Casey Printers released by Ti-Cats, the Riders interested...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:
Jim Mullin wrote:Here are the facts:

Medlock said he hasn't phoned anyone yet. He will place his calls Monday morning.

He would not confirm or deny that they would look at a backup role versus a starters role.

He would be calling BC, Saskatchewan and Toronto. They will all talk because there may be a bargain to be had.

Personally, I think he is headed to Montreal to get a new start and sit behind AC for a year.

Tillman had eariler said that he has little interest in him. Wally is just interested gathering info because he's using his cap room on other priorities. Toronto just signed Joseph to an extension and the Argos are not inerested in Joseph vs. Bishop repeat from last year.
Jim Popp was highly critical of Printers during an interview with Bob McCown during Grey Cup week. I would be very surprised if the Als have an interest in Printers as that would be quite a change of heart on Popp's part.
It was because Casey had a verbal agreement with Montreal before he signed with Hamilton.

He was en route, landed in Cleveland for his connector and was told to return to Texas and not go to Montreal.

There was a delegation from the Als who were there ready to greet him. They were choked when he was a no show.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
pennw
Legend

firstdown45 wrote: XXXedit by DXXX thrown onto the ice.
Are you guys with me on this?
You would do such a thing ?? Do you save your's for such things?? :no:
Sorry but count me out on this .
firstdown45

Then if Montreal was so "choked" they'll have no part of Printers
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

firstdown45 wrote:
I wonder what a *Mod Edit* will look like smeared on the ice.
Mods???

This is the line.

- - - - - - - - - -

I believe he crossed it.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

firstdown45 wrote:The cat's out of the bag now.

Did I say Casey would start for the Lions?

Maybe we'll have a 3 way QB controversy.

Maybe. Just mabey.

But maybe not.

Trade Jarious and have Casey and Buck battle for Starter.

Who cares what Wally said then. This is Here and Now not There and Then.

If Buck is so good as you claim, let him beat out Casey at training camp.

You have an issue with competition? Let Casey push Buck at training camp.

Light a fire under Buck and indicate that it's time for him to "start producing".

Pierce already has beaten out Printers for the starting QB position with the Lions.

Unlike Printers, Pierce is on the team and been deemed the # 1 QB.

It's just you that can't see the reality.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

firstdown45 wrote:and bloody tampons thrown onto the ice.

I wonder what a XXXedit by DXXX will look like smeared on the ice.
I guess the first one was ok, it was the second that needed that mod edit :hypno:
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
firstdown45 wrote:
I wonder what a *Mod Edit* will look like smeared on the ice.
Mods???

This is the line.

- - - - - - - - - -

I believe he crossed it.
Should he decide to cross it again.....

CMAC
Rookie

Casey thinking to himself....hmmmmm,Als?nah Argos?nah BC? nah...hey JETS need a QB!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here's the latest from Wally on Printers:
Lions: Printers still has the goods, Buono says

By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun

VANCOUVER — The problem in evaluating Casey Printers is that his best football was played five years ago. Yet most cities in the CFL would gladly tolerate, if not embrace, a former most outstanding player if they could be assured he is still the same player without the accumulated baggage.

“I believe what Casey did in 2004 [with the Lions] was not an accident,” says B.C. head coach Wally Buono. “If he was in the right place at the right time with the right attitude and the right work ethic I believe he can create that excitement again. Somebody has to take that risk and have a situation to fit that risk.”
Buono believes Printers still has the goods. But would he want to drop his investments in other Lions QBs to prove his point?

“Honestly, I don’t know if we’re in position to sign Casey,” Buono admits. “Maybe, a month ago, if things had unfolded differently, we might have. But we’ve made commitments to both of our starting quarterbacks [Buck Pierce and Jarious Jackson] and I don’t want to send a false message. At the same time, when Jason [Printers’ agent Jason Medlock] calls, I’ll listen. I think it would be disrespectful not to listen after what Casey did for us five years ago.”
Full article
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“I don’t know if I’ve seen a more purrfect guy saying and doing all the right things when he got a chance to play and won [in 2004],” says Hamilton GM Bob O’Billovich, who was the Lions player personnel director five years ago. “Casey had the respect of his teammates by a wide margin. Then it all started to go south. It seemed like, when he came back from the NFL, his ego was fractured. It may have weighed on him psychologically [being cut from the Chiefs]. He just couldn’t get his groove back. There’s no question he didn’t display the same kinds of things with us that he did before he went to the NFL.”
... "Then it all started to go south" - Bob O’Billovich ...

Yep. A shame, really. 2004 was such an electric year with Casey carving up the CFL.

