Crowd Noise

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

go_green
Rookie

"the CFL plans to monitor the crowd noise this weekend and if it's discovered the sound crew of B.C. Place does in fact break any rules by playing canned crowd noise, than the officials will be notified from up in the booth, and a penalty will be assessed against the Lions."

from a media writers blog today, I guess the league plans to monitor it closely this year.
Whether or not it happens, you all are biased, so are Rider fans that say it happens, Ive never been there for a game so I have no clue.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

go_green wrote:"the CFL plans to monitor the crowd noise this weekend and if it's discovered the sound crew of B.C. Place does in fact break any rules by playing canned crowd noise, than the officials will be notified from up in the booth, and a penalty will be assessed against the Lions."

from a media writers blog today, I guess the league plans to monitor it closely this year.
Whether or not it happens, you all are biased, so are Rider fans that say it happens, Ive never been there for a game so I have no clue.
Agreed.
joesports
All Star

go_green wrote:"the CFL plans to monitor the crowd noise this weekend and if it's discovered the sound crew of B.C. Place does in fact break any rules by playing canned crowd noise, than the officials will be notified from up in the booth, and a penalty will be assessed against the Lions."

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
swervin
Rookie

If youve been there for a game you would know there is no need to have canned crowd noise in a domed stadium with 50,000-60,000 fans in it. It gets LOUD. Very, very LOUD.
go_green
Rookie

Lion Guy wrote:

Agreed.
real classy.
Rammer
Team Captain

I will be glad to get that fictious "rumour" out of the way. I can't for the life of me figure why it is even a consideration, given that there are twice as many fans in an enclosed area as Mosaic Stadium provides. I just hope that they give the decibel level that we produce, as the notion of artificial sound will be decimated.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:I will be glad to get that fictious "rumour" out of the way. I can't for the life of me figure why it is even a consideration, given that there are twice as many fans in an enclosed area as Mosaic Stadium provides. I just hope that they give the decibel level that we produce, as the notion of artificial sound will be decimated.
Yeah, that's the silliest part of all this - they COULD crank in the canned noise, and it would be buried FAR below the actual crowd noise.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

Okay, I know I will get it for this, but living in Saskatchewan it is all the more obvious. Why is it that the Riders cry foul about ANYTHING and everybody jumps on a bandwagon to help them out. This is coming across right, I don't know how to put it, but other teams complain about things and the officials/league etc. tells them to suck it up. It's almost like those in charge know that SK won't shut up until everybody caters to their demands. Okay, I'm going to stop here before I say something I regret. I just look forward to them eating a little crow when they realize that it is the fans and the fans alone (yes, the ones they claim we don't have) that make all the noise.
tyty
prospect

I just don't think Rider Nation wants another team's crowd to be more of a story than they are. But the fact is 28,800 just isn't 55,000+ in a domed stadium.

All this talk about artificial noise just screams of insecurity, in my opinion -- that they know their team isn't as good, man-for-man and so now they must resort to accusing the Lions of somehow cheating.

They could have solved this "problem" of having to play at B.C. Place in the playoffs by winning their two home games against the Lions this season. End of story.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I could see the practice being used back in the bleak days when 15000 fans were rattling around in the Dome. Even then the motivation would've been to inject some atmosphere into what was a sterile environment as opposed to trying to make life difficult for the opposition. Now averaging over 32K with most inhabiting the lower bowl there is no need to inject any additional noise for atmosphere or other evil purposes. To do so would be a waste of perfectly good electricity not to mention unnecessary wear and tear on the sound system. There are ironies in this whole debate. On one hand is a group of noisy rabid fans who sit 28800 strong in an outdoor stadium where sound can quickly evaporate into the prairie air. On the other hand is a group of noisy rabid fans who will sit 50000+ strong in a Domed stadium where sound echoes around and cannot escape. Maybe that's why such accusations are always hurled towards teams who play in domed stadia; the echoing effect caused by sound that bounces around and cannot escape gives the false perception that something else is causing some of it. Call me crazy but it seems if there was a place where it would make sense to supplement the real crowd noise by pumping in canned noise it would be the outdoor stadium. Maybe the CFL should be monitoring the outdoor stadiums for this evil tactic because at least it makes sense for them to do it.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Gerry
Legend

go_green wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:

Agreed.
real classy.
What do you expect?

This topic has been beat to death. We're tired of it, and you come to our site to start yet another thread on this? You had to expect to get some grief over it. A Lion fan doing something similar at RF would have gotten banned for it.
Enough is enough.
tyty
prospect

Yeah... exactly!

Think of other stadiums with a teflon roof like B.C. Place -- the Metrodome in Minneapolis, the RCA Dome in Indianapolis, the Pontiac Silverdome, etc.

Crowd noise is just as much of an issue in those facilities, so there. And as I've said before, I think it wouldn't be too hard to tell if canned noise was being pumped through the sound system -- especially given how HORRIBLE anything coming out of those speakers sounds!
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Gerry wrote:
go_green wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:
Agreed.
real classy.
What do you expect?

This topic has been beat to death. We're tired of it, and you come to our site to start yet another thread on this? You had to expect to get some grief over it. A Lion fan doing something similar at RF would have gotten banned for it.
Exactly. The excuses have piled up sufficiently enough now.

If the Riders lose it is because

1. Canned Noise
2. Murphy and Jimenez are dirty
3. Canned Noise
4. Jimenez broke a Stampeder's leg
5. Wally is arrogant
6. Canned noise
7. Injuries
8. We have a dirty team
9. Canned noise.
10 Canned noise

Enough, play, lose and go back home for nice long winter hibernation.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Good luck Sunday, Rider Troll # 4,341.
Disturber
Champion

That just sums it up:

A Rider fan comes on to our board and says he HAS NO CLUE.
Go Lions!