Hockey legend Ernie 'Punch' McLean missing

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I know Ernie from the downtown YMCA where he and I were both members and I used to watch his Bruins play. He is a fine man and character builder despite what you read of his tough teams. My wife abhors violence in sports and she and our boys were with me at many games in New West. What I liked about Ernie (coach and owner) was how he'd talk to fans about the team when you'd go into the Bruins office on game day for tickets. If my wife and kids weren't there I 'd stand up at the back and invariably Bill Shinske - co-owner and GM - would come over to me at some point and start by asking a question.

I can't think of a single player from his teams that they had for any length of time who has not done well in their careers including careers outside of hockey.

I enjoyed Punch's stories in the Health Club locker room where he was a regular when he was not out looking for gold - a passion of his. My friend taught many at New West high and he said how polite they were and how well groomed and dressed they were. Ernie also made them help out others and do chores like put on roofing shingles. He is a good man, I hope this is not serious.

He has survived a plane crash so hopefully he is just off chasing the mother lode to its source.

"Hockey legend Ernie “Punch” McLean has been reported missing.

Police are actively searching for the 77-year-old B.C. Hall-of-Famer in northern B.C.'s Dease Lake area. He is believed to have been surveying a gold-claim property at the time of his disappearance Sunday afternoon, police said.

The area where he was last seen is mountainous and remote, and is only accessible by all-terrain vehicles or by air. "

http://www.canada.com/news/Hockey+legen ... story.html
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Ernie's been found. This is great news. This is great coach and great character developer. All that Portland Massacre stuff is overblown. He developed some fine young pros and some fine young men who have been successful in business and life.

I got to know Ernie better from the YMCA gymn where we were both members. He gave a great speech when the downtown YMCA closed. He is one tough guy with a kind heart and a kind word for all he comes in contact with. The news and comments on the web suggest he is well liked in the north with a lot of people out looking for him.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy