The Last Word

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Jason Jiménez
Rookie

Hello one and all. This is Jason Jiménez, RT for the BC Lions football club. I've come on here as a courtesy to state my side of the arbitration story and to put to rest any and all rumors, conjecture, speculation and nonsense surrounding the events on and after November 3, 2007.

Many of you may recall that I was involved in a three car accident prior to the game vs. Calgary. The first, and hopefully last, car accident of my life. For those of you who did not know, now you do. I sustained a deep contusion on my right leg, which immediately swelled and remained that way into the new year. You may also remember that two other offensive linemen were not playing that evening either. Had I elected to sit out for that last game, three out of the five starters would've been on the sidelines. As the game wore on in the first half, I noticed that my leg was bothering me a lot. I had only executed one cut block the entire half and I knew when I got up that that one cut block would be my only one of the game. I had every intention of talking things over with Dan at half time to see if we could get one of the younger guys in to replace me. As we all know, it never got that far.

Play # 81

It was a pass play completed on the right side of the field for a minimal gain. When the ball was thrown, I turned to cover to the ball. Covering to the ball means to pursue to the ball and help out the receiver if possible. As I finished my blocking assignment on #92 Anthony Gargiulo, he turned to cover to the ball, as did I. I started to run towards the receiver when I felt that I had gotten brushed in the shoulder pad region, ever so slightly as I ran. Whom exactly? I'm not sure. I didn't stop to get the guy's jersey number for future clarifcation as I ran toward the ball. This caused me to run for a few yards off balance. I succumbed to the pain in my leg as I ran foward awkwardly. As a result, I fell into the back of Anthony Gargiulo's legs. That's it.

That night, I called both Anthony and Tom Higgins. I spoke briefly with both player and coach and expressed to them that my actions were accidental and unintentional and that I was sorry for what happened. I apologized for the breaking Anthony's leg. This, like many other points, got misconstrued in the days following the game. (Is it any wonder why I kept quiet?) The next day, Tom Higgins publicly denounced my actions and reproached me w/o giving any mention to the fact that I had contacted him at 11:30pm to apologize. Some will try and say that I did this because I might have felt that I was going to get suspended. Wrong. I didn't know anything about any additional punishment from the league until the following day when i spoke with Wally. I thought that the 25 yard penalty and ejection was going to be the end of it.

I realize that it probably looked intentional from the vantage point of the referee (AND whichever of my teammates that might have called my fall 'dirty', 'cheap', etc.). He maintained that it was deliberate; that I 'launched' myself into the back of Anthony Gargiulo's legs. Nothing could be further from the truth. It was not deliberate. First off, I'm well versed on how to perform a cut block. I'm quite good at doing them. They're fun. For all of you that have seen me cut block, you've never ever seen me 'launch' myself when executing a cut block. Secondly, I would never take a penalty on a mean-nothing game to try and cut block a player who's back was towards me. A defender's back is off limits from intentional contact since he has no recourse to protect himself. Lastly, it doesn't take a physicist to realize that a large mass (me) x speed + being off balance is going to = a bad outcome. Interestingly enough, the referee stated that had the same action occurred to one of my own teammates, ("friendly fire") a penalty flag would not have been thrown. It would've been deemed an accident. Play ball. Is it really out of the realm of possibilities that if you change the color and last name on the jersey, and the same thing happens, it's going to be okay if it happened to my own guy, but not the opponent? That's asinine.

However you want to slice it, accidents, unfortunately, are part of the game. What happened on November 3, 2007 was an accident. I've never been flagged in my life for clipping, rough play or illegal contact. I've also never been ejected from a game. I do play hard and aggressive, no question. It's what had redefined our offensive line and the team as a whole. I attempt to play at a level that my opponents are often unable or unwilling to match. At my arbitration hearing, Jim Daley stated that he felt that I was the best RT in the CFL. I agree.

Football is my present career. I take what I do seriously. We football players depend on our bodies to peform our duties. I would never intend to harm another player. I understand the risks and consequences involved. ALL players do. I respect my opponents the same way I respect my teammates.

I feel terrible for what happened to Anthony. Here is a player who never really said much, if anything on the field, played his assignments and did his job as best he could. Now, he's not playing because of me. I'm pleased to report that he's already doing light aerobic activity and gym workouts. He was present at my arbitration hearing and walking around just fine.

Arbitration

There are many aspects about the case that I'm unable to share with you all -- Solicitor-Client privilege and all. Here's what I may share: First off, the arbitrator is an associate chief justice Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta. Not exactly 'brain-dead' as one guy on here has suggested.
Secondly, at its crux, it becomes my word vs. somebody elses and the credibility of my answers. In the end, my answers prevailed. The process took care of itself. Many questions have been raised as to the length of the arbitration process. There are several reasons why it took so long, the main two being schedule conflicts of all parties involved, and logistics issues.

I'm glad that this issue has been put to rest. As I've said in the past, you all are free to draw your own conclusions. I'll end by saying thank you to all of you that have supported me and not been quick to jump to conclusions and make hasty, knee-jerk reaction, judgment calls. For the rest of you, well, you're free to think what you want...

Jason
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

hi jason, welcome to lionbackers! hope everything is put to rest now as you can move on and have another great season!! I agree you are the best in the league along with the rest of the o-line. You guys never get the full credit you deserve. NO team will win without a great o-line. You guys are the most important players as your play normally MAKES THE DIFFERENCE IN EVERY GAME!

good luck this season
rick
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hi Jason

I'm glad this has been resolved, and that you have been exonerated. You have been a most valuable member of the Lions, and one can only imagine how difficult this slow process must have been for you. I am also glad that you can finally give your side of the events. I was unaware of your leg problems in that game, and it is good to know that you contacted both Anthony Gargiulo and Tom Higgins after the game.

