Rookie of the Year Award

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

strait8
Starter

Well it is award time and another BC Lion Solomon Elimimian is a finalist for the rookie of the year award. personally i think he will win it. BC has owned this award since 1998. BC lions rookies have won this award 8 times and all other teams have won 4 times. Here is a list of all winners since 1998.

CFL's Most Outstanding Rookie Award winners

* 2009 - Martell Mallett (RB), BC Lions
* 2008 - Weston Dressler (SB), Saskatchewan Roughriders
* 2007 - Cameron Wake (DE), BC Lions
* 2006 - Aaron Hunt (DT), BC Lions
* 2005 - Gavin Walls (DE), Winnipeg Blue Bombers
* 2004 - Nikolas Lewis (WR), Calgary Stampeders
* 2003 - Frank Cutolo (WR), BC Lions
* 2002 - Jason Clermont (SB), BC Lions
* 2001 - Barrin Simpson (LB), BC Lions
* 2000 - Albert Johnson III (WR), Winnipeg Blue Bombers
* 1999 - Paul Lacoste (LB), BC Lions
* 1998 - Steve Muhammad (DB), BC Lions

While this is a tribute to the great scouting staff of the Lions from Greg Mohns to Obie, to Shivers,- It is interesting to note that only Aaron Hunt is still with the team.

Muhammad, Wake and Mallett went to the NFL. Lacoste retired- his career could be summed up as solid but unspectacular. Cutolo was a one year wonder. Simpson and Clermont turned in all star careers before being moved out.

Am I wrong or did Muhammad come back after a couple of years in the NFL and not stick on his second try? I think there were personal issues there.

Wake is a superstar in the making in the NFL and Hunt is as good as he wants to be on any given day, sometimes the best in the CFL and other days no where to be seen. Mallett was solid and dependable for BC in his single season.

I was also trying to find out who were the Western confrence finalists for this award in 2000 and 2005 when Eastern players won it. Was the western finalist a Lion?

Your Comments?
Willie Fleming is the Best Lion ever!!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

strait8 wrote:Well it is award time and another BC Lion Solomon Elimimian is a finalist for the rookie of the year award. personally i think he will win it. BC has owned this award since 1998. BC lions rookies have won this award 8 times and all other teams have won 4 times. Here is a list of all winners since 1998.

CFL's Most Outstanding Rookie Award winners

* 2009 - Martell Mallett (RB), BC Lions
* 2008 - Weston Dressler (SB), Saskatchewan Roughriders
* 2007 - Cameron Wake (DE), BC Lions
* 2006 - Aaron Hunt (DT), BC Lions
* 2005 - Gavin Walls (DE), Winnipeg Blue Bombers
* 2004 - Nikolas Lewis (WR), Calgary Stampeders
* 2003 - Frank Cutolo (WR), BC Lions
* 2002 - Jason Clermont (SB), BC Lions
* 2001 - Barrin Simpson (LB), BC Lions
* 2000 - Albert Johnson III (WR), Winnipeg Blue Bombers
* 1999 - Paul Lacoste (LB), BC Lions
* 1998 - Steve Muhammad (DB), BC Lions

While this is a tribute to the great scouting staff of the Lions from Greg Mohns to Obie, to Shivers,- It is interesting to note that only Aaron Hunt is still with the team.

Muhammad, Wake and Mallett went to the NFL. Lacoste retired- his career could be summed up as solid but unspectacular. Cutolo was a one year wonder. Simpson and Clermont turned in all star careers before being moved out.

Am I wrong or did Muhammad come back after a couple of years in the NFL and not stick on his second try? I think there were personal issues there.

Wake is a superstar in the making in the NFL and Hunt is as good as he wants to be on any given day, sometimes the best in the CFL and other days no where to be seen. Mallett was solid and dependable for BC in his single season.

I was also trying to find out who were the Western confrence finalists for this award in 2000 and 2005 when Eastern players won it. Was the western finalist a Lion?
Your Comments?
In 2000, Saskatchewan linebacker George White was the winner of the Jackie Parker Trophy as Most Outstanding Rookie in the West. In 2005, Winnipeg was in the West (Ottawa Renegades were in the East) so CFL rookie of the year Gavin Walls was the West nominee.

Link
strait8
Starter

I stand corrected Thanks for the clarification on White and Walls
Willie Fleming is the Best Lion ever!!