CFL Players and Facebook

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

CFL cautions players about Facebook; Social networking site, along with Twitter, can possibly reveal too much information
The Toronto Star
Fri 24 Apr 2009
Page: S02
Section: Sports
Byline: CHRIS ZELKOVICH
Source: Toronto Star

When CFL communications head Matt Maychak addressed players on the issue of media sensitivity last year, Facebook was barely mentioned and Twitter never entered the picture.

But when he spoke to a group of Hamilton Tiger-Cats recently, the perils of social networking sites comprised more than one-third of his talk aimed at keeping players from saying and posting things that could get them in trouble.

The reason is that with the growing popularity of such Internet sites, young athletes are presented with even more opportunities to put their virtual feet into their virtual mouths.

While most know enough to avoid controversial statements when talking to the traditional media, they're not always so savvy when it comes to the Internet.

"These guys live online," Maychak said. "We were basically telling them to think and pause before they press the send button.

"Treat it as if you were in front of a microphone or television camera. Don't assume that what you write is just going to 20 buddies."

Maychak has offered his services to all eight CFL teams, but some already have their own programs in place. The Toronto Argonauts, for example, provide similar public relations training for players, coaches and cheerleaders.

"Most of our guys know what they should and shouldn't say online," Argos communications director Beth Waldman said.

That's not necessarily the case with cheerleaders.

"These are girls who've never been the public face of anything and all of a sudden they are on our team and they become public," she said. "It's a safety concern. If you organize a night out on your page, you don't know who's going to show up.

"We tell them, 'If somebody's not your friend, you don't need to accept them as a friend.'"

So far, indiscretions and problems have been rare in the CFL. Some free agents posted information about which team they were signing with before it became official. Former Argo Riall Johnson posted thoughts on retiring after being traded to Winnipeg, but later retracted them.

But the danger for worse is there, which is why many have chosen to make their Facebook pages open by invitation only.

Quarterback Kerry Joseph and receiver Arland Bruce III have public pages, but running back Bryan Crawford says he ensures that every one of the 500-plus people who have access to his page is either a friend or an acquaintance.

"I use it to keep in touch with people I don't see that often, so there's not much there that could get me in trouble," he said. "But I still don't want to get into an awkward situation with somebody I don't know regardless of intent."

Argos defensive end Jonathan Brown's Facebook page is also private.

"You have to watch your words because you don't know if the person you're talking to isn't going to pass that on to somebody you don't know," he said.

That's the real danger, said Maychak, whether it's social networking or texting.

"Say a player meets a woman in a bar," he said. "The next day, he texts her on what happened in practice. She sends it somebody to impress them that she knows an Argo.

"That person sends it to somebody else and who knows where it ends up?"

Social networking sites are perilous places, especially for celebrities and athletes. In addition to embarrassing themselves with imprudent comments, they are subject to pranksters.

Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke and Argonauts running back Jamal Robertson have both been victimized by impersonators.

One unidentified Argo player shut down his Facebook page after he opened it to fans and started receiving disturbing postings along with invitations from women he'd never met.

But the CFL and its teams certainly have nothing against the sites. Almost all are on Twitter. Even commissioner Mark Cohon has his own Twitter account.
More than just the CFL players should concern themselves with who they allow on their facebook access.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

exactly thats why i made my page private cause i dont want random dusters adding me and being able to see my contact info :)
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Well many people are using Facebook for business purposes and a lot of these guys might want to do that too. A lot of FB is stupid and young people should be cautioned on its use and contacts. Social media like Linkedin for me in Hong Kong are vital to our business interests as we see it is to others. I have just had to remove the crap about what the nieces are nephews are doing from mine and tweak it to business.

You just have to manage your information, etc. Ken Blanchard and Stephen Covey are on FB using it for business, why not some of these guys who want to get fans to their sites and even blogs for some if it fits their non football business interests.

This reminds me a bit of the talk about why a business might not be on the internet. We know that they are all their now.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Facebook is a waste of time...and lives.

People have ruined themselves with the site, and the scary thing is that some of those that have lost everything can't even see that.

Some people can discern the difference between the online cyberworld, and others cannot. Pity for those living the cyber fantasy.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Last edited by CatsEyes on Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real women wear orange!!
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

To each his own. On any internet site you have to use common sense. Celebrities such as athletes need to be a even more guarded.

My profile is private, and I certainly don't have any issues with facebook destroying my life. If anything, it's helped me keep in touch, or get back in touch with many old friends over the last two years, people I hadn't seen in 20 years.

As far as discerning the difference between the online cyberworld and real ife, the same could be said about football sites, or any realm of the internet for that matter.

It's up to each individual to be safe, and for parents to make sure their children are behaving appropriately online.

While they can be detrimental if not used safely, Facebook and Twitter are valuable/effective social networking tools and can have an effective role in a vast world.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Rammer
Team Captain

Then I guess that you aren't voting for the NDP...."Most in B.C. can't grasp Facebook, NDP official says"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... itics/home
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

OrangeShoes99 wrote:To each his own. On any internet site you have to use common sense. Celebrities such as athletes need to be a even more guarded.

My profile is private, and I certainly don't have any issues with facebook destroying my life. If anything, it's helped me keep in touch, or get back in touch with many old friends over the last two years, people I hadn't seen in 20 years.

As far as discerning the difference between the online cyberworld and real ife, the same could be said about football sites, or any realm of the internet for that matter.

It's up to each individual to be safe, and for parents to make sure their children are behaving appropriately online.

While they can be detrimental if not used safely, Facebook and Twitter are valuable/effective social networking tools and can have an effective role in a vast world.
While I use FB for business but not Twitter I couldn't agree more - especially the safety issue for our children and their children. It is how you use these things. I get a lot from LinkedIn business wise too.

Now what you post is an issue as the loose cannon coach of the Bombers has found time and again. This guy has no respect for others it seems and certainly lacks the class you'd expect for a Head Coach. I am shocked the CFL is declining to fine Mike Kelly. By their explanation, you can say what you want but just be playful about it!!! What is that. Mens rea (intent) now being applied to statements like a test in a criminal trial. CFL get your head out of your butts!!! This demands action and is the kind of thing that will ensure that others in the CFL stay within the lines of fair comment and decency.

I do agree with Vanstone that fans from that province overreacting is not good, but surely the CFL will stand up for common sense??? Nope, they blew it.

Riders wise to take high road over ‘crotch’ comment

By Rob Vanstone, Regina Leader-Post April 24, 2009

Kelly served up an inflammatory quote the other day at the Bombers’ fan forum. While referring to Winnipeg’s acquisitions from the Edmonton Eskimos and Saskatchewan Roughriders, Kelly spoke derisively of the latter team, its region and, er, another region.

“We kind of raided the toothless, green, watermelon-helmet-wearing people from the crotch of Canada,’’ Kelly said, to considerable amusement.

The story is here:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Rider ... story.html
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:[“We kind of raided the toothless, green, watermelon-helmet-wearing people from the crotch of Canada,’’ Kelly said, to considerable amusement.
Most Saskatchewan folks would take that as a compliment. They know who has the balls and where they hang when compared to Winnipeg. ;-)
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
ziggy
Legend

For some folks any attention is good attention. The Rider fans will pretend to be indignant, all the while using this to further fuel their rivalry with Winnipeg. The Banjo bowl will be even more hotly contested this year!