Is this a snub?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

chimpy wrote:that fihgures, show's were the class of the canucks are.

if they do not acknoledge him i will not whatch another canuck game ever, i mean it too.
Do we really need this comment ? Whether the Canucks or any other sports organization acknowledge Mr. Ackles's passing in no way diminish our loss of our beloved leader. Go back to making your signs. :x
Tighthead
Legend

Maybe some condolences are being offered in private? Isn't that how most of us operate?

Posting something on your website serves two purposes: offering condolences and letting everyone know you offered condolences. There is a self-serving element to the second purpose.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In these kinds of situations, it may not be very good to compare. But that's inevitable when something like this happens.

Do you recall when Annis Stukus left us on May 20, 2006, did the other local teams acknowledge him? I remember that the CFL and the other teams did.

With Canucks who left us, perhaps the two best examples are Babe Pratt and Frank Griffiths, but that was the days before the internet. Although admittedly he doesn't fall in the same category as Ackles and the Lions, the Whitecaps organization had a great loss when Domenic Mobilio left us on November 13, 2004. But no other web sites acknowledged that. When Murray Pezim died in November 1998, I believe the Lions only mentioned slightly. Of course, that explains why. For an owner who departed them, they may deserved their own medicine.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:Maybe some condolences are being offered in private? Isn't that how most of us operate?

Posting something on your website serves two purposes: offering condolences and letting everyone know you offered condolences. There is a self-serving element to the second purpose.
Then why do callers to radio talk shows, regular everyday people who have likely never met Kay Ackles or her family, feel compelled to offer their condolences?

Why do some people wear black ribbons or black armbands to demonstrate that they are mourning someone?

Why will BC Lions Fans being wearing a Bobby Ackles button, if they do give those away on July 18?

Why do people who have never met Bobby Ackles, or Luc Bourdon, or Greg Moore, or whomever, go to an on-line memorial book and add their message of condolences and give their name, location, and sometimes their email?

Is it self serving to do those things? No. It's about sharing grief, offering support, and letting everyone around you know that you freakin' care! It's not at all self serving.

Did I change my avitar because I want to look good to other Lionbackers? No. I did it because I wanted to do something to honour a great man and let everyone who comes to these boards know that I share their pain.

I would hope that in a community as small as the Vancouver professional sports community that the president or GM of the Canucks has sent a personal and private message to the BC Lions and to the Ackles family. It would only be self serving of the Canucks IF they plastered some insincere message on their website just to make them selves look compassionate, and never actually took the time to privately offer their condolences.

But there are a lot of other people who are mourning Bob Ackles, and one of the best ways for an organization like the Canucks to reach them is through their website. I am a fan of the Canucks and it would make me feel good to see a nice message of condolence on their website. That's why teams should be going public with their condolences. So the rest of us can take a small amount of comfort in knowing that someone else shares what we are going through.

If we "are all Canucks" then that means that means that a lot of "Canucks" are in mourning right now. The Vancouver Canucks should do the right thing. I can't imagine anyone would be accusing them of being self-serving if they were to acknowledge the passing of one of (if not THE) most important people in the history of British Columbia sports.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I'm sure eventually the Canucks will acknowledge Ackles.

Remember that two days after the Lions won the 2006 Grey Cup, the Canucks invited Ackles and nine Lions players to celebrate their championship at a pre-game ceremony.

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Tighthead
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
Tighthead wrote:Maybe some condolences are being offered in private? Isn't that how most of us operate?

Then why do callers to radio talk shows, regular everyday people who have likely never met Kay Ackles or her family, feel compelled to offer their condolences?

Why do some people wear black ribbons or black armbands to demonstrate that they are mourning someone?

Why will BC Lions Fans being wearing a Bobby Ackles button, if they do give those away on July 18?

Why do people who have never met Bobby Ackles, or Luc Bourdon, or Greg Moore, or whomever, go to an on-line memorial book and add their message of condolences and give their name, location, and sometimes their email?

Is it self serving to do those things? No. It's about sharing grief, offering support, and letting everyone around you know that you freakin' care! It's not at all self serving.

Did I change my avitar because I want to look good to other Lionbackers? No. I did it because I wanted to do something to honour a great man and let everyone who comes to these boards know that I share their pain.

I would hope that in a community as small as the Vancouver professional sports community that the president or GM of the Canucks has sent a personal and private message to the BC Lions and to the Ackles family. It would only be self serving of the Canucks IF they plastered some insincere message on their website just to make them selves look compassionate, and never actually took the time to privately offer their condolences.

But there are a lot of other people who are mourning Bob Ackles, and one of the best ways for an organization like the Canucks to reach them is through their website. I am a fan of the Canucks and it would make me feel good to see a nice message of condolence on their website. That's why teams should be going public with their condolences. So the rest of us can take a small amount of comfort in knowing that someone else shares what we are going through.

If we "are all Canucks" then that means that means that a lot of "Canucks" are in mourning right now. The Vancouver Canucks should do the right thing. I can't imagine anyone would be accusing them of being self-serving if they were to acknowledge the passing of one of (if not THE) most important people in the history of British Columbia sports.
How do you know that they have not acknowedged his passing?

Anything that anyone puts on their commercial website is partially self serving in my opinion.

How many teams put a message about Luc Bourdon on their website?

Where did I suggest that people's personal actions as you outline are self-serving?
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:

I don't know if they have acknowledged his passing privately, and I have not accused them on not privately acknowledging it. That's why I said 'I hope they have". But I have seen NO evidence that they have acknowledged it publicly.
Anything that anyone puts on their commercial website is partially self serving in my opinion.
OK. That's your opinion. But I choose to believe that one's motives can still be pure at times. That the Whitecaps, Candians, and Giants paid their respects on their websites because they want to acknowledge Bob Ackles and what he meant to sports in BC. I believe they did it because it's the right thing to do, not because it serves them.
Out of respect for Luc Bourdon, and every other similar tragic loss, I am not going to debate who is worthy of what level of public tribute or make comparisons. But there is no question that Bob Ackles deserving of all the public tribute he is getting.
Where did I suggest that people's personal actions as you outline are self-serving?
You said that "Posting something on your website serves two purposes: offering condolences and letting everyone know you offered condolences. There is a self-serving element to the second purpose." If according to you, letting everyone know you offered condolences is self serving, then there must be a lot of other things we do to express sympathy that must also be self serving.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:I'm sure eventually the Canucks will acknowledge Ackles.

Remember that two days after the Lions won the 2006 Grey Cup, the Canucks invited Ackles and nine Lions players to celebrate their championship at a pre-game ceremony.
Which makes their "radio silence" all that much harder to understand.
Tighthead
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
Tighthead wrote:

I don't know if they have acknowledged his passing privately, and I have not accused them on not privately acknowledging it. That's why I said 'I hope they have". But I have seen NO evidence that they have acknowledged it publicly.
OK. That's your opinion. But I choose to believe that one's motives can still be pure at times. That the Whitecaps, Candians, and Giants paid their respects on their websites because they want to acknowledge Bob Ackles and what he meant to sports in BC. I believe they did it because it's the right thing to do, not because it serves them.
Out of respect for Luc Bourdon, and every other similar tragic loss, I am not going to debate who is worthy of what level of public tribute or make comparisons. But there is no question that Bob Ackles deserving of all the public tribute he is getting.
You said that "Posting something on your website serves two purposes: offering condolences and letting everyone know you offered condolences. There is a self-serving element to the second purpose." If according to you, letting everyone know you offered condolences is self serving, then there must be a lot of other things we do to express sympathy that must also be self serving.
I never equated a corporation putting a public message to a private individual on a commercial website to the actions of private individuals. There is a significant distinction.

I don't see anything self serving about talking about Ackles, remembering him, expressing grief or calling talk shows. I also don't see why condolences can't be expressed in a private and meaningful way.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote: I never equated a corporation putting a public message to a private individual on a commercial website to the actions of private individuals. There is a significant distinction.

I don't see anything self serving about talking about Ackles, remembering him, expressing grief or calling talk shows. I also don't see why condolences can't be expressed in a private and meaningful way.
OK, then I WILL equate a corporate public message of condolence on a website to public displays of sympathy by private individuals. And there should be NO significant distinction. Both should be accepted as genuine and sincere. And neither should be considered self serving.

As I have said twice already, but let me say it again to make sure I am clear.... a private expression of condolence should be offered from the Canucks to the Ackles family and the BC Lions organization. Mayve that's already been done, I don't know. And frankly I don't need to know. That's why it's called private.

But for an organization like the Canucks who exists almost completely in the public spotlight, they should realize that they have a responsibility to do something publicly as well. It doesn't have to be much, just a small graphic on their website, or a statement to the press would be enough to let us know they care. Because right now their lack of action makes it look like they don't.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:To truly honour the class of Bobby Ackles we should try and keep this thread for tributes, memories and condolences only.

Nothing would disrespect his memory more than picking apart who did or didn't say something at the time of his passing.
Agreed Toppy. If one of the mods want to move this stuff to a different thread that makes sense to me.
Tighthead
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:To truly honour the class of Bobby Ackles we should try and keep this thread for tributes, memories and condolences only.

Nothing would disrespect his memory more than picking apart who did or didn't say something at the time of his passing.
I just came to this conclusion before I read your post, and it looks like BCL agrees. Not the time or place. Delete or move my posts.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
I'd argue that bringing this up in the first place in this thread disrespects Bob. Continuing to hammer on it is classless and insulting to his memory. Bobby would have been the LAST person to berate another "brother" franchise for the way they do or don't choose to offer condolences.

Start a different thread if you really need to continue this pettiness, but this thread is certainly not the place for it.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Grandmaster C
Starter

:whs:
R.I.P. Bob
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Ladies and gentlemen, I have moved all non Bob related posts to this new thread.

You can discuss recognition or lack thereof here, in order to keep the original thread for its original purpose.

SM