2008 SEASON OPENER: Lions/Stamps Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lion24
Legend

No Ordinary Joe wrote:I think now that Murph has some game action under his belt he'll be better in the 2nd half. I think part of the reason for playing him tonight is that if he didn't play and then has to leave to be with his wife, we could be looking at a Rob Murphy in mid-July who hasn't had any kind of action at all. I'll take a few missteps in Game 1, then having him come in completely cold in Game 4.
The only thing is we may have lost Pierce because of his rustiness :sigh:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
lion24
Legend

Leo_on_Rideau wrote:Ineffective tackling, paper-thin offensive line... I remember these Lions! The 1954-2003 variety! :bang:

It was really just an inevitability that Buck would be injured with the way the Stamps were crossing scrimmage with impunity. Then Jarious looks cold as ice when he gets in.

Nice to get the late-half strike, but, man, was that a sorry display apart from that.
I thought I was being tough on the Lions :lol: There were a few good years in there 1985, 1994, 2000
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Larry Key wrote:
lion24 wrote:Lucky to be in the game at all and now with injuries to Clermont and Pierce it makes it more tough. I don't understand the 59 yrd field goal attempt as that could have easily been brought out for a TD. Looks like missing camp has affected Murphy as you need to have some kind of contact before starting the season. He is obviously one of the best but to come in cold is pretty tough. The defence has really got to get together, this is a veteran group that should be playing much better.
That shot to Clermont's head by Browner was almost dirty. JC was having troubles walking to the sidelines. :wag:
I thought it was dirty too when I first saw it. But, I'll need to see it again. I didn't get a good enough look at it.
Disturber
Champion

:bang:
Murphy's head clearly isnt' in the game. I know he's an expecting father, and I'll be among the first to congratulate him when his wife gives birth, but his inattention to detail may have cost Buck Pierce a good part of this season.

I'm glad the D finally woke up. I've been cursing my TV all first half.
Go Lions!
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

No Ordinary Joe wrote:
Larry Key wrote:
lion24 wrote:Lucky to be in the game at all and now with injuries to Clermont and Pierce it makes it more tough. I don't understand the 59 yrd field goal attempt as that could have easily been brought out for a TD. Looks like missing camp has affected Murphy as you need to have some kind of contact before starting the season. He is obviously one of the best but to come in cold is pretty tough. The defence has really got to get together, this is a veteran group that should be playing much better.
That shot to Clermont's head by Browner was almost dirty. JC was having troubles walking to the sidelines. :wag:
I thought it was dirty too when I first saw it. But, I'll need to see it again. I didn't get a good enough look at it.
It wasn't a full H to H hit, it was a glancing blow. Watch JC wince. Browner is a big boy playing the corner, 6'-4, 220 pounds.
lion24
Legend

Disturber wrote::bang:
Murphy's head clearly isnt' in the game. I know he's an expecting father, and I'll be among the first to congratulate him when his wife gives birth, but his inattention to detail may have cost Buck Pierce a good part of this season.

I'm glad the D finally woke up. I've been cursing my TV all first half.
I feel ya :whs:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Chris Shultz on TSN said what I was thinking - that is a good a Henry Burris as I have ever seen - Shultz said it was the best Burris he has ever seen.

We may be jumping the gun on extent of injuries here. Both BP and JC played after their big hits.

Calgary are a very good team and this new coach is like Kent Austin - a guy you don't want on your case if you like your job. This is their home opener and the Lions are still in this game despite being not sharp on D or special teams and some not great field position.

I am not sure Pierce is done at all. Banged up yes, but not done.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Awesome way to start the 2nd half! Way to go, Ian!
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

OK, the rain has stopped here so I can move from the living room to my usual spot in the hammock. Hopefully that will change the luck in the second half.
Disturber
Champion

Oh well, a point's a point
Go Lions!
.G.
All Star

Apperently the D forgot what they did at the end of the first half...

edit: Atleast they held them to a FG try

edit edit: Wow that was fortunate. Get with it offense and tie this up!
Last edited by .G. on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MABEY!
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Wake, Javie and Otis ALL miss that easy sack. :bawl:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Javy Glatt - What kind of tackle is that??? Yikes. Burris would have been down at the 43 instead they get to miss a FG at the 32.

Right now the opportunity is to shift the pressure to the Stamps as they haven't taken that much advantage of BCs poor play and BC is right in right in this 18 to 11
Don't agree with the QB change/ 8/11 and 153 yards and td
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

this is our chance take it and put 6 on the board
2012 Season Ticket Holder
.G.
All Star

They clearly missed the memo.

Why oh why did BP have to get hurt, he was in the zone.
MABEY!