Ron Lancaster passed away this morning.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion_Pride_26
Legend

I was so shocked when I heard the news this morning. RIP Ron, my thoughts and prayers go out to his entire family.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

I can barely remember Ron in his rookie year splitting the duties with Russ Jackson in Ottawa when they won the GC in 1960 that year, but I do remember him as a Rider before being traded, and the beginnings of the most spirited and storied rivalry between the Roughies and Ticats which dominated the eastern conference for a decade.

In Saskatchewan Ronnie, George Reed and yes... Hughie Campbell were virtually a machine in winning against their namesakes 29-14 in the 1966 GC.

Winning the GC twice more as head coach of the Eskimos in 1993 and again with Hamilton in 1999.

Ron goes out of this game and this life a legend, a winner and a warrior who remains among an elite few who both played and coached at an exceptionally high level.

Condolences to all the Lancaster family.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Darn, what a sad year. Thanks for the memories, Lancaster.
Bosco
Team Captain

Nice tribute by Rod Pedersen of the Riders broadcast crew: :thup:

http://www.cfl.ca/article/pedersen-ride ... ts-general
lion rampant
prospect

Such sad news. Thank you Ron for helping to make the CFL what it is today.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

it was 1966, I was 11, Ron was 28. We both had most of our lives ahead of us.

It was just yesterday

just yesterday...
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

My favourite quote from Mr. Lancaster came from the CFL Traditions DVD:
Ron Lancaster wrote:It's the one thing, the one professional sport that we have and can say is purely Canadian. It's the only one.
Real women wear orange!!
tigger
All Star

RIP General

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BECOME ARGO FANS
Vern Halen
Champion

According to the radio here, the Riders will have a tribute (video?) and a moment of silence before the game, as well as wearing their retro jerseys to honour the Little General. In addition, they'll have #23 stickers on their helmets and there are plans for "special field markings" - whatever that means. There's rumour that they may have a 23 yard stripe at each end - a little unorthodox but still kinda neat.

I was quite distraught today; it was tough being at work - it's a sad day for Rider fans, and fans of the CFL.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Life is sure throwing curves at the CFL this year!

The man was intelligent, well spoken, a competitor and in all ways that count a man to be admired and emulated.

He has "handed off" so much to so many. My condolences to us all. We are a lot poorer today.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

wow, I've been traveling for 2 days and just heard the news. Watching him play when I was a young kid is why the Riders remain my #2 team to this day. R.I.P. Ron Lancaster.

what a tough year for CFL icons.
Lady_Lioness

RIP Ron. This is truly a sad day for the entire league :bawl:
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Remember how Ronnie used to talk about how the heavy humid air in the summertime would effect how a punt or a kickoff would effect the ball and the way it was returned?

He always understood the physics of the ball!

Used to make the late Don Whitman, with his overgrown wispy eyebrows rib Ron as a broadcaster...

God rest them both.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I am sadden to learn the passing of the Little General. My first CFL game was between the Lions and the Riders at Empire Stadium. The Lions had to win to keep their faint playoff hopes alive. On the first play from scrimmage Lancaster faked to George Reed up the middle then bootleg to the right and threw a touchdown pass to Gordie Barwell. Lancaster broke the Lions' hearts that afternoon as he often did to opposing teams in his illustrious career. He will be missed. My condolences to his family and friend.
Last edited by TheLionKing on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Vern Halen wrote:According to the radio here, the Riders will have a tribute (video?) and a moment of silence before the game, as well as wearing their retro jerseys to honour the Little General. In addition, they'll have #23 stickers on their helmets and there are plans for "special field markings" - whatever that means. There's rumour that they may have a 23 yard stripe at each end - a little unorthodox but still kinda neat.
Markings for the 23 yard line would be a nice touch; I remember the Argos did the same thing in honour of Pinball Clemons (31 in his case) when he retired midway through the 2000 season.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.