We fans and followers of football do not have much/any video on which to form our own opinions. I am thankful to Zarquon for posting that video. From the video it is obvious that you and Anthony are, as you say, running upfield, covering to the ball. In that situation, I agree with you that the notion of you attempting a cut block from behind, down the field, in a "mean-nothing game," is beyond likelihood. It also does not fit with your past record of good play and conduct.

We all know the edge with which our O Line now plays. We also know that our O Line has been dealing with comments accusing them of "dirty play." It seems to me that this media perception of our O Line may have contributed unfavorably to your situation.

For my part, the words of the arbitrator, Wally Buono and yourself weigh heavily. In my mind, the situation is resolved. We all wish well to Anthony Gargiulo.

Have a great season, Jason. :thup:

WestCoastJoe
lucky leo
Rookie

Hey, Jason

I'm glad that this has been put to rest, because Im sick of hearing about it. You are a fantastic Lineman. I love the way you play...you and the rest of the line have put fear in defenses...and I love it. Like many lionbackers, we appreciate your side... I dont think all lion fans beleive your hit was intentionally. The news groups ran with the story....and it didn't help that the Stampeder orginaztion went as far as they did. I beleive to this day the only reason they pushed the issue was to get you removed from the western final so they wouldnt have to line up across from you, if they had beat the Roughies.. I cant wait till the season starts......keep playing physical I love watching you play same as with the rest of the O-line.
David
Team Captain

Jason,

I, for one, believe in presumption of innocence. I also know that you're not a cheap football player. Thank you for taking the time to state your position for fans of the B.C. Lions - you're a great writer.

Let's hope all parties can put this behind them and move on.

Best,
David

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Jason

Thank you for coming on this forum and speaking to us directly. Up until today, I had not heard the leg explanation and had on the basis of what was available come to the conclusion that the hit while not an intent to injure, was symptomatic of some zeal gone wrong. Having heard what you have said casts an entirely new light on things for me and I a man enough to one up and say that I have wrongly drawn conclusions about the whole incident. I apologize to you for having done so.

As for why the process took so long. I appreciate that explanation as well although it doesn't change my opinion that it took entirely too long for this process to work itself through. The football public at large would have benefited much more if this information had come to light months ago. The additional time has only led more and unnecessary fabrications, versions of the events that night and general animosities. I hope that yourself and other players as well will be talking with your Players Association about that in times to come and that both they and the league will work hard to find an arrangement that is not only fair, but looks fair as well.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

Welcome to the site Jason!! thanks for speaking to us
2012 Season Ticket Holder
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Thank you Jason for posting an explanation of the incident. It's mind-boggling that hardly anyone saw the play, yet so many people drew their own conclusions about what happened and how it happened. Best of luck with the new season.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Wow, Jason, I bet you've had that post sitting on ice for quite some time, waiting until legal proceedings were done so you'd be allowed to post it. Glad it worked out for you! :beauty:

I look forward to seeing both you and Gargiulo back in action this year!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
derekp
prospect

Jason,

I've met you and your wonderful wife and I know you to be a gentleman and very humble. You were nothing less than gracious with me, my wife and my children. In that short time with you, I was very impressed with your character and when the incident happened, I told eveyone around me that there was no way you had done anything intentionally, I knew it wasn't in you. I never thought for one moment that there was anything malicious in your game and as I told your wife, I am thrilled that you have been vindicated. I hope Anthony has accepted your apology, the process and the judgement. I also hope that he will be back playing this season and that he will have no issues with his leg. I'm looking forward to another strong season from you and hope you will be here for many more stellar seasons. You have an exciting time coming this summer and I hope it will spur you onto greater accomplishments with the Lions and that I'll get to see the Cup back here again. Have a great season and know that there are knowledgable fans out here and we applaud the decision. Best wishes for you and your family!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I'm pleased to report that he's already doing light aerobic activity and gym workouts. He was present at my arbitration hearing and walking around just fine.
At the end of the day, I suppose the fundamental issue, if there is one, is between you and he. If he's good with it, then I would suspect we should all be good with it too, regardless of how it looked on video, or to the ref, or to Wally, or to the fans, or to an arbitrator, no?

Regardless, best wishes to you and your family.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Welcome to Lionbackers Jason. Let's put what happened in the past and concentrate on the future. I love the offensive line's attitude Take No Prisoners and play to the whistle. Now get out and kick some defensive end's butts.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

From where I sat, it looked like you rolled up on him, and I reported as such.

Now, with these facts coming to light (car accident, leg), it provides a plausible reason for the lifting of the suspension.

From a reporter's perspective it would have been useful to find out about the extenuating circumstances after the incident, even when the tape wasn't rolling.

Time to move on. Best of luck with camp and the 2008 season.

-JM
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Jason, you have no idea how much of a relief it is for me as a fan to hear all that. I was shocked (but not surprised) to hear that the ref told you that. I am sure it happens all the time, and that there are biases present. Thank you so much for taking the time to set the record straight. We look forward to seeing you at camp. I'll be wearing my autographed Simply the Best T-shirt with pride. Best of luck, and congratulations with your upcoming new family.
Real women wear orange!!
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

I, for one am mightily impressed with Mr. Jiminez' post and accept it in it's entirety. I was one who had said that if the injury had been intentionally inflicted I would not have wanted to see the player in a Lions uniform again. I can state unequivocally on the basis of both Mr. Jiminez' post and the ruling of the independent arbitrator that I am proud to be a supporter of the BC Lions and Jason Jiminez. :thup: