CFL Stadiums and Game Day Experiences

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

What is your favourite CFL Stadium for a game day experience?

BC Place Stadium
46%
McMahon Stadium
5%
Commonwealth Stadium
3%
Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field
5%
Canad Inns Stadium
11%
Ivor Wynne Stadium
22%
Rogers Centre
3%
Percival Molson Memorial Stadium
No votes
Frank Clair Stadium at Lansdowne Park
5%

Total votes: 37
Vern Halen
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:I wouldn't paint the field but I sure wish those awful blue seats in B.C. Place could be replaced by black ones. They would absorb some of the excess light from overhead and wouldn't stand out as much as the blue ones.
Doesn't matter what color the seats are at Mosaic - they're always filled. :beauty:
Rammer
Team Captain

Vern Halen wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:I wouldn't paint the field but I sure wish those awful blue seats in B.C. Place could be replaced by black ones. They would absorb some of the excess light from overhead and wouldn't stand out as much as the blue ones.
Doesn't matter what color the seats are at Mosaic - they're always filled. :beauty:
I hope that is the case in a couple of seasons of 500 ball as well, but we have seen that Stadium dip below the 20K mark in the recent past.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Vern Halen
Champion

Rammer wrote:
Vern Halen wrote:
I hope that is the case in a couple of seasons of 500 ball as well, but we have seen that Stadium dip below the 20K mark in the recent past.
That's true - there were several years in the 80s and 90s where the Riders were lucky to draw 19k to the stadium. The wierd thing is over the last 5-7 years, it's become "cool" for Saskatchewan kids to cheer for the Riders. I remember back in high-school when I'd get mocked for wearing my Rider touque to school, when everybody else had NFL toques on. The Riders were your uncle's team and your dad's team, but not yours - too uncool.

Now we have a new generation of fans that have come on board and pack the stadium come game day. Unfortunately, there will be fairweather fans who will no doubt abandom the team when we have a sub-par season, as well as the brainless who think it's fun to chuck beer cans onto the field, but I imagine there are quite a few genuine Rider fans mixed in this new generation as well and I hope they'll keep coming to the games in the lean years.

That being said, everything is cyclical (sp?) and I do beleive the Riders are still peaking and will have several good seasons ahead of them before the lean years return.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:I have been to Canad Inns Stadium... the place felt like a dump (sorry Blue in BC). Very old and barren.
I guess that provides even more support of the new stadium in 2011.

Anybody going to make a point to attend that stadium once it's opened?
http://www.blueandgold.ca/
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Tonight will be the last time as a Lions game day experience under a fixed roof. Enjoy it while you can. Take lots of pictures as this experience will be a thing of the past come 10:30 PM tonight.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The extended forecast calls for showers on Sunday in Hamilton. So mother nature will likely play a factor in the outdoor Ivor Wynn Stadium.
Solar Max wrote:Ivor Wynn hands down for best game day experience, and sight lines.
Aside from SM, any other thoughts on game day experiences in Ivor Wynne? Is there anything about Ivor Wynne that can intimidate the visiting team?
祝你龍年行大運。
QB Club 63
All Star

I would think the most intimidating thing about I-never-win Stadium would be how close that da*n wall is to the sidelines! :tease:

I have never been to a CFL game in any other stadium, but I did see a Jays game at Skydome (yeah, I know, but it will always be Skydome to me :wink: ) waaay back when it was still fairly shiny & new (we're talking 1995 here, folks). I think I was too busy running around snapping photos to get much of an impression. :2cents:

One of the coolest things about old Empire Stadium was the view of the Lions - the peaks, not the team - off in the distance while we were cheering for the Lions - the team, not the peaks. :cheer: I'm looking forward to enjoying that purrfect sight again next season, just as long they don't bring back those old 2x8 wooden planks they used to call "seats"! :bang: I don't know if my butt can handle that much retro. :roar:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

So the Lions will be playing in Olympic Stadium. Who remembers the last time the Lions played in Olympic Stadium - 1997?

And of course, I assume you remember the Lions won the 1985 Grey Cup inside Olympic Stadium, and that was before the roof was covered.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

For the Grey Cup at McMahon Stadium, although the put the 2007 Grey Cup logo at centre field, they left the end zones the same showing the Stampeders logo at one side and the University of Calgary logo at the other. Sometimes the end zones will show the logos of the two finalists.

祝你龍年行大運。
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

You'd think they could have seen fit to remove the soccer markings for the Grey Cup. Kind of cheesy IMO.
nelson95
Legend

McMahon was totally undersized for this game
Terrible lineups primarily for the bathrooms
Some Calgarians I met were embarrassed by the poor facilities
Guess why there were 9 years between grey cups there

Great festival though
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Another issue, looking at the overhead shot. It's very nice that the U of Calgary and Stampeders logos were on the field but should they not have been replaced with the Alouette and Roughrider logos? It's meant to be a neutral site. The participating teams logos ought to have been on there. Again, cheesy and something the Commissioner's Office needs to get a grip on.Those things need to be right in the hosting agreement.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:Another issue, looking at the overhead shot. It's very nice that the U of Calgary and Stampeders logos were on the field but should they not have been replaced with the Alouette and Roughrider logos? It's meant to be a neutral site. The participating teams logos ought to have been on there.
I already said that above.
祝你龍年行大運。
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote: I already said that above.
Good. We're of a similar mind on this. :thup:
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I think it's worse than cheezy; I would say the Grey Cup game is big enough to have a clean field featuring the two teams. C'mon Mark wrap your head around that wouldja?