Lions part ways with Casey Printers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Despite vehement denials by Geroy Simon and other vets at the time, there may be some truth to the rumours that Printers was a cancer in the dressing room in his earlier stint with the Lions.
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Despite vehement denials by Geroy Simon and other vets at the time, there may be some truth to the rumours that Printers was a cancer in the dressing room in his earlier stint with the Lions.

Nope, most liked him. However, the Dickenson 'contigent' as they were referred to, which was a small group ...Reid, Clermont, Dickenson, Brent Johnson, and coach Chapdelaine, had strong negative feelings toward Printers. Buck hung around but was not a part of it. Murphy joined the group in 2006 but Printers was gone by then. The rest of the Leo players either supported Printers during his first stint here or were neutral. Guys like Geroy Simon, Jarious Jackson,Ryan Thelwell, Barrin Simpson were strong advocates of Printers.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
bclions16
Champion

Blitz wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Despite vehement denials by Geroy Simon and other vets at the time, there may be some truth to the rumours that Printers was a cancer in the dressing room in his earlier stint with the Lions.

Nope, most liked him. However, the Dickenson 'contigent' as they were referred to, which was a small group ...Reid, Clermont, Dickenson, Brent Johnson, and coach Chapdelaine, had strong negative feelings toward Printers. Buck hung around but was not a part of it. Murphy joined the group in 2006 but Printers was gone by then. The rest of the Leo players either supported Printers during his first stint here or were neutral. Guys like Geroy Simon, Jarious Jackson,Ryan Thelwell, Barrin Simpson were strong advocates of Printers.
Nope, just your opinion.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:

Really. And you know this how exactly? You can't just throw that on here as gospel without some solid evidence to prove your point. C'mon.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Angus Reid is refreshing. When he says something at least it is not hearsay thrown up on a message board by some poster claiming to have intimate knowledge of the goings on behind the scenes of a football team. Its real and you can bet your life he wouldn't be saying the things he is if he thought there was going to be repercussions for him in the dressing room. No. He is speaking for the masses on this one because he knows what the feelings are in that room.

We don't know what goes on in there despite what some posters would have you believe.
truth-hurts
Rookie

swervynmerv wrote:Thank u Wally! Who says yelling at your TV doesn't work. :yahoo: :yahoo:

This is all about the incident at the end of the game with Wilson. Embarassing a teammate on national tv should never be tolerated. Can you imagine Anthony Calvillo doing that? I am sure things erupted between players in the locker room with players taking sides and Printers is the odd man out.

I have it on reliable info from a BC Lion player that Printers was not popular in the room. This is not hearsay, this was told to me directly.

Also look back at a recent game if you have it PVR'd. Notice how Lulay and Printers seldom spoke to each other. JJ was the guy giving guidance to either one of those guys.

Great move for now and the future.

NEXT MOVE : Hire Dave Dickenson in 2011 to be at least the OC or maybe Head Coach. Who better to improve our offence and tutor Lulay? How about DD for Head Coach and Damon Allen or Jeff Garcia for OC? That I would like to see!! :cheer: :cheer: :good: :good:

Was told the same thing. It is true what you say about Casey not being very popular with the guys. Apparently they found it difficult to respect a man with such a huge ego, lack of leadership, and lazy work ethic. In the huddles he would be calling the wrong plays and a number of times he would miss his first read for gawd sakes! It just confirms that Casey brought a negative energy to the locker room and on the field. AND instead of bringing the team together his presence just divided them.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
Blitz wrote:

Really. And you know this how exactly? You can't just throw that on here as gospel without some solid evidence to prove your point. C'mon.
Why does he have to prove his point when you didn't prove yours?
bclions16
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:WCBF spotted Casey's van in the parking lot as we left the field.
Dude drives a van, really???
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

What?? :dizzy: :hypno: :dizzy: I wasn't proving anything. I asked a question and made a comment. Thanks for that though Blue in BC
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Tighthead and others get this right. Reid's comments are as poor as Printers berating Wilson on national TV. Worse as no one had sound on Printers.

Funny how none of the Lions spoke out when young Messam put Paris Jackson's jaw into a wire frame. That to me was far, far worse as it did not happen in the heat of battle.

Shocked that buono admits they were losing confidence in Casey over time. If that was the case no wonder he was fumbling. Players need to know they have the coach's support or he should not be on the field.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Interesting that it appears there was a real problem in the locker room where CP was concerned. Yet, the local media who thrived on QB controversies in the past could not find any traction with that story line. Yesterday the talk show hosts were talking about how they "weren't buying CPs team-first cliches" and that the act appeared insincere and scripted. Guys like Angus have come forward to publicly support WB's decision. Others have confirmed that the majority of players did not believe in Printers as their leader.

