No Public Mention Of Geroy's Catch...Disappointing

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I was completely blown away that the Lions did absolutely nothing to honor Geroy Simon tonight. I remember being at the game where Mike Pringle set his record and the game was stopped and a brief, but classy, tribute was done and then the game got going again. I found it to be pretty disrespectful that there wasn't more said about something as important as Geroy's record setting catch tonight. Sure, they made a couple of brief announcements during pre-game about Geroy only needing 4 more yards, and when he got them, the crowd responded with an immediate standing ovation as Geroy was congratulated by his teammates. I saw the ball get tossed to the sidelines but that was it, back in the huddle, run the next play. I thought to myself, "well, maybe they'll say something at halftime." Then, "well, maybe they'll do something after the game." I think it was a missed opportunity on the Lions part to not do this justice. It was however killer to see Geroy come out of the tunnel with the #30 on his chest and very cool to see Jim Young on the sidelines with a Simon t-shirt on. I got a kick out of both of those moments.
Shaggy
Starter

They did post an announcement on the big screen as soon as he made the catch, in conjunction with the PA announcement.
Honestly, I'd rather they carry on with a drive and put it in the end zone for 6 rather than have a ceremony.

If it disrupts an opposition drive, like with Pringle for example, fine ( and I believe Pringle's record was a league record, not just a team record )
but when the Lions have the ball, let's carry on and score. We've known about the record coming, it was a sure thing actually ( 4 yards was such a gimme. )
It's not like the last game of the season last year where Geroy rolled up big yardage to come from behind and win the receiving title.

They showed the stats, showed Jim Young on the sideline, and carried on with the play. Worked for me.

BTW, congrats Geroy!! Well done!!
David
Team Captain

I couldn't agree with you more No Ordinary Joe. I didn't expect them to necessarily stop the game and have a big, protracted on-field ceremony (Mike Pringle broke a league rushing record - that's a little different), but something on the sideline during the first TV time out would have been fitting. Perhaps a photo op handshake between Jim and Geroy holding the football, a framed picture or plaque presented to Geroy from Mr. Braley.....SOMETHING!!

It was a significant achievement that's going to stand for many years to come and everyone in the building knew it. The crowd was jacked, but the club just let the event slip away. Lame. :thdn:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

There was a fair deal made of it on the TSN broadcast, if that counts for anything.
Scorp1074

Mike Pringle – set a CFL record - hence the NATIONAL broadcast on TSN was stopped and recognized

Damon Allen – SET the ALL TIME CFL RECORD - hence the NATIONAL telecast on TSN was stopped and recognized

You cannot stop a national broadcast for a TEAM record

thats why as No Ordinary Joe said is was great that the LIONS did this:
"It was however killer to see Geroy come out of the tunnel with the #30 on his chest and very cool to see Jim Young on the sidelines with a Simon t-shirt on. I got a kick out of both of those moments."
joesports
All Star

Congrats Geroy! :s:

I'm a little disappointed that they did not do anything for him breaking the record. I would have expected them to do it during a commercial break as we seemed to have enough of them. Maybe they will do something more formal next game.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

