OK, I admit it

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I am at a loss as far as understanding how the canucks did so well so far this yr.

Now, I admit, when it comes to hockey, I don't know so much as far as technique, judging a players skills, and how player match up on lines, and against opponants.

However, when I look at this team, after Sedins, Luongo, Kessler and Burrows, I don't see much compared to the rosters of other teams.

I am figuring that if some of those great Detroit teams of the past died in the first two rounds of the playoffs, how likely it is that the Canucks will do the same.

Without Cory doing so well along with Luongo, would the goals against be as low?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

My opinion ...

Gillis has done an excellent job acquiring players that can play in Vigneault's system. It must have helped Gillis that Vancouver is a desired city for players. Hamhuis. Malhotra. Torres. Tambellini. All talented players. Some with some baggage.

Excellent salary cap management. Excellent contract negotiations.

Credit Vigneault for getting so much performance from the players. Another excellent decision by Gillis, keeping and the extending his contract.

Credit the Sedins for setting an amazing standard of attitude and play. No nonsense. Hard work. Support. Look at how Kesler, Burroughs and Bieksa have shut their mouths, and just play.

Mobile defense. Very good passing defense. Fast break, so to speak. IMO we are loaded with top quality defencemen. Edler probably our best. Erhoff outstanding on offence, OK on D. Hamhuis very skilled, quiet player. Bieksa playing better than ever, and that is a high standard. Salo in some minds our best defender. Ballard not yet showing top quality. Tanev is the sleeper, and not all that un-noticed around the league. Rome solid D guy. That is a terrific defence.

Forechecking with speed. A fast team.

Cycling the puck. None better, or as good as the Sedins.

To sum up ... Talent. System. Attitude.

Organization dedicated to winning. Credit to to Aquilini, willing to spend the bucks on anything Gillis thinks helps.

Enjoy the ride, however far it goes. This team is a pleasure to watch.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It's going to be terribly disappointing if the Canucks don't win it all this year after the season they've had.
zark
Champion

What's with the negative waves The Canucks are first, so lets dump on them? Yea right.
I want you guys on my team.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Rammer
Team Captain

I look at this team and think that if you look on paper there are perhaps better teams on paper, but this team has one factor that has allowed it to do well in the regular season, depth on D. When the season started, they didn't know if there was going to be salary room for Salo when he came back, and they were doing very well up until then. Then 4 starting defencemen went down and the Canucks were able to fill those holes with the depth and draw from the farm system and not miss a beat. Just look how Schneider was able to play with similar stats to Luongo who has had his best season as a Canuck. That wasn't a reflection of Luongo all of a sudden getting better (perhaps more consistent), but IMO having a D that limited chances and was able to clear the front of the net.

Canucks need to get by the first round, and then that depth will take them far in the playoffs. But don't count out the ST play, as sitting on top of both categories has helped generate more wins out of games that they didn't deserve to win with their 5 on 5 play. They need to keep that running in the playoffs as well.
Entertainment value = an all time low
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

its in the bag ! we're going to romp. lets start with Cheekago.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It is great to see the Canucks do so well this year. Great to see that the faith other managers and coaches had in the Sedins has paid off so well. Gillis is not my idea of a fan friendly GM and while I thought Nonis did not deserve firing I think Gillis has done a good job overall with this team.

There seems less now riding on Luongo which to me was not quite right with the Canucks before. It seemed Luongo had more power to dictate to the coach before than now and while he has done a great job in the nets looks less likely to burn out and fold in the playoffs. If they were to lose first round it would be that their team overall were outplayed. Before every fan knew Luongo was burned out but the coach seemed powerless. Now AV is in firm in his job it is all good now.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:It is great to see the Canucks do so well this year. Great to see that the faith other managers and coaches had in the Sedins has paid off so well. Gillis is not my idea of a fan friendly GM and while I thought Nonis did not deserve firing I think Gillis has done a good job overall with this team.

There seems less now riding on Luongo which to me was not quite right with the Canucks before. It seemed Luongo had more power to dictate to the coach before than now and while he has done a great job in the nets looks less likely to burn out and fold in the playoffs. If they were to lose first round it would be that their team overall were outplayed. Before every fan knew Luongo was burned out but the coach seemed powerless. Now AV is in firm in his job it is all good now.
too bad there is so much talk of Cory being gone next yr.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Cory is still under contract next season so if we do have to move him, he'll bring major talent in return.

I love how he plays and his attitude. He's a great asset. Gillis deserves full marks for bringing him up slowly. I'd rather be in this situation than say what we have seen on other teams.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Rammer
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Cory is still under contract next season so if we do have to move him, he'll bring major talent in return.

I love how he plays and his attitude. He's a great asset. Gillis deserves full marks for bringing him up slowly. I'd rather be in this situation than say what we have seen on other teams.
I still am amazed at how much he has improved over last seasons NHL debut. I would say that was a quick turnaround and with Luongo's play this season, have to wonder if the Canucks goalie coach isn't deserving a raise. :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low
MacNews
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:I still am amazed at how much he has improved over last seasons NHL debut. I would say that was a quick turnaround and with Luongo's play this season, have to wonder if the Canucks goalie coach isn't deserving a raise. :beer:
So maybe it is not a bad thing that the Canucks fired Luongo's buddy and hired a new goaltending coach last season?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I still dont get how the Canucks did so well but these games against Boston are telling me that they did indeed overacheive to get this far and will not acheive anything close to the same next yr, even without losing anyone.

Time to permanently switch to the football game