My point is this: here you have a 5-9 team (that went 1-7 at one point), no clear cut consensus #1 QB, one of those QB's is a high profile-high paid player who does not have the confidence of his teammates, a public and media who are not shy about pointing the finger of blame at the coaching staff (especially the OC), a coaching staff that in return points the finger back at the players, and yet despite all this the Lions have more or less kept their "stuff" together. Given everything that has gone down this year, the Lions could have become a total gong-show off the field. Somehow they have managed to keep this team together, or so it seems.

The 2006 BC LIons were the most successful team in franchise history because they were a united group who played their butts off for each other. The 2010 BC Lions are not as talented or well coached (2006 had Dave Ritchie as DC), but maybe we'll a see a much more united, committed, and motivated team down the stretch and into the playoffs.

EDIT: my mistake, Chap left in 2007
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

nah, it was his white Lincoln Navigator.....WCJ was just funnin ya, but it was there when we left.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:Interesting that it appears there was a real problem in the locker room where CP was concerned. Yet, the local media who thrived on QB controversies in the past could not find any traction with that story line. Yesterday the talk show hosts were talking about how they "weren't buying CPs team-first cliches" and that the act appeared insincere and scripted. Guys like Angus have come forward to publicly support WB's decision. Others have confirmed that the majority of players did not believe in Printers as their leader.

My point is this: here you have a 5-9 team (that went 1-7 at one point), no clear cut consensus #1 QB, one of those QB's is a high profile-high paid player who does not have the confidence of his teammates, a public and media who are not shy about pointing the finger of blame at the coaching staff (especially the OC), a coaching staff that in return points the finger back at the players, and yet despite all this the Lions have more or less kept their "stuff" together. Given everything that has gone down this year, the Lions could have become a total gong-show off the field. Somehow they have managed to keep this team together, or so it seems.

The 2006 BC LIons were the most successful team in franchise history because they were a united group who played their butts off for each other. The 2010 BC Lions are not as talented or well coached (2006 had Dave Ritchie as DC), but maybe we'll a see a much more united, committed, and motivated team down the stretch and into the playoffs.

EDIT: my mistake, Chap left in 2007
Interesting thought. I believe this will unite and strengthen the team. At least we shouldn't see the same boneheaded mistakes that have given away two of the past six games.
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

David wrote: One thing I'm discovering this year is that Angus Reid has a big mouth. A media darling and a great "go to" quote? Sure. He gives the media the sound byte they want and he'll probably make a very good analyst some day. But revealing the gory details to the scribes and breaking down the four walls of the locker room I find a little unsavory.
After any other loss, I'd agree. Normally you toe the team line and keep your dirty laudry behind closed doors.

But after the Thanksgiving Day Fourth Quarter Debacle, that doesn't cut it. "We'll try to learn from this and put it behind us" would be woefully inadequate. A veteran like Reid is right to step up and send a message to the fans and to his teammates. Sure, on the face of it, he's talking trash about a former QB. But by doing this publically, he is telling the young impressionable guys in the locker room and the fans in the seats that despite the usual code of silence there really are consequences for a bad attitude.

I think Reid has become the voice of the team for things Buono can't say. I think when he is talking about Printers' lack of leadership, he is looking squarely at Sanchez. When he is talking about Printers' selfishness, he is looking at Davis and Mitchell. I hope everyone is listening.
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Whisperin' Jimmy wrote: I think Reid has become the voice of the team for things Buono can't say. I think when he is talking about Printers' lack of leadership, he is looking squarely at Sanchez. When he is talking about Printers' selfishness, he is looking at Davis and Mitchell. I hope everyone is listening.
I agree WJ... in most situations the expected response ("the code" as Blitz posted on another thread) would be for the players to speak kindly of the outgoing player and pledge support of the guy taking over the job. But this is not a typical situation. ANYTHING involving Casey Printers seems to create debate, controversy, and division amongst the team, fans, and media. Angus, as a veteran player and leader of the team stepped up and basically made sure the Printers situation COULD be put behind the BC Lions. Had Angus not said what he said, had other players not echoed what Angus was saying, the debate over Printer's release might have destroyed what is left of this season. If only WB goes on the public record about Printers, then the story becomes "who was on Printer's side, who was against him?". We saw what that did to the locker room in 2005. Now it is all out in the open. Now there is no controversy. Sure, us fans may (likely will) debate "what could have been" until the end of time, but one thing that seems crystal clear to me is that Printers was not part of this team anymore and had to go.