Getting Ready For The Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Reider
Starter

TheLionKing wrote:
Blitz wrote: However, Dominguez will not play and that's a very big receiver out of their lineup.
Why ? Is he injured again ?
(A seemingly) healthy scratch. They're going with a young cement hands in Bowman.
DJ Flick is another seemingly healthy scratch. Who knows what's really going on with these decisions. Usually the truth is somewhere in the middle.
Last edited by Reider on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ziggy
Legend

I'm curious what everyone else thinks about this. It seems to me our Blitz , when we send it, often seems to come right up the middle and is contained by the O line. Thinking back to the last couple of games ,when we brought pressure, it seemed our Blitzers were all tied up in tight, in the middle, in a virtual traffic jam. Do we need to come off the edge more? Do we need to spread their D to allow our guys a better chance to get through?
bclions16
Champion

Blitz wrote: As for the players only meeting lion 16 and lion guy...you're correct...one should be cautious at taking anything at face value (or Lionbackers post value :wink:) However, as I've said before...you can choose to believe what I post or not and if you don't I respect that. However, if you are interested in placing a bet as to whether I'm misinformed or not...we can both send a cheque to Rammer with the value at your choosing and if I can't prove it you get to keep the money I sent plus your money back. :thup:
Well, we have two people saying two different things.

On one hand there is Blitz, saying a players only meeting took place. Blitz' real name and address are unknown to me and to most others I presume. While a knowledgeable football guy, he doesn't work for the Lions and won't say or even allude to how he knows this "inside" info, most often just stating an item as fact without even saying it's from a source. When pressed we're only assured it's true without explanation.

On the other hand we have Jason Jiménez saying the meeting didn't take place. Jason gets credibility points for the obvious reason, and additionally he's a good contributor here on a variety of subjects (even though he appears to be a bigger Obama fan than I am :beer: ).

This is a call that easily stands on the current information; no players only meeting happened. We can only conclude JJ is stating a fact, and that Blitz is honestly misinformed. What else could be think?

I'm not really interesting in betting, but I'll accept your bet since you didn't say anything about non-disclosure of the proof.
Last edited by bclions16 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:I'm curious what everyone else thinks about this. It seems to me our Blitz , when we send it, often seems to come right up the middle and is contained by the O line. Thinking back to the last couple of games ,when we brought pressure, it seemed our Blitzers were all tied up in tight, in the middle, in a virtual traffic jam. Do we need to come off the edge more? Do we need to spread their D to allow our guys a better chance to get through?
I think we need to come from every which direction to confuse their quarterback. Halfback blitz, corner, saftey blitz etc.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:As for our defense I'm feeling confident we'll play a good game in Regina. We led in sacks, in interceptions and in fewest first downs allowed this season. Our problem on defense this year is that we gave up more big plays than llast year (We gave up 85 plays in which our defense either gave up a pass play of over 25 yards or a running play of over 15 yards. Our big problem was when we went up against the three elite quarterbacks of the league...Anthony Cavillo, Ricky Ray, and Henry Burris.

We were 3-6 in games against those quarterbacks with our defense averaging giving up 32 points a game in those 9 games. However, we were much better against other teams. Bishop is not in the same league as those three quarterbacks and that provides a lot of hope that our defense will play well against the Riders. I'm not as optomistic if we end up playing Calgary but let's take it one game at a time and hope, that if we beat Regina..Henry Burris will be a little rusty and out of sync early.

In Regina we have to keep Bishop in the pocket and limit any big plays. If we can do that...we have a great chance of winning!!
I agree. The Michael Bishop factor is huge in this game. Bishop is 0-for his lifetime against the Lions as a starter. That's not a guarantee that Bishop will lose; Kerry Joseph had a similar record against the Lions until he broke the jinx in Regina. But Bishop has had more trouble against B.C. than against any other team. He's thrown 1 TD pass and 5 INTs against B.C. since becoming a starter in Toronto last year, then moving to Saskatchewan this year.

The tone for this game will be set early. If the B.C. defence has some early success against Bishop, it can snowball.
Rammer
Team Captain

Bishop actually played his first game against the Lions and buried us with his arm/legs. That said, since then it has been a different story. Also of interest is the Washington move where he was suggesting that the D needn't put in disguises for Bishop, he wasn't reading the straight up D, let alone any disguises. Bishop is going to hurt you if you let him, get after him and watch for the deep toss, it is Baron Miles time for this game, IMO.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
ziggy wrote:I'm curious what everyone else thinks about this. It seems to me our Blitz , when we send it, often seems to come right up the middle and is contained by the O line. Thinking back to the last couple of games ,when we brought pressure, it seemed our Blitzers were all tied up in tight, in the middle, in a virtual traffic jam. Do we need to come off the edge more? Do we need to spread their D to allow our guys a better chance to get through?
I think we need to come from every which direction to confuse their quarterback. Halfback blitz, corner, saftey blitz etc.
Sometimes it's better to get into a quarterback's face up the middle (for example, it's how I would come at Buck Pierce if I was Saskatchewan. However, playing against Bishop, I would bring the blitz from the edge against Bishop, especially from the left side of our defence..because Bishop loves to roll right and throw. The players sat down amongst themselves before the first practice this week and aired out the issues of their 41-30 loss to Calgary....perhaps Jason's all-star season didn't make him an issue. :wink:

Obviously, defensively, we need to keep Bishop in the pocket, control Wes Cates, and not allow Dressler any big plays. Offensively, we'll have to take advantage of how Richie Hall is going to play us. He'll mix it up but he won't play us straight up. An early lead would be huge in taking the crowd out of the game. In game adjustments will be crucial, both offensively and defensively. This is a game that Otis Floyd, who will usually play on the side that Bishop will roll out on, needs to bring his A plus game.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Yeah I see that Zig, like in the case of Brent Johnson who always seems to get stopped dead usually double manned going up the middle beside Hunt, but if he'd just do a stop and roll-off around the outside and go again, like he used to when he was the monster he was a couple of years back, I swear we see the old Brent back again.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Blitz, you posted this earlier in the thread.

