Breaking news... Lions release Dickenson

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote: I feel one of those 2 should earn the starting spot in camp and then be the starter for the season unless they struggle.
unless they struggle... or gets injured.

Get it?

Seems we agree.
chimpy

Please tell me how there won't be controversy if JJ and Buck split the season 50/50 and both deserve to start come playoffs?

This is what is going to happen.
Spud387
Champion

Lionheart wrote:I'll assume that Jarious gets signed soon and would be happy with him and buck as an (alternating?) one/two punch.:
I am not arguing that we need more than 1 QB, I agree we need 2 or 3. I do disagree with GIVING 50% of the starts to each QB. If they each start 50% of the time due to injury or struggling then thats fine.

I am referring to the Minnesota goalie situation a few years ago with Fernandez & Rolston. They each shared the role no matter how they were playing. It was a toss up come playoffs for then on who should start (but in hockey its a best of 7, not a one shot deal).
Spud387
Champion

chimpy wrote:I agree with this statment , the team needs a number 1 guy to rally around all year, non of this one two combination, but i gurantee it will not happen that way we will be flippen quterbacks all year.
Oh god please don't tell me we agree on something :oops: hahaha.

PS. Spellcheck, I suggest you use it.
LFITQ
Team Captain

This is probably the best news.

It now can set the tone for the rest of next year. We know going into training camp that the #1 job truly is up for grabs (unless we snag a free agent but I have no idea who).

From what I have read Wally has done it right, he is letting DD go due to injuries. Kinda the same way we let Bobby Singh go for missing too many games due to injury, Wally has made the same decision for DD. It can't be overstated what DD did for the team at a time when it needed it most. If you ae bashing Dickenson, remember it was him or Damon Allen, and DD came in like a breath of fresh air in comparison. DD did lots to raise the stock and the profile of the Lions.

I'm stil not counting him out. I am betting that he is going to shop his wares around the league as a player first and see what bites he gets. If he doesn't get what he wants, he may have to re-evaluate and look to see what Wally is offering as far as a potential coaching position may be available.

I do like what one paoster mentioned earlier, that Cortez may become available. We have to remember that we have a few turnovers going on in the coaching ranks right now, so DD may have a few takers as a coach.

Chipmunk in Edmonton is basically cleaning house as everyone he hired last year practically took the fall fo rhim this year.

Tom Higgins is gone in Calgary and Hufnagel will likely want to set up his own staff there, which makes Cortez an option. DD's brother in Calgary may also be looking for work, which could make for an interesting combo, just not sure in what capacity.

Pinball is leaving TO, so they are looking for a new President (Pelley is leaving too), and a new Head Coach and like I said above, a new head coach sometimes means a new coaching staff. Who knows who will survive in TO, and who may come available there too.

Jim Popp may or may not survive a potential culling in Montreal. Based on his previous words, he graded himself really well, but how did his assistants grade out? He may cut a few loose there in order to save his own job.

And let's not forget that Obie is probably heading to Hamilton, although he might not do much his first season as GM there, Taafe and company may be a bit nervous knowing that the weren't his first choice. Could be some short strings there too.

All in all, even with the SMS, it looks like it might be a more interesting off-season this year to watch the coaching shuffle that may take place, as I predict it may be more full of change than the player movement.

This all can bode well for DD if he does in fact decide to try his hand at coaching. There can be lots of opportunity to jump right in at certain points with all of the change going on. Some may even be willing to take him on as QB/Coach if they are desperate enough or believe he still has something to offer coming off the bench. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the QB/Coach position, but in the realm of SMS it might be away to get around it.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
SammyGreene
Team Captain

LU's blog on the development:

http://communities.canada.com/theprovin ... eased.aspx

Interesting to read DD was in TO for Grey Cup week (not really sure why?) when he was already informed the news. LFITQ... said he was introduced at the Lions Den along with the other players who were there for the MOP awards.

I would suggest there is zero chance he comes back under a re-structructed deal. As Blitz, David and others have pointed out... it's time to move on without Buck and JJ looking over their shoulder.

There's no doubt he was one of the leaders on the team and others will have to step up in his absence, starting with Buck and JJ
LFITQ
Team Captain

If DD knew about this a week ago, then he put on a great face to all the fans and was the picture purrfect ambassador for the team.

He gave no indication that something was up and was proudly seen as a Lion all week. Saw him walking around with Geroy (who was conspicuous by his absence from the Lions Den) and Jason Clermont a few times.

If DD knew this was coming and that his and the Lions paths are now differing, you couldn't tell. He was pure class all the way! :rockin:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Power-O-O-O-O
Starter

This was basically inevitable given the fact that gravity of Dickenson's injuries this year.
The team needs to invest in Buck, Jackson, and Gino for the future and having Dickenson around to take reps takes away from the development and readiness of the other QBs.

I wish Dickenson the best, and thank him for all the exciting moments he provided for Lions fans. Dave played with a ton of heart, and the fans will always remember that.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:LU's blog on the development:

http://communities.canada.com/theprovin ... eased.aspx

Interesting to read DD was in TO for Grey Cup week (not really sure why?) when he was already informed the news. LFITQ... said he was introduced at the Lions Den along with the other players who were there for the MOP awards.

I would suggest there is zero chance he comes back under a re-structructed deal. As Blitz, David and others have pointed out... it's time to move on without Buck and JJ looking over their shoulder.

There's no doubt he was one of the leaders on the team and others will have to step up in his absence, starting with Buck and JJ
Hmm....in Toronto eh? *looks around the room* that's a big hint right there.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
No Ka Oi
Starter

I heard a news report of some GC promotion where the six starting CFL QB's not playing in the big game, were there throwing passes to corporate biggies? Perhaps that's why Dave was in TO? But the Lions press release leaves little doubt that Dave is done in BC.
120dB
Legend

the pic of Dave has just been deleted from the Lions website home page
GeeBrr

IMO Dickenson is a picture purrfect candidate to land here in Winnipeg. He would thrive in this system, behind this line, with a back like Roberts, and a group of receivers like ours.

If he goes to Toronto they are basically giving up on Bishop, and I think it would cause quite a bit of drama in the locker room. Conversely, Bishop sucks, and he isn't young either...but Dickenson has at most 1 or 2 years left, if that. Burratto being the OC s probably a lure for him as well however.

I can certainly say I would love to see a QB lineup of Glenn and Dickenson.
120dB
Legend

when can teams start making contract offers to Dave? do they have permission to speak to his agent at this point?
GeeBrr

Smart money would probably be on the Stamps with the Huffnagel, now that think about it.

Hopefully the Bombers can grab Damon Allen
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

He's released from his contract so he is now a free agent and can listen to offers.