers.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy