Official NFL Thread 2008-09 Super Bowl 43 - Pitt 27 Ariz 23

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

NFL Spreads 11/30 - 12/1, 2008

Date & Time Favorite Spread Underdog

11/30 4:15 ET At NY Jets -8 Denver
11/30 1:00 ET At Buffalo -6.5 San Francisco
11/30 1:00 ET At Tampa Bay -3.5 New Orleans
11/30 1:00 ET At Green Bay -3 Carolina
11/30 1:00 ET NY Giants -3.5 At Washington
11/30 1:00 ET Miami -8 At St. Louis
11/30 1:00 ET Baltimore -7 At Cincinnati
11/30 1:00 ET Indianapolis -5 At Cleveland
11/30 4:05 ET At San Diego -4.5 Atlanta
11/30 4:15 ET At New England -1 Pittsburgh
11/30 4:15 ET At Oakland -3 Kansas City
11/30 8:15 ET At Minnesota -3 Chicago

Monday Night Football Point Spread

12/1 8:35 ET At Houston -3 Jacksonville

Eagles, Cowboys and Titans have already won this week. No surprise.

I've got Tampa, Pittsburgh and Oakland this week.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Maybe the Browns will do something over the Colts. Deryk Anderson gets his last few kicks at starting QB. Manning has been good but the Colts D?

I'll take the Chargers over the Falcons too!
Bleddyn
Starter

notahomer wrote:I'll take the Chargers over the Falcons too!
I'll take the Chargers for the first 59 min of play...after that... :sigh: So many games lost in the last few plays lately.
CartWheelFan
All Star

WestCoastJoe wrote:NFL Spreads 11/30 - 12/1, 2008

11/30 4:15 ET At NY Jets -8 Denver
11/30 1:00 ET At Buffalo -6.5 San Francisco
11/30 1:00 ET At Tampa Bay -3.5 New Orleans
11/30 1:00 ET At Green Bay -3 Carolina
11/30 1:00 ET NY Giants -3.5 At Washington
11/30 1:00 ET Miami -8 At St. Louis
11/30 1:00 ET Baltimore -7 At Cincinnati
11/30 1:00 ET Indianapolis -5 At Cleveland
11/30 4:05 ET At San Diego -4.5 Atlanta
11/30 4:15 ET At New England -1 Pittsburgh
11/30 4:15 ET At Oakland -3 Kansas City
11/30 8:15 ET At Minnesota -3 Chicago

12/1 8:35 ET At Houston -3 Jacksonville

Eagles, Cowboys and Titans have already won this week. No surprise.

I've got Tampa, Pittsburgh and Oakland this week.
I've got Tampa as well, and while I am a little biased towards them I think that Jeff Garcia has been looking foreword to this meeting for quite some time! The Bucs are 5-0 at home this year, and with cheerleaders like these.. how can you NOT cheer for the Bucs? :yahoo:

http://www.buccaneers.com/cheerleaders/teamphoto.aspx
CartWheelFan
All Star

This just in...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/20 ... rres_shot/

Gotta put this guy up for a Darwin award eh! Making 7 mill a year and can't pony up for some gun safety lessons!! :bang:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

OAKLAND RAIDERS (+10½) at SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

REID'S PICK TOM'S PICK
It is not that I have a lot of confidence in San Diego. It is that I have no confidence in Oakland. The Chargers are playing at home, on national TV, against a poor team from their own division. No excuses. The Raiders lost last week because they didn't know how to run a fake field goal. The Chargers lost because they didn't know how to fake being an NFL team. The loser of this one should be banished to Juarez. The Chargers will win, just because they are less awful.

Chargers 31, Raiders 17 Chargers 19, Raiders 11

CINCINNATI BENGALS (+14) at INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

REID'S PICK TOM'S PICK
I find it hard to believe that Peyton Manning and the offense can lay another egg like last week. They are playing a Cincinnati team that has given up points in bunches. Indianapolis is a team to fear in the AFC, and, conversely, should have no fear playing the Bengals. Thanks to a finishing schedule that stops just short of including Pop Warner rejects, the Colts will reach the playoffs. Indoors at home, they also will rediscover the passing game that vaporized at Cleveland last week. Marvin Lewis will be twitching like a bobblehead by the end of this one.

