CFL Team Rankings after 18 Games

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

If you think WB got a rough ride (pun intentional) around here this season, check out what the "nation" is saying about Ken Miller on riderfans.com! Back to back Grey Cup appearances does not buy one a lot of love in Riderville.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:After 15 games, here is one fan's view of the teams ...

1 B.C. Keepin' on truckin' ... Best defence in the league. Near the top offence. Winning with defence. Winning with big plays. Finding ways to win.

2 Montreal ... Excellent offence. Pretty good defence. Anthony Calvillo. 'nuff said.

3 Edmonton ... A bit up and down. Definitely up now. Got Ricky Ray. Got Jerome Messam. 'nuff said.

4 Winnipeg ... Sliding a bit from a hot start to the year. Good D. So so O.

5 Calgary ... Hmmmm ... Strange ... As strange as the moods of Henry. Never filled personnel gaps from the off season.

6 Hamilton ... Up and down. Still dangerous. It looks like O'B's team has hit the wall in terms of growth.

7 Toronto ... Squeaked out a win. Enough to put them ahead of Miller's brats.

8 Saskatchewan ... Played tough vs the Lions. Racked up another loss though.
That looks good. Saskatchewan has definitely slid to No. 8, despite a better effort against B.C. They have the league's worst offence and worst defence, they're 0-8 against the division and have no touchdowns in four games. They can't get much worse than that, but I'd be happy if they find a way to turn it around next week against Calgary.
Not being able to score a TD in 4 games isn't going to suggest that the Riders deserve anything else but 8th on the PR. I will duplicate the happiness if they turned it around for next weeks game as well. :pray:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Wow, rooting for Riders?!? Will the weirdness ever end? We have gone from rags to riches, the Riders have gone from riches to rags. The horse appears to have broken its leg and in the far north, they seem to have found a new lead dog and are pulling the sled better than they have in ages.

Next thing that will happen, a team will be in Ottawa and hoisting the Grey Cup.....ok it is never going to get that weird.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

OK, here are some rankings after 16 games ...

Not much to choose from between 1 and 4. Even Calgary is close if Tate continues his good showing.

1 Montreal Best offence. Reigning champions.

2 Edmonton Very good offence. Ricky Ray. Defence very, very good. Best in the league. Won 3 in a row.

3 Winnipeg Offence not great. Defence can be great.

4 B.C. Offence missing in action this week. STs abysmal. Defence still weak at tackling. 42 - 10 loss a stinker.

5 Calgary Very good offence. Defence not so much.

6 Hamilton Jeckyll and Hyde. Great this week vs the Lions. At least on defence and STs.

7 Toronto Boring. Terrible. Awful to watch. Did I say boring?

8 Saskatchewan Hmmm Trouble at the top? Hopson? Miller? Taman? Anybody else?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

The rankings are really :dizzy: , IMO. ANY playoff team can probably get it done to make the final game. I know thats always the case in theory but most years there seems to be a favourite in one or both divisions.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

One loss in 9 games and u drop from 1 to 4? Sorry, those are some weak power rankings. Edm barely beats tor and they're 2? Montreal loses yet jumps from 3 to 1? Probably the worst pr I've ever seen lol
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:One loss in 9 games and u drop from 1 to 4? Sorry, those are some weak power rankings. Edm barely beats tor and they're 2? Montreal loses yet jumps from 3 to 1? Probably the worst pr I've ever seen lol
LOL Ahhhhh ...

Give us your rankings. Give other bloggers something to shoot at.

I guess you could say I subscribe to the notion of: "You are as good as your last game." We lost 42 - 10 to a team struggling to have a .500 record, a team that had a bit of a QB controversy, a bunch of injuries, and a very green defence.

No one looked great last week: Montreal, Edmonton, Winnipeg. Calgary might have looked the best, but against a lousy team.

We looked awful. No excuses.

You think we look better than Montreal? Or Edmonton? Or Winnipeg?

* We are back to having little or no running game.

* Harris is not that big a guy to be carrying the load he has been carrying. And banged up now.

* Lulay did poorly against pressure. He is banged up a bit now.

* Foster is injured.

* Solomon is recovering.

* Our STs are about the worst in the league, aside from McCallum.

* Our tackling went back to poor.

* The winning streak is a bit of an illusion. Teams were not geared up to play us.

* We faced a highly motivated team willing to pay the physical price and we folded.

* We had a chance to put a vice grip on first place, and we did not show up.

* Based on the last game, we might even be behind Calgary.

* Coaching for motivation is a dicey thing. Wally did not get the right buttons pushed for this game.

Not intending to offend any loyal fans.

I will stand by my rankings. (And as I indicated there is not much to separate 1 from 5. A person could justify putting almost any of the top 5 in first or any position from 1 to 5. Parity.)
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Are power rankings not a reflection of how each team is in a given week?

If so, I would submit that the Hamilton TigerCats are a better (power ranked) team than the BC Lions based upon beating the Lions twice..and destroying them the second time..which happened to be this week.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:Are power rankings not a reflection of how each team is in a given week?

If so, I would submit that the Hamilton TigerCats are a better (power ranked) team than the BC Lions based upon beating the Lions twice..and destroying them the second time..which happened to be this week.
Well they are pretty much whatever anyone thinks.

CFL uses a weird math formula that gives bizarre results.

For me, these represent recent results, the last game, and the overall record. Who is strongest right now.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wow, kinda tough to rank the top 5 teams when all of them have 10 and 7 records, but what the heck ...

1 BC ... Back on top. As good as your last game.

2 Montreal ... Always near the top.

3 Edmonton ... Better D than Calgary.

4 Calgary ... Better O than Edmonton, especially since Drew Tate took over QB.

5 Winnipeg ... Buck hurt? Hmmmm ... A familiar story. D very good. O Not so much.

6 Hamilton ... Up and down. Up and down. Lost to the lowly Riders. Beat the mighty Lions.

7 Toronto ... Barker fighting for his job. Might be too late.

8 Saskatchewan ... "Canada's Team" is eating humble pie. Miller is leaving at year end. Apres Miller, the deluge.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Should Edmonton really be 3rd? I mean, they have only won what.... 2 of the last 7. That isn't very good for the 3rd ranked team. Toronto has as many wins over that period as Edmonton.
Montreal is 2 by default I guess. They have issues with their secondary and discipline. Take a huge amount of penalties and although they have Calvillo, he has looked pretty ordinary at times this year and now Watkins is hurt. They couldn't beat a team with a QB in his second start their own backyard. That should say something other than 2nd.
Calgary looking better on O with Tate and D seems to have settled somewhat although they are still pretty bad on the Dline (lowest sacks in the league). Probably should be 3rd and maybe 2nd.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

As of this morning:

1) BC Lions Defense
2) BC Lions Offence
3) Edmonton Eskimos
4) Paul McCallum
5) Calgary Stampeders
6) Winnipeg Blue Bombers
7) Montreal Alouettes
8) Hamilton TigerCats
9) Toronto Argonauts

10) Saskatchewan Roughriders
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:As of this morning:

1) BC Lions Defense
2) BC Lions Offence
3) Edmonton Eskimos
4) Paul McCallum
5) Calgary Stampeders
6) Winnipeg Blue Bombers
7) Montreal Alouettes
8) Hamilton TigerCats
9) Toronto Argonauts

10) Saskatchewan Roughriders
:beauty:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From my iPad ... Will post a snapshot pic of standings later ...

Not much doubt in my mind.

1. BC ... Total domination of the reigning champs. Chap, Benny game planned the Als to death. Lulay for MOP.

2. Calgary ... I believe they are more dangerous than the Schmos.

3. Edmonton ... Ricky Ray. Messam. Ricky Ray. Ricky Ray.

4. Montreal ... Injuries. Bourque the biggest and most damaging. Plus the league has caught up to Trestman's previous advantage in scheming.

5. Winterpeg ... Good D. No O.

6. Hamilton ... Jekyll and Hyde. Go figure.

7. Toronto ... 'nuff said.

8. Regina ... Bye bye Miller Time. Hey, they still have Taman. Ha ha
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Belize City Lion wrote:If you think WB got a rough ride (pun intentional) around here this season, check out what the "nation" is saying about Ken Miller on riderfans.com! Back to back Grey Cup appearances does not buy one a lot of love in Riderville.
I've long ago come to conclusion Rider fans would eat their young.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.