CFL Playbooks

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

btemp
prospect

I've been looking for cfl playbooks for a bit, and have had no luck finding any online. There are a plethora of NFL/NCAA playbooks available, but it doesn't seem any CFL ones have made it online. I'm looking primarily for defensive playbooks (and positions groupings). Does anyone have any, or could point me to some one/webpage that does? Thanks!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

btemp wrote:I've been looking for cfl playbooks for a bit, and have had no luck finding any online. There are a plethora of NFL/NCAA playbooks available, but it doesn't seem any CFL ones have made it online. I'm looking primarily for defensive playbooks (and positions groupings). Does anyone have any, or could point me to some one/webpage that does? Thanks!
Usually playbooks are guarded more closely than the secret of how they put the caramel in Caramilk bar.........well except when Chap's laptop is involved.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
btemp wrote:I've been looking for cfl playbooks for a bit, and have had no luck finding any online. There are a plethora of NFL/NCAA playbooks available, but it doesn't seem any CFL ones have made it online. I'm looking primarily for defensive playbooks (and positions groupings). Does anyone have any, or could point me to some one/webpage that does? Thanks!
Usually playbooks are guarded more closely than the secret of how they put the caramel in Caramilk bar.........well except when Chap's laptop is involved.
:wink: Well that doesn't include the defensive playbook I hope.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

I own a 1968 playbook binder from my collection that Coach Jim Champion issued to all the players at training camp, but I am not parting with it! :yes:

Fine for loss was $200 - big money in those days! Every play and formation was diagrammed in there.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote: :wink: Well that doesn't include the defensive playbook I hope.
The way the BC run defence has performed the past few years maybe the defensive playbook should be stolen. :shock:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If you're interested in the Lions offensive playbook contact one of the other 8 CFL teams. I'm sure they'll be happy to fax you a copy of Chapelaine's playbook. It's only 1 page. :wink:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

chap doesnt have an offensive playbook. He uses a defensive playbook upside down
Last edited by KnowItAll on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
btemp
prospect

I just think having access to old CFL playbooks is great for high school and community coaches. One of the most difficult things about coaching football in BC (and Canada) is the lack of support resources. Because the fundamentals are the same between leagues finding resources there is not difficult. But when it comes to scheming and general concepts its impossible. A coach can find any NFL playbook from the 1980-2000 with little difficulty, but it just doesn't translate to canadian rules.
Rammer
Team Captain

btemp wrote:I just think having access to old CFL playbooks is great for high school and community coaches. One of the most difficult things about coaching football in BC (and Canada) is the lack of support resources. Because the fundamentals are the same between leagues finding resources there is not difficult. But when it comes to scheming and general concepts its impossible. A coach can find any NFL playbook from the 1980-2000 with little difficulty, but it just doesn't translate to canadian rules.
So what do you do with the Canadian QB? There isn't a playbook around with one of those. :wink:
Entertainment value = an all time low
kacbru
prospect

KnowItAll wrote:chap doenst have an offensive playbook. He uses a defensive playbook upside down
Thanks. Now I have to clean the coffee up that I spit on my keyboard from laughing.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

kacbru wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:chap DOESN'T have an offensive playbook. He uses a defensive playbook upside down
Thanks. Now I have to clean the coffee up that I spit on my keyboard from laughing.
sorry about that. I have now corrected the typo :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TAS
prospect

I have a couple, an Eskimo defensive playbook from '94 and a Saskatchewan book from late '80's early 90's. And, from the Lions a defensive playbook they used for the Senior Bowl in 2001, I think, also Team Canada's defensive book from 2006(?). Check out http://www.coachteed.com that's where I got the Saskatchewan playbook for one dollar. Forgot to mention a Manitoba Bisons Offensive playbook.
BCLions4Ever
Rookie

There was someone trying to sell a Lions playbook, allegedly from this past season's west Semi-final, on Craigslist a few months ago. It's not on there now, and I have no idea if it sold or not, but you may want to check there from time to time in case it didn't sell and the guy tries relisting it.