Official NFL Thread - 2012-2013 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Way to go Hawks, you have to root for the underdog and the Hawks just knocked off the defending "world champions".
Haha, you guys are going to be listening out for that now. I heard it a couple of times on the broadcast today.
Rammer wrote:Best play of determination though was the Lynch run for a TD putting the Seahawks up by 11 late in the game. That entire game gave me reminders of the CFL game, last man standing on O was going to win it.

Sea Dat! We Dat! was a pretty good sign.
The NBC colour man painted that as this sublimely amazing run. Well, it was a great effort by Lynch, no question. But that was just pathetic tackling by New Orleans. I think about 7 defenders got a hand on him.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

For sure David .... how he emerged from the Saints front 7 was just brutal on their part. Once he hit the open field though it was a thing of beauty. Having watched the run several times, it was clinical — the ball is first in his left hand then he covers it with both to avoid being stripped before switching to his right to deliver an epic stiff arm on Porter.

Have to feel good for Seattle sports fans as there has been little to cheer about since the Hawks run to the Super Bowl a few years back. The Sonics leave town with one of the NBA's brightest young stars (Kevin Durant) in tow, the Mariners just stink and its been a struggle for the Hawks and UW.

First the Huskies big win over Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl and now the Hawks.
MacNews
Team Captain

I like how people criticize the CFL because sub-.500 teams can make the playoffs, when Seattle not only made the playoffs but won their division too.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I got my picks wrong (Colts/Saints) yesterday. I enjoyed both the games. I think the Seahawks win was the bigger surprise to me. I thought the Jets had a chance going in but that was a big win, IMO, too. IIRC, there are more 'upsets' during Wildcard Weekend games. Many times the road team actually has a better record. We'll see.
Spud387
Champion

And after week 1 of the playoffs... the 7-9 Seahawks are the only division winner to win haha
notahomer
Hall of Famer

A lot of the announcers on all the networks (NBC, CBS, FOX and NFL) really seem to feel Rodgers is going to lead the Packers a long way in the playoffs. I'm not so sure (I went 1 for 4 on my picks this week :dizzy:, so whaddya I know...). Certainly Rodgers did enough to win over the Eagles. Of the teams left to pull an upset...I guess the Packers would be the choice. I want to say Ravens but BigBen'sBoys seem to have a knack for doing enough to win.

Next weeks picks: Chicago over Seahawks, Falcons over Packers, Steelers beat Ravens and Pats beat Jets.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well I guess I know why they call it Wildcard Weekend. This weeks games are just not there, IMO. I thought (mistakenly) the Falcons would give a better game versus the #6 seed Packers. UGGH, I turned it off in the third quarter. The Steelers/Ravens games was the best game so far but it was another head scratcher. I knew the Bears/Seahawks would probably not be a classic but the Hawks look especially lost. Oh well, lets hope the Patriots/Jets game is a better game than the last last two.
smphantom
Legend

Sorry, just couldn't resist! :wink:

[youtube][/youtube]
Stay thirsty my friends.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well, the Patriots stumbled their way out of the race again. There was a late penalty and I wondered at the moment (it wasn't) if it was because Rex Ryan joined in the endzone celebration? My pick of the four games in terms of entertainment. The AFC games were definately better to watch (and closer) and thats probably due to them being division teams butting heads.

My picks are the Steelers and Packers.

I just don't see Cutler stringing together two decent games and same goes for Sanchez.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rex Ryan is a loud mouth. He puts his foot in his mouth, and probably his wife's foot too. But he can motivate a team. And he plays the same kind of pressure D that his Dad, Buddy, loved.

Brady is the Patriots' engine. The Jets got him off rhythm. Also I think Ryan relaxed his players by putting himself in the limelight. Welker got benched because he reacted to Ryan. That all worked in the Jets' favour.

I would have to say Ryan did outcoach Belichick for this one game.

The Packers GM, Ted Thompson, allowed Favre to walk. He now has Aaron Rodgers. Thompson looks dayum good on this move.

The Steelers change coaches about once every 10,12,15 years, etc. And they always find a new good one. Tomlin fits the bill. The players change, but the culture stays the same. They are tough. Roethlisberger is a helluva QB.

Packers and Steelers would have to be favoured at this point. But the Bears and Jets could surprise.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

The Superbowl is looking like a defensive battle, IMO. Steelers versus Packers in Jerry Jone's relatively new Arlington Sandbox.

I didn't enjoy either conference championship game. IIRC, these games are usually quite good perhaps even overshadowing the Superbowl. Well that will be hard to do, I think. In both games (Packers in the NFC, Steelers in the AFC) one team got out to a big lead and then were able to hang on for the win. I'm not so sure on who I'd pick in the Superbowl. Based on their recent play I'd say Packers but the Steelers just seem to find a way to win. So, I guess my votes the Steelers but I won't be at all surprised if the Packers win.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

IMO the right teams have made it to the Super Bowl.

The Packers and the Steelers both have great QBs. Rodgers and Roethlisberger. Both very good at moving around enough to keep the D Line out of breath. Big Ben is surprisingly agile, and he senses pressure and reacts away from it so well. Rodgers, of course, is extremely mobile and elusive.

Great history with both franchises.

Ted Thompson of the Packers (GM) deserves humongous credit IMO for building that team.

Tough defences too. Especially Pittsburgh.

Could be a good game.

Saw bits of both games today. OK but not CFL calibre IMO for football satisfaction.

Small fields. Big athletes. Stifles offence IMO. Yawnnn ....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Peter King of CNN makes the following picks ...

East and North AFC and NFC
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

South and West AFC and NFC ...
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Playoffs ...

Some weird picks

Ravens over Patriots

Chargers over Ravens

Falcons over anybody

Lions to make the playoffs :wink: