canadian running game anyone...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnHenry wrote:As far as Lee being converted to slotback, the Lions are projected to start 3 American receivers plus P. Jackson. I doubt Lee would be as polished of receiver for the 5th spot as O. Wilson this season, although Jamal probably has better wheels.
While there was some mention of that last year it seemed to come more often from the mouth of Glen Suitor than Wally Buono. At the time Buono may have mentioned it Lee was in Carolina. Mallett was already proving to be a more than adequate replacement for Stefan Logan. At the same time Logan was still in Steeler training camp with a return to BC being a very distinct possibility. I'm sure when Logan signed in Pittsburgh Buono, like most of us, would've pegged Logan's chances of sticking in the NFL at less than 20%. Those odds obviously were changing with each and every week of camp. Still nobody knew for sure until final cutdown day. If Buono was considering Lee at SB I think he was mostly thinking of different ways of utilizing him in the event there was a real logjam of talent at TB. As much as the CFL is a QB league it's also a SB league. For most teams beyond the quarterback it's the slotbacks who stir the offence's drink. As things unfolded since Buono mentioned any thoughts of Lee at SB Logan did not return to BC, Lee stayed in Carolina longer than anyone anticipated and Mallett is in Philadelphia, at least until sometime in August. So things are very much different today than they were last June.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
joe kapp22
Legend

Hambone wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:As far as Lee being converted to slotback, the Lions are projected to start 3 American receivers plus P. Jackson. I doubt Lee would be as polished of receiver for the 5th spot as O. Wilson this season, although Jamal probably has better wheels.
While there was some mention of that last year it seemed to come more often from the mouth of Glen Suitor than Wally Buono. At the time Buono may have mentioned it Lee was in Carolina. Mallett was already proving to be a more than adequate replacement for Stefan Logan. At the same time Logan was still in Steeler training camp with a return to BC being a very distinct possibility. I'm sure when Logan signed in Pittsburgh Buono, like most of us, would've pegged Logan's chances of sticking in the NFL at less than 20%. Those odds obviously were changing with each and every week of camp. Still nobody knew for sure until final cutdown day. If Buono was considering Lee at SB I think he was mostly thinking of different ways of utilizing him in the event there was a real logjam of talent at TB. As much as the CFL is a QB league it's also a SB league. For most teams beyond the quarterback it's the slotbacks who stir the offence's drink. As things unfolded since Buono mentioned any thoughts of Lee at SB Logan did not return to BC, Lee stayed in Carolina longer than anyone anticipated and Mallett is in Philadelphia, at least until sometime in August. So things are very much different today than they were last June.

Another possibility is that Buono did not wish to showcase J Lee only to lose him Mallet like to the NFL, during the season there would have been little reason to use him heavily with Martel on the roster, and a year in the offensive system would make Lee a ready replacement at Rb/Kr.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
OV - 54:40
Champion

We shall see; the TC & exhibition game evidence may speak volumes on this one; hope some of you guys are able to attend some of TC and provide reports. :rockin: Who are getting the most and first team reps at tailback; who carries the ball a lot in exhibition games. Harris got zero carries last year in exhibition games, right? Lee was not given any real shot at TB when he was available on the roster (turned to vet AJ Harris - a very good back IMO, but Lee could have been given a few carries to see what he could do); I have a feeling Messam will be thought of as a fullback type more - we'll see if he rates any work at tailback in camp or ex. games.

Same for other interesting battles for playing time with the Lions - MLB, safety, DE OT, 4th & 5th receiver - who will get the most reps in TC and playing time in ex. games?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

OV - 54:40 wrote:hope some of you guys are able to attend some of TC and provide reports. :rockin:
I wish. Danged 22 hour round trip drive will make it difficult to fit in on a weekend this year. If I felt like wasting fuel I could go spy on the Evil Empire. They're much closer. :wink:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:IDanged 22 hour round trip drive will make it difficult to fit in on a weekend this year. If I felt like wasting fuel I could go spy on the Evil Empire. They're much closer. :wink:
There are no scheduled weekend practices in Kamloops anyway due to two Sunday preseason games so that will likely keep crowds away from training camp.

I also noticed the Lions have a two-week layoff after their final preseason game. I don't know when they officially break camp and move down to Surrey. B.C. and Edmonton are the last teams to kick off the regular season.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Hambone wrote:IDanged 22 hour round trip drive will make it difficult to fit in on a weekend this year. If I felt like wasting fuel I could go spy on the Evil Empire. They're much closer. :wink:
There are no scheduled weekend practices in Kamloops anyway due to two Sunday preseason games so that will likely keep crowds away from training camp.

I also noticed the Lions have a two-week layoff after their final preseason game. I don't know when they officially break camp and move down to Surrey. B.C. and Edmonton are the last teams to kick off the regular season.
With vets reporting on June 6th training camp could run no later than Wed. June 23rd. Per the CBA camp must end no later than the 18th day from and including the opening day of camp for vets. Probably doesn't make a lot of sense to return to Kamloops after the Edmonton exhibition game.