Colts 38, Bengals 10 Colts 38, Bengals 13

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS (+7) at CHICAGO BEARS

REID'S PICK TOM'S PICK
At home I’ll take Kyle Orton, Matt Forte & Co. Jacksonville has had trouble on offense and the Bears can play some defense. The key here is to double down on the Bears if Chicago scores first, because Todd Marinovich has a better chance to make a comeback than a team coached by Jack Del Rio. A year ago, this would have been a great matchup, but that was when the Jags still had biceps.

Bears 21, Jaguars 17 Bears 23, Jaguars 13

HOUSTON TEXANS (+6) at GREEN BAY PACKERS

REID'S PICK TOM'S PICK
Might be my favorite game of the week. I’m officially on the Steve Slaton bandwagon and Mario Williams has proven worthy of the top pick. Don’t even start me on Sage Rosenfels. On the flip side, I’ve been an Aaron Rodgers guy since opening day. The Texans are not a great road team, but I’m picking them in the upset. Nothing like a matchup of 5-7 teams to inspire a trip to the liquor store. In the wake of their Monday night magnificence, the Texans will still be atwirl. And then the reality of being outdoors at Lambeau will set in.

Texans 28, Packers 24 Packers 27, Texans 20

CLEVELAND BROWNS (+14) at TENNESSEE TITANS

REID'S PICK TOM'S PICK
Tennessee barely broke a sweat against Detroit on Thanksgiving Day and is now rested and ready for this home game. The Browns are on QB No. 3. It is hard to see Cleveland even being competitive. There are no sure things, but this one isn’t hard to pick. It's so sad that this isn't a Thanksgiving game. Because the Titans' pass rush is going to latch on to third-string quarterback Ken Dorsey and make a wish.

Titans 31, Browns 10 Titans 31, Browns 14

MINNESOTA VIKINGS (-9½) at DETROIT LIONS

REID'S PICK TOM'S PICK
The Vikings have been playing solid ball and imposed their will on Chicago last week when it mattered. Gus Frerotte has always been a favorite of mine, and it is hard imagining the Lions containing Adrian Peterson. There is a slight chance that the refs will take tremendous pity on the Lions, and Detroit will finally emerge with its first victory of the season. Technically speaking, there also is a slight chance that I will sprout wings and fly to the moon.

Vikings 31, Lions 10 Vikings 28, Lions 17

WASHINGTON REDSKINS (+5½) at BALTIMORE RAVENS

REID'S PICK TOM'S PICK
Baltimore’s stout defense going against a Washington team that is struggling on offense says the Ravens control this game. It isn’t like Baltimore is without offensive weapons either. Facing the Giants and Ravens on back-to-back weekends is a punishing task, and the faltering Redskins aren't up to it. Washington needs to start practicing its wait-til-next-year speech.

Ravens 21, Redskins 13 Ravens 24, Redskins 17

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (+7) at NEW YORK GIANTS

REID'S PICK TOM'S PICK
A second upset on the schedule. Picking against everything that says the Giants will win this game. They are undefeated at home and the best team in the NFL. But I’m betting on the Eagles having nothing to lose. Donovan McNabb was my MVP pick and while that won’t happen, it doesn’t mean he can’t have two great weeks in a row. The Eagles are rested after playing on Thanksgiving, and their trouncing of Arizona was nearly enough to make people forget about all the rules that Donovan McNabb can't remember. But the Giants are still the Giants, and as long as the remaining N.Y. players remember to put their pistols on "safety," they'll get through this one.

Eagles 28, Giants 24 Giants 24, Eagles 20

ATLANTA FALCONS (+3½) at NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

REID'S PICK TOM'S PICK
Another great game to watch. Drew Brees has done everything he can to put the Saints on his back. Last week they couldn’t close the deal. Should be fun to see the league’s best rookie and one of the favorites for MVP go at it. Saints get hometown bounce. Might be this week's toughest call. Drew Brees will get his yards, but it's the Falcons who seem to be feeling it. And New Orleans might lead the league this season for least amount of magic mustered in the final minutes. My upset special

Saints 31, Falcons 28 Falcons 28, Saints 24

NEW YORK JETS (-3½) at SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

REID'S PICK TOM'S PICK
I would really like to pick the 49ers because I think they could upset the Jets. But Brett Favre is too much of a gamer and the Jets have too much at stake to fumble this chance away. The Jets got a little cocky -- and wobbly -- last week against Denver. The Niners seem a little better after their successful trip to Buffalo. But come on, how often can San Francisco expect to win while scoring 10 points?

