Salary Cap quirks

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

I know, I know these are the rules.

Leagues and Player Associations go through these big labour disruptions costing themselves fans and they get settled via strange CBA's. There are NHL teams taking other teams signing mistakes so they can hit the salary cap floor. Its worth their while because a 7,000,000 cap hit maybe actually only mean paying a guy 4.5million. Also, the Kings wanted to get Gilbert Brule so they could buy him out. So a guy is an asset because you are going to pay him the balance of his contract and cut him loose? Yup, those are some of the quirks in the NHL salary cap. Of course, more than a few of us Lionbackers see absolutely no flaws whatsoever with the CFL CBA/salary cap :wink:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

:shock: I agree with Brian Burke!!! I really liked him when he was our GM but since then I've grown to dislike him. Probably in part because he now runs the Leafs.

But I agree with him on his complaint about these long term deals (8-10+) years where the last few years are pretty much a sham. Other posters here previously have stated similiar complaints. Prosports leagues have these labour disputes where some teams (have-nots) need things like salary caps in order to stay in business and then other teams (haves) find ways to circumvent the rules put in place to help bring about parity. I'm no apologist for player salaries but it seems many lockouts are really about owners needing rules to protect themselves from other owners and/or themselves. There were some big money contracts signed today and I'm happy for the players getting what the market would offer. Probably why a good Canucks ticket for one regular season game will price-wise soon equal a great ticket for a Grey Cup game.