Breaking news... Lions release Dickenson

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Spud387
Champion

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote: Excellent point. Is there a veteran guy *cough Maas cough* that could be brought in to help Pierce and Jackson in their developpment without having to bring Dickenson back as 3rd string QB? That extra bit of confidence could be the difference between a great Pierce and Jackson and a Jackson and Pierce that finish last in the league.
Won't happen... unless JJ goes elsewhere. Buono like Gino and thinks he has promise. Thats 3 QBs as it is.
Grinder
Rookie

Finally. This is a good day for the Lions. Didn't it seem Dick was always injured, and of late, always getting sacked. Props for winning the one cup. He's the master of the highly accurate 5 yard toss. There's so many Dick-enson lovers on this site. Finally.
Shaggy
Starter

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:I've always been really impressed with Buono's decision making on who to bring in as QB and other positions (ala Wake) but he seems to fall before the big game, or at least his team. I'm going to take a lot of BS from people on this but think about this; but Wally was 3-3 in Grey Cup games as head coach of Calgary, and that's not even counting however many WDF or WSF he lost.

BC? '04 loss in Grey Cup, '05 loss in WDF after 11-0; '06 GC win; '07 choke in WDF

He's arguably one of if not the best coach in CFL history but it's the post-season that you can never tell with him.

It's just that he can't seem to get the job done - by not having as much motivation as he could? I don't know but it bugs me that in five years with the Lions we have one grey cup win.
If you can give me a GC every five years, I'm happy. Honestly. Every 3 would be better, but it's so hard to repeat and teams go through cycles.
One every 5 years sure beats the 'Riders situation...1st GC since '89.
The best thing is, Wally builds contenders and breeds winning. That was something this franchise was lacking. ( Hated Wally in Calgary, love him now that he's here )
I know where you're coming from, and I'm sure Wally would like a couple mulligans on some of those GC failures, but I'll still take my chances with Wally. :thup:
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Spud387 wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote: Excellent point. Is there a veteran guy *cough Maas cough* that could be brought in to help Pierce and Jackson in their developpment without having to bring Dickenson back as 3rd string QB? That extra bit of confidence could be the difference between a great Pierce and Jackson and a Jackson and Pierce that finish last in the league.
Won't happen... unless JJ goes elsewhere. Buono like Gino and thinks he has promise. Thats 3 QBs as it is.
I meant bring him in as TC guest coach or something (I don't know if Buono and Maas go back, but even a day visit by Jeff Garcia or Doug Flutie would do wonders)....
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
No Ka Oi
Starter

I just the interview with Wally on the Noon news and it sure didn't sound like Dickenson would be back with the Lions, as a player anyways. Wally said they called Dave last week to inform him (he was being released) and he knew this might happen the way his contract was structured...and saying it was due to Dave's injuries that he was released.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Global's feature made it seem like Dickenson is a no go....Wally hinted about him coaching but said they released him because of "some unfortunates in the season"...
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

The_Pauser wrote:I'm a little worried going into the 08 season with Pierce and/or Jackson as our starter though. Pierce has shown to be good in the limited time he's played, but again, we haven't seen enough of him...

Dickenson, while often injured, offered a sense of security that at least we have a proven QB who at times could arguably be called the best in the league.
I take your point. However, as someone pointed out earlier, DD has been mentoring this pair for TWO YEARS now. Surely it is time to cut the apron strings?

By this point, might DD's presence on the bench be a source of insecurity? At some stage, Pierce and Jackson have to grow resentful of looking over their shoulders whenever they have a bad quarter. I think its time to say the future is now and give these two the chance to step up. Of course, if we lose ten games next year, you can bust my chops with this post...

(Sorry to step on your line, Zarquon - I didn't catch the reference till I googled your name! :lol: )
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will
chimpy

I think this is going to be one exciting traning camp coming up in june. probebly the most talked about in years which means probebly more season ticket sales and more hype, way to go with future Wally no dickering with the Quaterback situation. Dickenson good luck in the future and take care of your heath.
QB Club 63
All Star

I would be very surprised to see DD back in a Lions jersey while Wally's still responsible for this team. Having him at training camp as a guest coach, or even full-time QB coach would be a stretch, because I believe he thinks he can still play (can you say Arena Football?). :wink:

I am ready to turn the page on the Dickenson era. I think we could do very well in 2008 with either Buck or Jarious complemented by the current offensive personnel, but I'd really like to see someone brought in as the full-time offensive coordinator (hello Greg Vavra?) to maximize the awesome potential of our people. :yes:
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I am quite surprised at how many fans on here and even some in the media that this is or might be just a contract re-up.

Dave has been released. He will no longer be a qb with the Lions. This seems to be born out of the first news item which just made an assumption that is must be a contract restructure. How does Wally and the Lions move forward by still having him around? They don't, and Wally knows this. I won't say that Dave may not be welcomed back as some type of coach but in my opinion that's only going to be with runners on and not cleats.

I'll assume that Jarious gets signed soon and would be happy with him and buck as an (alternating?) one/two punch. I can live with this.

The one thing that bothers me is that this sick feeling I have now is a huge dose of deja vu in where toronto picks up a discarded DD and beats the Lions in the '08 GC! :shock:
Spud387
Champion

Lionheart wrote: I'll assume that Jarious gets signed soon and would be happy with him and buck as an (alternating?) one/two punch. I can live with this.
NO! I pray we don't alternate QBs. You need 1 starting QB and a viable backup. Having both split the reps, just leads to more controversy in the playoffs. It would be (for example):
- Buck starts
- We are losing Jarious is tossed in
- We still lose
- People claim should have left buck in.

It would be same story all over again (that is if we lose the game). IMO you should have 1 QB that people don't question is your starter and you tough it out with him unless he consistently proves to be not cutting it.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

No spud. We needed 3 qb's this past year and at minimum will need two next year.

There is no controversy with the healthy or hot qb playing.
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

chimpy wrote:I think this is going to be one exciting traning camp coming up in june. probebly the most talked about in years which means probebly more season ticket sales and more hype, way to go with future Wally no dickering with the Quaterback situation. Dickenson good luck in the future and take care of your heath.
Yes, I think we all hope that Dave takes care of his heath. You just can't be too careful with a tract of uncultivated open land covered with herbage and low shrubs. Just ask 'Future Wally', the famous clairvoyant.

For God's sake, man, if you won't use a spellcheck program at least proofread. Ten spelling and grammar errors in one post may be mere inattention, but eleven smacks of carelessness.
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will
chimpy

NO! I pray we don't alternate QBs. You need 1 starting QB and a viable backup. Having both split the reps, just leads to more controversy in the playoffs. It would be (for example):
- Buck starts
- We are losing Jarious is tossed in
- We still lose
- People claim should have left buck in.

It would be same story all over again (that is if we lose the game). IMO you should have 1 QB that people don't question is your starter and you tough it out with him unless he consistently proves to be not cutting it.

I agree with this statment , the team needs a number 1 guy to rally around all year, non of this one two combination, but i gurantee it will not happen that way we will be flippen quterbacks all year.
Spud387
Champion

Lionheart wrote:No spud. We needed 3 qb's this past year and at minimum will need two next year.

There is no controversy with the healthy or hot qb playing.
Please tell me how there won't be controversy if JJ and Buck split the season 50/50 and both deserve to start come playoffs? I feel one of those 2 should earn the starting spot in camp and then be the starter for the season unless they struggle.

There is controversy if the other QB is also healthy and hot.