Rioting punk idiots.

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

I have a suggestion for those of you that feel like doing something to hit back at the rioters. If you're a graduate of SFU, UBC, Vancouver Film school, Douglas, Kwatlen, etc, write a letter to their alumni association and tell them that you will not donate any money to their institution if they do not permanently suspend those students that were rioting.

Several websites are outing rioters & looters, and it turns out that many are, or are about to be, university students. As far as I'm concerned, their actions have forfeited their right to attend publicly funded & subsidized places of higher education.

Every school has a student code of conduct where failure to adhere to its conditions is grounds for permanent expulsion. I believe rioting and looting more than fit the bill.

http://publicshamingeternus.wordpress.com/

Cheers,

James
Two problems here:

1. As a former 4 time President of the SFU Alumni Association there is no way that an alumni association can dictate to a university what it should do here.

2. Stopping donations hurts innocent students, not these morons.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:KIA, I have to disagree with your assessment of the police. They handled this issue much better than last time IMO. If they had gone in with guns blazing, then that would have escalated the situation. Again and again, we saw a systematic approach that over time made it less and less likely that there was going to be an all out confrontation. The morons lost steam pretty quickly. 3 hours to quell a riot seems pretty well handled to me. Especially when there were no deaths and little in the way of heavy handed allegations that are often hurled at the police when they do decide to play hardball. For the most part, it was all property damage (not counting the damage to our psyche). In the end, they didn't really care about that, all they wanted was to wear down the crowds, keep from being a focus for escalation and that is exactly what they did. There were more people at this event than in 94 and yet it took far less time for it to disperse. We are going to have some fun over the next few weeks as rioters are outed. We saw one of the first tonight. A Maple Ridge youth, athlete and "Olympic" hopeful. They got him torching one the police cars. His parents say "he didn't do it" but the CBC footage clearly shows him in the thick of it. He is going to pay big time for his stupidity and he is but one of the first. Some have already been fingered trying to sell ill gotten gains on CraigsList too. Should be some interesting stories coming.
Yes, the police were greatly outnumbered and probably would have been ineffective in actively attempting to intervene.

However, there should have been a lot more of them.

Also, some radical thinking here but, if they had not been so stupid as to not expect things to go as they did, they could have been prepared with creative crowd control methods. Such a blocking certain streets with firetrucks and with police protecting the firemen, using the hoses on the crowd. Or even more radical, but possibly more effective, how quickly could firefighting planes dropping water disperse the crowd, not to mention putting out fires. At least it might have influence most of the "watchers" to hurry up and get out of there.

I just feel they should have done something other than what they did. Vancouver is my home town. I grew up there. I lived in the west end for a few yrs. I was often downtown. I hung out there during my late teens and early 20's. I was really emotional watching it unfold with the police appearing to do nothing. Specially when it came to the bay building. 50 years ago, my great aunt used to take me downtown for various reasons and we would always stop at the bay in the basement to have a malt. That bay building is special to me, stupid as that may sound. That it seemed like it was under threat of fire, serious fire was heartbreaking and frustrating. And the police just let it happen. or almost happen. It moved me to tears out of saddness, frustration and anger.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

One rioter has lost a scholarship to the University of Calgary and punted off Canada's polo team. What a dumb ass ! All this for his 15 minutes of fame.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

To KIA:

I would agree that they could have done some things from the onset to make the job easier. For example, how about having objects like newspaper boxes and such removed from the streets; things that could be used as projectiles. Having all the police on the ground right from the beginning probably would have helped to but in truth how many police officers do we have in the lower mainland in total? A few hundred, maybe a thousand. I don't really know, maybe someone can enlighten me as to this. Maybe cordoning off parking close to large crowd events so that cars aren't within easy reach for vandalism. There are lots of things that can be done better but this time seemed better than last time, maybe next time it will be even better handled, who knows. There are lots of positives to look at from this. The way people have come out about how they feel about this city gives me cause for hope. I think there will be a lot of parents who are going to have some awkward times when confronted with the behaviour of their children. And a lot of those who were involved are going to find themselves on the uncomfortable side of the spotlight. Already, we are beginning to hear about friends and families turning in some of the culprits. Sometimes you have to go through hell to recognize when you have things good. A lot of people right now are thinking about how fragile our peace really is and how important it is to work to maintain it. That kind of object lesson for a generation may be worth 3 hours of mayhem.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:To KIA:

I would agree that they could have done some things from the onset to make the job easier. For example, how about having objects like newspaper boxes and such removed from the streets; things that could be used as projectiles. Having all the police on the ground right from the beginning probably would have helped to but in truth how many police officers do we have in the lower mainland in total? A few hundred, maybe a thousand. I don't really know, maybe someone can enlighten me as to this. Maybe cordoning off parking close to large crowd events so that cars aren't within easy reach for vandalism. There are lots of things that can be done better but this time seemed better than last time, maybe next time it will be even better handled, who knows. There are lots of positives to look at from this. The way people have come out about how they feel about this city gives me cause for hope. I think there will be a lot of parents who are going to have some awkward times when confronted with the behaviour of their children. And a lot of those who were involved are going to find themselves on the uncomfortable side of the spotlight. Already, we are beginning to hear about friends and families turning in some of the culprits. Sometimes you have to go through hell to recognize when you have things good. A lot of people right now are thinking about how fragile our peace really is and how important it is to work to maintain it. That kind of object lesson for a generation may be worth 3 hours of mayhem.
you make some good points
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

IMO it would have required a contingent of police such as we had for the Olympics. And next time the Stanley Cup Finals includes a Canadian city, I expect consideration will be given to that. Lots of expense involved.

I also think some determined agitators set the tone.

Overall, in view of the volunteer effort to clean things up the next day, I personally do not feel it is such a black eye for our city.

And I expect the riot would have happened whether the Canucks won or lost the last game.

I think our police did the best they could do under the circumstances, undermanned it turned out.

Better prevention efforts would help. I actually wonder if any of the European soccer hooligan crowd made it over for the game. They are determined on mayhem.

Better prevention measures. Warnings. Publicity.

Larger contingent of police.

Hopefully the fools who had their pictures taken will be caught and punished.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

There is no doubt whatso ever this was started by a few, and those few had it planned win or lose. Actually, the game had nothing what so ever to do with it. Zero. There was an opportunity with a very large crowd (and knowingly the largest and last) so they decided to go for it. I've been told skytrain was loaded with hangers on heading downtown in the third.

Now I've been thinking. I'm wondering if this may not be the last time. I'm pretty sure that the amount of video and stills taken and posted has completely caught them/people off guard. The almost immediate recognition and public humiliation is/was stunning. Happy facebook sure turned an ugly eye towards them in a hurry. What casual nutbar is ever going to pull that in public again?

A lot of these punks who came down there to pull off this *poop* knowing they'd have a good audience to look cool, well that sure backfired with the opposite effect right quick. I'm sure that thought will stick for some time.
MacNews
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:There is no doubt whatso ever this was started by a few, and those few had it planned win or lose. Actually, the game had nothing what so ever to do with it. Zero. There was an opportunity with a very large crowd (and knowingly the largest and last) so they decided to go for it. I've been told skytrain was loaded with hangers on heading downtown in the third.

Now I've been thinking. I'm wondering if this may not be the last time. I'm pretty sure that the amount of video and stills taken and posted has completely caught them/people off guard. The almost immediate recognition and public humiliation is/was stunning. Happy facebook sure turned an ugly eye towards them in a hurry. What casual nutbar is ever going to pull that in public again?

A lot of these punks who came down there to pull off this *poop* knowing they'd have a good audience to look cool, well that sure backfired with the opposite effect right quick. I'm sure that thought will stick for some time.
While true, alcohol can remove many an inhibition.

You see many of these people jumping on a cop car, even though dozens of people have their camera phones out.
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:There is no doubt whatso ever this was started by a few, and those few had it planned win or lose. Actually, the game had nothing what so ever to do with it. Zero. There was an opportunity with a very large crowd (and knowingly the largest and last) so they decided to go for it. I've been told skytrain was loaded with hangers on heading downtown in the third.

Recent media reports are suggesting that some of those nutbar's have been turning themselves in, which seems rather odd to me. I am sure that this is being used as a way to get some nutbar's with some regrets for jumping in to turn themselves in, but the hardcore group that was looking for this as an opportunity, won't be doing that any time soon.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I'll agree with that. The original group no way... but, if you have your face on the net and there's 100 comments below with your name... well ya might as well get it over with I"m sure is what's happening.

Here's another interesting point to throw into the whole mix. A friend of mine mentioned this yesterday; and I've not heard or read this from anyone to date. Which previous event which only became legal in Van recently due to the fear of it's elements was hosted downtown just before game 7? Makes ya go hmm eh?
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

UFC