Brett Favre Retires at the Age of 38 ... 39 ...

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:I still don't understand how you get " Farve" from FAVRE ????????????? :shock:
It must have gotten corrupted, as occasionally happens when words migrate from one language to another for which some sounds of the former don't exist. Just like in Newfoundland, you have Bay D'Espoir (literally "Bay of Hope" in French), which the locals pronounce as "Bay Despair". There's actually some controversy over which of those is the original and which is the corruption :hypno:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

This is really getting ugly. Packers want Vikings penalized for tampering because a Viking Coach has chatted with Favre.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:I still don't understand how you get " Farve" from FAVRE ????????????? :shock:
Me neither. He's always been Fav-ree to me.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
Me neither. He's always been Fav-ree to me.
The same way you get KEY from QUAY....cuz u can...lol :wink:
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well, unretired and playing in the NFL's anti-thesis of GreenBay. Favre JETS uni's are flying off the shelves. I really think the Favre-sheen has worn off due to this offseason. However, I don't know why "football is a business" when Teams make decisions but a player like Favre is expected to be 'loyal'?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Well, unretired and playing in the NFL's anti-thesis of GreenBay. Favre JETS uni's are flying off the shelves. I really think the Favre-sheen has worn off due to this offseason. However, I don't know why "football is a business" when Teams make decisions but a player like Favre is expected to be 'loyal'?
Favre has tarnished his legend, for sure. Flip-flop Favre. As Hamlet might have said: "To be, or not to be (a football player), that is the question."

I'm wondering if, while he was "retired," the Vikings contacted Favre and got his juices going. The Jets are not the team Favre wanted to play for in his unretirement. It could be ugly for Favre. No reason to think he will play as well with the Jets as he did in the familiar confines of Green Bay.

I admired what Favre achieved, especially in his last year with the Packers. Now he just seems like another in a long list of athletes that cannot bring themselves to retire when everyone else knows it is time.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

NEW YORK — Brett Favre, the National Football League's all-time passing leader, told the New York Jets he is retiring from football and this time the 39-year-old quarterback apparently means it.

Favre walked away from the NFL last year after a legendary career with the Green Bay Packers, only to change his mind as the season approached and after the Packers had moved on with replacement Aaron Rodgers.

That mess was not settled until Favre was traded to the Jets last August and sparked the club to a 9-7 season, missing the playoffs by losing four of their last five games — prompting some teammates to say he should have been benched.

"My time with the Jets was short, but I'm honored to be given that chance," Favre told ESPN in an e-mail.

Favre made a league-record 269 consecutive starts at quarterback and ended his NFL career with 5,720 completions in 9,281 passes for 65,127 yards and 464 touchdowns and 169 victories - all NFL records.

The Jets will save $13 million under NFL salary-cap rules with the departure of Favre but will need to fill the starting slot, having three inexperienced quarterbacks on the roster.

"We had a great conversation today and he said he was done playing so we took him at his word on that," Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said. "Everything was about him not wanting to play. He told us he no longer wanted to play football, that he was done and that he was moving on."

Jets chairman and chief executive Woody Johnson said there were no regrets at making the move for Favre only to see him leave after a single season.

"We didn't get as far as we would have liked. The decision was the right one to make," Johnson said.

"We thought at that point he would give us the best chance to win. We thought this was the best chance we had to improve the team, even at his age."

Six weeks after his final game and 11 months after his first retirement from the NFL, Favre brought down a final curtain on an 18-year career in part due to an ailing right shoulder that he said would influence his future choices.

Favre, a three-time NFL most valuable player, led Green Bay to victory in the 1997 Super Bowl and sparked the Packers back to the title game the following season only to lose to Denver.

Things would not have been the same for Favre had he returned to the Jets, who fired coach Eric Mangini after the late-season collapse and replaced him three weeks ago with Rex Ryan.

"It was an honour to coach against Brett over the years," Ryan said. "If he's not the best quarterback ever, then he's certainly in the conversation. I have great admiration for him. I wish him only the best in his life after football."

© Copyright (c) AFP

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Favre ... story.html

Well I doubt any 'unretiring' will be happening this time. I was STUNNED when he called it a career a year ago but look what happened!
bclions16
Champion

Yaawwwwnnnn.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

He should wait til training camp to announce his "retirement". Might look like a fool again announcing it now and then deciding once again to play another year.
bclions16
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:He should wait til training camp to announce his "retirement". Might look like a fool again announcing it now and then deciding once again to play another year.
Maybe he could play baseball?
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:NEW YORK — Brett Favre, the National Football League's all-time passing leader, told the New York Jets he is retiring from football and this time the 39-year-old quarterback apparently means it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brett....retire? When he could could further tarnish his reputation with his 14th retirement?

Nah. 8)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Please let it be so.

He made a huge mess last year, screwing up the plans of the Packers, messing up the Jets (who unloaded the very effective Chad Pennington), and ruining his own reputation.

Just the latest pro athlete who could not quit when all around him knew it was time.

Sayonara, one more time, Brett.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: ...
Just the latest pro athlete who could not quit when all around him knew it was time.
Are there any other NFL players you think are nearing their bestbefore date? I'm glad Favre got this done. It just seems you'd be better off calling it a career too soon rather than too late.
Bleddyn
Starter

Agreed notahomer, except in this case it is however one year too late.. WCJ gives a pretty good listing of the reasons just above you.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Bleddyn wrote:Agreed notahomer, except in this case it is however one year too late.. WCJ gives a pretty good listing of the reasons just above you.
I am not disagreeing either.

I know WCJ follows the NFL (as do I and yourself). I am just asking what other NFL'ers WCJ may think maybe nearing their bestbeforedate. Marvin Harrison maybe one I could see hanging them up before Training Camp.