You are making a bigger deal out of this than needed. I have seen many times when a player sets a TEAM record where it is only acknowledged on the PA and big screen and the crowd applauds. Thats is normal for a team record. Obviously you cannot compare a league all time rushing or passing record with a team yardage record. He is nowhere near a league record, so the game does not need to be stopped. Outta curiosity, do they stop Canucks games when Naslund or whoever sets a Canucks record?
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Honour Dewalt wrote:You are making a bigger deal out of this than needed. I have seen many times when a player sets a TEAM record where it is only acknowledged on the PA and big screen and the crowd applauds. Thats is normal for a team record. Obviously you cannot compare a league all time rushing or passing record with a team yardage record. He is nowhere near a league record, so the game does not need to be stopped. Outta curiosity, do they stop Canucks games when Naslund or whoever sets a Canucks record?
They didn't when Hank broke the team assists-in-a-season record a couple years ago. They put an extra flourish on his name when they announced the goal and assists (you know, along the lines of, "Goal scored by so-and-so, assists by whoever, and the NEW LEADER FOR ASSISTS IN A SEASON, #33, HENRIK SEDIN!"), and the crowd gave him a good standing-O, but that was about it. I think he did a quick little skate-around, couple waves to the crowd before the next face-off, but no, they didn't really stop the game for it (I was actually at that game, so no idea how they covered it on TV).
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Honour Dewalt wrote:You are making a bigger deal out of this than needed. I have seen many times when a player sets a TEAM record where it is only acknowledged on the PA and big screen and the crowd applauds. Thats is normal for a team record. Obviously you cannot compare a league all time rushing or passing record with a team yardage record. He is nowhere near a league record, so the game does not need to be stopped. Outta curiosity, do they stop Canucks games when Naslund or whoever sets a Canucks record?
Yeah, this is much ado over nothing. If we're going to stop the game for that — which by the way must surely require the authorisation and possibly the presence of the Commissioner — where do we draw the line on team records? Do we stop the game for the team record in career FGs? Ints? Tackles?

They announced it on the PA and on the screen after his first catch; that was good enough, really. We might see some sort of ceremony involving Simon and Young shortly before the kickoff of the next home game whether live or pretaped on the video screen — something along the lines of what David suggested. That would be nice, but not worth complaining about it if we don't.

If Geroy himself were making these complaints, we'd probably be calling him a jackass.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Like Solar said, TSN made a HUGE deal about it when it happened. Geroy did go over and shake Jim's hand after that series was over. When Geroy broke the record, Jim put on a Geroy t-shirt.

As a TEAM record, sounds to me like they did just the right amount hoopla IMHO.

For the record, those of us watching on TV, didn't get to see Geroy come out in the Jim Young #30 shirt except in a quick montage.

I will bet the Team wanted to make sure he broke the record first and then do something to tribute it at the next home game. Heck, hopefully Geroy's hammy wil be fine and at the NEXT home game they will be honouring him breaking 2 team records - yards receiving and TD'S!
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I don't think you should stop a game for a team record, but I was glad to read in NOJ's post that the crowd reacted with a standing ovation. They didn't mention that fact on radio and was hoping that the crowd would be dialed in enough to do something like that on their own with out prompting from the big screen and PA announcer to get them on their feet. Excellent salute from the fans!

Also when I heard that Geroy came out of the tunnel wearing number 30 I was so jacked! What a classy move!
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

For the record, I never said that I thought the game should have been stopped, I was merely referencing the fact that it was for Mike Pringle. Just because you don't stop the game doesn't mean that you can't find other ways to take advantage of the moment and do something that still recognizes the accomplishment without actually take away from the game itself. David's post highlights that point.

Now, I'll admit that I honestly didn't see anything on Diamondvision, I was too dialed in to what was happening on the field and the congratulations that Geroy was getting from his teammates to notice what was put up there. So, I'm happy to hear that at least some acknowledgment was made which is better than nothing I guess. At least the people there knew what was going on. Curious as to why no mention from Rick Ball though, he usually points out stuff like that in terms of fan responses to various events.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

No Ordinary Joe wrote: Curious as to why no mention from Rick Ball though, he usually points out stuff like that in terms of fan responses to various events.
Unless he did and I just zoned out.? I was working on something else while the game was on... but I heard the catch to set the record loud and clear.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
No Ordinary Joe wrote: Curious as to why no mention from Rick Ball though, he usually points out stuff like that in terms of fan responses to various events.
Unless he did and I just zoned out.? I was working on something else while the game was on... but I heard the catch to set the record loud and clear.
No, you're right. I'm just listening the podcast of the game now and he definitely did not make mention of the ovation.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I too wish they would have done something more during one of the many TV timeouts given they know EXACTLY what time they are coming at during the quarter.

As it was... Geroy broke the record and got the deserved standing ovation from the crowd. It would have lasted much longer but next you know Jarious was going under centre for the next play and crowd came to a hush and sat down.