Jets 24, 49ers 17 Jets 20, 49ers 17

MIAMI DOLPHINS (+1) at BUFFALO BILLS

REID'S PICK TOM'S PICK
I have never liked warm weather teams traveling late in the season to cold weather sites. But after Buffalo’s performance against the 49ers it is hard to have great faith in them. The Dolphins are a nice surprise this season and the bet here is that they pick up a road win and make the AFC East race a tight one. We've reached that time of year when all residents of Buffalo want to head south for the winter. Echoing that spirit, the Bills have decided to head south in the AFC East standings. And here's a key statistic: All-time, the Dolphins are undefeated in Canada.

Dolphins 24, Bills 21 Dolphins 22, Bills 20

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (+9½) at DENVER BRONCOS

REID'S PICK TOM'S PICK
Kansas City has to be counting the days until the season is over. Denver can all but lock up a weak division. The Chiefs don’t score and they give up a lot of points. A bad combination. The Broncos’ work day should end early. The Broncos owe the Chiefs some payback for the embarrassment they suffered earlier this season at Arrowhead, and their offense appears ready to deliver it.

Broncos 35, Chiefs 14 Broncos 27, Chiefs 20

ST. LOUIS RAMS (+13½) at ARIZONA CARDINALS

REID'S PICK TOM'S PICK
Simply put: The Cardinals need to, should and will win against a 2-10 team that has scored 159 points this season. The only drama in this one will be seeing whether Steven Jackson and Jim Haslett decide to go chin-to-chin before halftime. St. Louis will end the day having firmly established itself as a team that will waste a very high pick in next year's draft.

Cardinals 31, Rams 14 Cardinals 24, Rams 14

DALLAS COWBOYS (+3) at PITTSBURGH STEELERS

REID'S PICK TOM'S PICK
You can argue that Pittsburgh is the best team in the AFC right now and it is almost impossible to score against them. But the Cowboys are a little under-appreciated and are a different team with Tony Romo. I know they are hurting a bit, but this is the third upset pick on the card. This is where the schedule starts to get tough for the Cowboys, and Pittsburgh is showing that it still knows how to swing the metaphorical hammer. Tony Romo and T.O. will be sharing an aspirin bottle on the flight home.

Cowboys 21, Steelers 20 Steelers 31, Cowboys 24

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (-4½) at SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

REID'S PICK TOM'S PICK
The Patriots have a way of making an opponent pay after they get embarrassed. The Steelers treated them like rag dolls last week. The Seahawks will suffer for that. The Patriots need a restful break, and they will get it this week against the Seahawks. Expect token resistance from a Seattle roster that's making plans to watch the Pro Bowl on television.

Patriots 31, Seahawks 12 Patriots 28, Seahawks 24

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS (+3) at CAROLINA PANTHERS

REID'S PICK TOM'S PICK
I’m taking my son Quinn’s advice on this one. Teams in the NFC South are 22-2 at home this year. Looks to be one of the best Monday night games of the season. A shootout that goes to the home team.

This is a bit of a mirror-image game, but you can't help but love the Panthers at home. The Bucs' defense pulled out the game against the Saints, but Carolina isn't going to be in a position where it has to gamble and throw late.
Panthers 31, Bucs 30 Panthers 24, Bucs 20
Source: USA Today

I'll take the Colts, Titans and the Patriots.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'll take the Cowboys over the Steelers. and :shock: Seahawks beat the Patriots (hey I can dream, right?).
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

NFL Point Spreads For Week 15 - 12/11 - 12/15, 2008

12/11 8:15 ET At Chicago -3 New Orleans
12/14 1:00 ET Green Bay -2 At Jacksonville
12/14 1:00 ET At Indianapolis -17 Detroit
12/14 1:00 ET Washington -7 At Cincinnati
12/14 1:00 ET At Atlanta -3 Tampa Bay
12/14 1:00 ET At Miami -6.5 San Francisco
12/14 1:00 ET Seattle -3 At St. Louis
12/14 1:00 ET At NY Jets -7.5 Buffalo
12/14 1:00 ET Tennessee -3 At Houston
12/14 4:15 ET At Baltimore -2.5 Pittsburgh
12/14 4:15 ET At Carolina -7.5 Denver
12/14 1:00 ET San Diego -5.5 At Kansas City
12/14 4:05 ET At Arizona -3 Minnesota
12/14 4:15 ET New England -7 At Oakland
12/14 8:15 ET At Dallas -3 NY Giants

12/15 8:35 ET At Philadelphia -14 Cleveland

I will take the Giants, Bucs and Steelers to beat the spread.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I think the Steelers have some kind of Midas touch. I won't be at all surprised if they win again this week.

