Worst kept Secret.... Benevedes.....Coach

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

As per TSN: http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=382554

Say hello to the new HC of the Lions :beer:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Wow, looking like a busy week for the CFL before they shut her down for the holidays.... Ricky Ray traded, Burris probably being set free tomorrow and now we know what is the worst kept secret.... I'm glad we're getting another Defensive Coordinator transferring into the Head Coach position. I hope most of the staff stays around but I guess thats upto Mike....
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Again, I think the DC position is going to be key for Benevides...I would love to see him select Randy Melvin myself...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Rammer
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:Again, I think the DC position is going to be key for Benevides...I would love to see him select Randy Melvin myself...
team 1040 is reporting that he will remain as a DC, which suggests to me that Wally will still be involved to help out with the HC duties for Benevides.

It will be interesting to see who Benevides selects to help him achieve this seasons success.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

About the only thing left to guess now is whether Bene will wear a suit to the presser or his trademark oversized sweatshirt and hoodie!

As for the D-coordinator position, Farhan Lalji thinks he's hanging onto that title.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

I can see why Benevedes would want to hang onto the DC position. First of all, he will get to pay himself as the DC as the HC. He probably also wants to keep the defense at a very high level of effectiveness and believes that he is the best person to do that. I don't think its wise but it might be ok for a season of transition even though it will make Benevedes HC duties more challenging. Benevedes would at least be wise to mentor the next DC by giving one of his assistants the ability to run the defense at practices and beging the process of transtion from himself to another DC.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
joe kapp22
Legend

Welcome to the Corner Office Mike B!
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:About the only thing left to guess now is whether Bene will wear a suit to the presser or his trademark oversized sweatshirt and hoodie!
Mike Benevides ascribes to the Bill Belichick School of Football Fashion.
Blitz
Team Captain

Except Benevedes wears trendier sunglasses!! :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Luke
All Star

I'm excited!! I'm ready for the 2012 season to start right now. I don't think that fashion taste is the only similarity between Belichick and Benevides. :wink:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

So how long before we start calling our new HC Benechick?

Oops, I guess I already did lol.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:So how long before we start calling our new HC Benechick?

Oops, I guess I already did lol.
I like that nickname. If he has the same success on the field, I'll like it even more. Kudos to Bene for wearing a three-piece suit and orange tie to his news conference. That may be the last time we see him dressed that way.

Here's the team's official announcement:
BCLions.com Staff

BC Lions Football Club vice president, football operations and GM, Wally Buono announced this morning that Mike Benevides has been named the team’s new head coach. Benevides, formerly the club’s defensive coordinator and linebackers coach, becomes the 24th head coach in team history and takes over for Buono who recently stepped aside from the helm of the current Grey Cup champions.

“Mike has taken every opportunity that has been presented to him and succeeded. He possesses a unique combination of experience, passion and people skills that make him a purrfect fit to be the next coach of the BC Lions,” said Buono. “I look forward to working with Mike and bringing another championship home to BC in 2012.”

Coming off his fourth season as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach, Benevides has built a strong coaching background after originally coming to the Lions in 2003 as special teams coordinator following three seasons with the Calgary Stampeders under Buono.

“I am both humbled and thrilled to accept the position as head coach of the BC Lions,” said the newly appointed Benevides. “I can’t imagine a better situation than right here in BC to take on this new challenge and I am grateful for the support of Wally Buono, Dennis Skulsky and the entire organization.”

Since 2008 when Benevides was named defensive coordinator, no CFL team has recorded more quarterback sacks (211), or forced more turnovers (203) than the Lions. The 5,725 net yards allowed by Benevides’ squad in 2011 was second to only Winnipeg and was the club's best regular season defensive performance since 2006, as well as the second lowest total allowed by the Leos in the past 16 seasons.

Improving steadily from 2009 to the second overall defensive ranking in 2011, no team allowed fewer points than the Lions’ 362 this past season. Dominant and opportunistic over much of the year, the Lions enjoyed a stretch of 15 quarters and 61 possessions without allowing an opponent to score an offensive touchdown. Benevides also oversaw a defence that placed no fewer than six players on the 2011 West Division All-Star squad.

“It is my goal to build a team that is tough, physical and one that puts a premium on field position,” added Benevides. "Most importantly, we will continue to be a team that attacks opponents and is aggressive in all three phases of the game to manufacture explosive plays on both sides of the ball.”

Taking a lead role in the recruitment of new players, Benevides has been instrumental in the evaluation of Canadian talent for the club especially over the past six CFL Drafts where he identified several key players such as Shawn Gore, Akeem Foster, Jamall Lee, James Yurichuk, Dean Valli, Rolly Lumbala, Jon Hameister-Ries and Jason Arakgi. Other players who were selected by the Lions and have gone on to enjoy starting CFL roles include Toronto’s Ricky Foley and Jason Pottinger.
Link
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

“It is my goal to build a team that is tough, physical and one that puts a premium on field position,” added Benevides. "Most importantly, we will continue to be a team that attacks opponents and is aggressive in all three phases of the game to manufacture explosive plays on both sides of the ball.”

I like what I hear :thup:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:“It is my goal to build a team that is tough, physical and one that puts a premium on field position,” added Benevides. "Most importantly, we will continue to be a team that attacks opponents and is aggressive in all three phases of the game to manufacture explosive plays on both sides of the ball.”

"a team that attacks opponents" ... I like that too.

Playing it safe is a slow death.
Luke
All Star

TheLionKing wrote:“It is my goal to build a team that is tough, physical and one that puts a premium on field position,” added Benevides. "Most importantly, we will continue to be a team that attacks opponents and is aggressive in all three phases of the game to manufacture explosive plays on both sides of the ball.”

Me too!!! I wonder if Benevides will want a more consistent physical running game?