As for the players only meeting lion 16 and lion guy...you're correct...one should be cautious at taking anything at face value (or Lionbackers post value :wink:) However, as I've said before...you can choose to believe what I post or not and if you don't I respect that. However, if you are interested in placing a bet as to whether I'm misinformed or not...we can both send a cheque to Rammer with the value at your choosing and if I can't prove it you get to keep the money I sent plus your money back. :thup:

Blitz, it is not a matter of chosing to believe you; it is a matter of credibility. For most of us here this is a place for opinion. But when someone sets themselves up as the "football guru" that writes page after page after page of information intended to display their intimate insider knowledge and football prowess that person's credibility is far more susceptible to public scrutiny.

Fact: You stated the players had a player's only meeting. From that people formed opinion and discussion ensued.

Fact: A BC Lion came on tis board and stated that they in fact did NOT have a players only meeting.

Result: People here took what you stated as being true, based on your previous record of posts claiming to have insider knowledge as BCLions16 pointed out. That is dangerous as people now may have spouted off their opinion of this meeting based on your "fact". As a result they will now, and rightfully so, potentially question these types of comments you make without an appropriate source attached to them.

You can't just brush this off with a "you can choose to believe me of not". Either prove us wrong, or man up and state that you shouldn't have stated what you did as fact.
zark
Champion

Quote ; unknown

We're not here to build manhood or character, we' re here to win a football game.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
bclions16
Champion

JohnHenry wrote: 50% of what you read in newspapers and 90% of what you read on the internet is b.s.
Very true, but when a BC Lion comes on here under his own name to correct a statement another poster made, I rightly take notice. That has a credibility far beyond anything a Lionbacker regurgitates from some "source".
Last edited by bclions16 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm much more interested in focusing on the Semi-Final game in Regina this weekend. However, it's obvious that there is some bad feelings toward me from lion guy...as his comment reflects:

"But when someone sets themselves up as the "football guru" that writes page after page after page of information intended to display their intimate insider knowledge and football prowess that person's credibility is far more susceptible to public scrutiny."

I dont' see myself as a football geru but it appears that you see myself setting myself up that way and resent it. I don't write posts to display an intimate 'insider' knowlege. Most of what I write are just my opinions or thoughts. Once in a blue moon I'll share something that may not be printed in a newspaper but that is very rare.

I will stand by my words that our Leos discussed the Calgary game and it's issues on their own before their first practice this week. However, since at this moment in time, I cannot share the source of that information I will just have to 'man up' as lion guy has asked me to and say that I can't prove it right now so I have misinformed you and you should not believe it. I hope this will put the issue at rest so the rest of you can focus on the Riders game.

Certainly, lionguy's post makes me question what I am doing on this board. Perhaps I have not seen myself accurately. Perhaps, instead of being viewed as someone who just wanted to talk football and share thoughts....I am being viewed differently than that and there is resentment towards me. It feels that way in reading lionguy and bclions16 posts. Perhaps I need to step back....and I'll do that. Enjoy the game on Saturday and I hope we can turn this disappointing third place finish into something postive in the playoffs.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
I will stand by my words that our Leos discussed the Calgary game and it's issues on their own before their first practice this week. However, since at this moment in time, I cannot share the source of that information I will just have to 'man up' as lion guy has asked me to and say that I can't prove it right now so I have misinformed you and you should not believe it. I hope this will put the issue at rest so the rest of you can focus on the Riders game.

Certainly, lionguy's post makes me question what I am doing on this board. Perhaps I have not seen myself accurately. Perhaps, instead of being viewed as someone who just wanted to talk football and share thoughts....I am being viewed differently than that and there is resentment towards me. It feels that way in reading lionguy and bclions16 posts. Perhaps I need to step back....and I'll do that. Enjoy the game on Saturday and I hope we can turn this disappointing third place finish into something postive in the playoffs.

Of course they discussed it. They probably discussed it on the plane ride home as well. But stating that a player's only team meeting was held is misleading, and as pointed out by Jason Jiminez, simply not true.

I have no resentment towards you, but when opinions such as yours on subjects like Cahpdelaine, Simon, Dickenson, Printers etc state fact and can only be interpreted as insider information you need to provide a source, or proof. That is message board etiquette.

Either way, you either stated a non-fact or betrayed the trust of your inside source on this message board. :wag:
Rammer
Team Captain

Lion Guy wrote:
Blitz wrote:

Of course they discussed it. They probably discussed it on the plane ride home as well. But stating that a player's only team meeting was held is misleading, and as pointed out by Jason Jiminez, simply not true.

I have no resentment towards you, but when opinions such as yours on subjects like Cahpdelaine, Simon, Dickenson, Printers etc state fact and can only be interpreted as insider information you need to provide a source, or proof. That is message board etiquette.

Either way, you either stated a non-fact or betrayed the trust of your inside source on this message board. :wag:
If you had an inside source with the Lions, would you offer that source up? I don't think so, so now if you can just move along and either accept Blitz's post at face value or not. This seems more like a witch hunt that won't satisfy anyone 100%. Time to move along, IMO.
Entertainment value = an all time low