There is a possibility now that no CFL will pick him up.
Montreal GM Jim Popp, for instance, has no interest in Printers
Saskatchewan, Toronto or even Calgary (as a backup to Henry Burris) could be a fit. The Roughriders, however, are still getting over a bad experience with another gunslinger who was an island onto himself -- Michael Bishop
“Honestly, I don’t know if we’re in position to sign Casey,” Buono admits. “Maybe, a month ago, if things had unfolded differently ... when Jason [Printers’ agent Jason Medlock] calls, I’ll listen. I think it would be disrespectful not to listen after what Casey did for us five years ago.”
Wally's position sounds like more of a courtesy than anything else. Doubtful if Casey will be with the Lions. IMHO
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I was listening to Guilio Caravatta on Team 1040 last night. He talked about how Printers seemed to be "the nicest kid" when he first joined BC, but once he had some success his attitude quickly changed. He also mentioned talking to Ti-Cat players mates who gave the impression Printers' attitude did very little to fostering good relationships with his own team mates. Caravatta understood Printers looking towards BC for another opportunity because it was the only place he's ever had success as a pro. However 4 seasons have gone by since then. Printers' career showed a fast meteoric climb to the top and a slow steady decline through the 4 seasons that have since passed. Only a desperate organization with very suspect QBs would offer Printers anything more than a shot to compete as a backup. As Guilio said Wally is a businessman. If/when Medlock calls he will listen. Buono knows what he has in Buck Pierce and where Buck is in terms of his development. Despite Printers' wild success in 2004 there is a huge question mark on him as to whether he can ever return to that level. If Medlock thinks there is a shot for Printers to sign in BC and immediately be given a crack to win the starting job then the phone call will be very brief. Wally is not one to gamble the Lions' season on such a huge question mark as Printers is now. From someone who is not known as a gambler on those sorts of things it would easily be the biggest gamble of Buono's career. If CP is willing to start back at the bottom to resurrect his confidence and career by battling it out for #3 then there might be a role here. If he has his mind set on a situation where he will enter camp with a shot to compete for #1 then he better look somewhere east of the Rockies. Wherever he goes his first priority will be to leave his ego at the door. As Caravatta also opined he may have swallowed enough humble pie in the last couple of years that he will finally be able to do so.

I think Montreal as an understudy to future Hall of Famer Anthony Calvillo might be the best situation for him although they are very high on McPherson. Saskatchewan would seem to be on the shakiest ground in terms of unknowns with Durant tentatively being annointed #1. The one team that hasn't been mentioned as a potential suitor is Winnipeg. Kelly is high on Lefors and they do have Randell in the wings. Most teams are somewhat set with the direction they intend to take vis a vis QB. Printers may have to hold off until somebody gets through most of training camp to decide they may have to look for a Plan B.
Last edited by Hambone on Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Hambone wrote:
The one team that hasn't been mentioned as a potential suitor is Winnipeg. Kelly is high on Jyles and they do have Randell in the wings. Most teams are somewhat set with the direction they intend to take vis a vis QB. Printers may have to hold off until somebody gets through most of training camp to decide they may have to look for a Plan B.
Looks like the Bombers are out.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/footb ... 6-sun.html
The last week for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers has been one of the team's busiest stretches in years.

Don't expect it to get any crazier this weekend, though, because it sounds as if Casey Printers will not be coming to the Manitoba capital any time soon.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats officially released the quarterback yesterday, leaving the CFL's (former) highest-paid player looking for a new place of employment.

Bombers head coach Mike Kelly said last month Printers wasn't in his team's plans, and reiterated those thoughts yesterday.

Not convinced

"At this particular juncture I'm just not convinced Casey looks good in blue," Kelly said, "and I'm happy with our situation the way it is."

Printers is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. He was the CFL's most outstanding player in 2004 with the B.C. Lions, but left for the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs after the 2005 campaign. After a season and a training camp with the Chiefs, he returned to the CFL with the Tiger-Cats amid much fanfare.

He signed a massive contract that paid him a reported $400,000 per season and vowed to become the best quarterback to play football, but he was nothing close to that.

Printers played 18 games for the Ticats over a year and a half and threw six touchdowns and 14 interceptions. He was also injury-prone and not exactly well-loved by his teammates, although some insist to this day that Printers is misunderstood and means well but just can't get his intentions across.

He's still a relative kid at 27 years of age, but all the uncertainty surrounding him has some teams wary. Kelly hinted at that when asked if Printers' experience was at least worth a look.

"It depends on what kind of experience you're bringing," he said. "I kind of mean to be joking there, but there's also a serious side to that."

Printers is expected to sign for a reduced price, but not even that has Kelly interested.

"When I'm looking at some of these things, money isn't a factor," he said. "I don't want to even put money into it. I'm talking about building team chemistry, and from what I know about guys we've signed and how they've responded to us on the phone when we have signed them, I like what we're building here.

"There is a master plan. So right now, from information that I've gathered -- and I've never coached Casey, I've never met Casey -- I don't feel there's a sense of urgency to go out and sign Casey, at any price."

It's believed B.C. and Montreal might take a run at Printers.
The_Pauser
Legend

What's funny is they made a move that somewhat applies to Casey Printers: Any Given Sunday. Does Printers not remind anyone a bit of Willie Beaman? The movie came out before Printers broke out...but still.

Anyways, I would very much like to see him brought back. Bring him to camp to compete with Buck and Jarious, and when he proves he's better than Jarious we'll have Casey and Buck. I'd probably still go with Buck as our starter right now...he's earned it and deserves a shot to show what he can do. However, should Buck falter, I'm confident Casey could step in and be a very good QB for us.
Roar you Lions roar!
frstdown45

Yeah I agree, what's wrong with just signing Casey to a ONE YEAR Try out - "Show us what you got" contract.

It's not like Casey or Medlock are in a position of power here.

If Buck wins the battle, extend Buck's contract and let Casey go.

If Casey wins, you've got a Buck - Casey combo which looks good. Trade away JJ.

Buck's looking for an extension. Great. Why sign it now?

Wait till training camp or deeper into the season and have Casey push him.

Make Buck earn the extension.

But it's silly to assume Casey isn't gonna get snapped up by someone.

It's also just as silly to assume that Casey won't have to take a huge pay cut in order to be considered by anyone.

Montreal has already said they're out. Toronto extended Joseph's contract so why there?

The Riders are a huge mess right now with Eric Tillman. And Winnipeg says they're out.

Casey will be in Vancouver for preliminary talks in the next two weeks, guaranteed.