I think the Cowboys will be chomping at the bit, they want to win BAD after choking last week, so I'll take them.

I've used this term before this season but I'll take the Seahawks in the basement bowl! What a way for Holmgren to take a siesta from Coaching. There is NO WAY he's gonna let this be it (I know, he's definately done in Seattle), but it sounds like his wife gets a vote too!
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

I like Washington, Tampa Bay, And Tennessee to cover this week.

Don't know how the Cowboys can be 3 point favs, even at home.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
CartWheelFan
All Star

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:I like Washington, Tampa Bay, And Tennessee to cover this week.

Don't know how the Cowboys can be 3 point favs, even at home.
Much as I like the Bucs, this one isn't looking like a good bet. No NFC South team has won a division game on the road this year, and Garcia will be playing hurt if at all (not that you'd hear him complain or make excuses)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

NFL Point Spreads For Week 16 - 12/21 - 12/22, 2008

12/21 1:00 ET Pittsburgh -3 At Tennessee
12/21 1:00 ET Miami -3 At Kansas City
12/21 1:00 ET At New England -8 Arizona
12/21 1:00 ET At Cleveland -2.5 Cincinnati
12/21 4:15 ET Philadelphia -5.5 At Washington
12/21 1:00 ET San Francisco -3.5 At St. Louis
12/21 4:15 ET At Minnesota -3 Atlanta
12/21 1:00 ET New Orleans -7 At Detroit
12/21 8:15 ET At NY Giants -3.5 Carolina
12/21 4:05 ET NY Jets -3.5 At Seattle
12/21 4:05 ET Houston -7 At Oakland
12/21 4:05 ET At Denver -4.5 Buffalo
12/21 1:00 ET At Tampa Bay -4 San Diego

12/22 8:35 ET At Chicago -4 Green Bay
Had the Colts and Ravens, so far.

Used to be a Cowboys fan when Tom Landry and, later, Jimmy Johnson and Bobby Ackles were there. Roger Staubach is one of my all time favourite players.

Nice victory for the Ravens in the farewell game for Texas Stadium. Why does it have an opening in the roof, someone might ask. They answer: "So God can watch his favourite team." It still looks like a good venue. The new billion dollar stadium will be something to see.

Not a Jerry Jones fan. He is all about his own ego, and he doesn't acknowedge that Bill Parcells rescued his team from mediocrity, into which it is now returning. Jerry Jones is a great businessman, but he has a mistaken notion that he is a good GM.

For Sunday, I have three hard hat teams: the Steelers, the Giants and the Eagles.
Tighthead
Legend

WCJ, did you like the Cowboys after Ackles left and they were winning Superbowls?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:WCJ, did you like the Cowboys after Ackles left and they were winning Superbowls?

Tighthead, I never liked Jerry Jones much. But as long as Johnson and Ackles were there, I enjoyed watching them play, and even rooted for them.

I lost interest when Barry Switzter was coaching, even though their talent took them to the championship. Chan Gailey, Dave Campo. Nada.

When Parcells took over coaching and much of the personnel authority, I really enjoyed watching his press conferences after each practice. They were interesting, and often hilarious, even though he was usually very crabby with the reporters. He did not seem to like the decision to bring in Terrell Owens. He would not even call him by name. When he had to talk about him, he would call him: "the player." My suspicion is that bringing in TO was the beginning of the end of Parcells commitment to the team.

All of this, of course, is just IMHO.

I have to admit though that Jerry Jones has taken the business side of the Cowboys even beyond what it was when it was owned by Clint Murchison and run by Tex Schramm, and coached by Tom Landry.
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tighthead
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tighthead wrote:WCJ, did you like the Cowboys after Ackles left and they were winning Superbowls?

Tighthead, I never liked Jerry Jones much. But as long as Johnson and Ackles were there, I enjoyed watching them play, and even rooted for them.

They never won any Superbowls with Ackles, which is why I asked. Did you root for them during the two Johnson titles?