Doug Flutie defends CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Flutie waves the Canadian flag

Worried about Bills playing in Toronto

CanWest News Service
Published: Wednesday, October 31, 2007

TORONTO -- Not every U.S. citizen feels the prospect of an NFL franchise playing in Toronto on a permanent basis is a good idea.

But Doug Flutie admits he has a special bond with Canada from his days terrorizing CFL defences as a quarterback for the Lions, Calgary Stampeders and Toronto Argonauts.

"A lot people in the States thought I was Canadian, the way I waved the flag for Canada," Flutie said.

And he was still doing the same thing for Canada last week after he had become the first American to be inducted into the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame.

Despite the belief of the Buffalo Bills that Toronto is more economically viable, which has fuelled their push to play games north of the border in the future, Flutie isn't so sure there's enough money to support both the NFL and the Argos.

"It would have a definite negative effect on the Argos," said Flutie, now an ABC college football analyst.

"I don't know if this city could afford an NFL franchise on a year-round basis. A game or two here and there? Yeah, we would all jump on the bandwagon. It's a blast. But week-in and week-out? That's an expensive ticket.

"For it to be a success, that place would have to be sold out every week, not just for an exhibition game once or twice a year.

"It could happen. But I love the CFL, and I wouldn't want to see it leave Toronto."

The NFL has said the Bills' plan is a necessary step to enhance its brand in southern Ontario and secure its long-term viability in western New York. Skeptics, however, suggest this is the first step in an eventual relocation by Buffalo.

"To bring a franchise here, just give it some consideration before you do something like that because you're probably displacing a legacy of Argonauts football.

"If [the Argos and the NFL] played head-to-head, as much as Canadians love what is Canadian, there is an infatuation here also with the NFL. I think if you put a dent in the franchise in Toronto, it would hurt the [CFL] overall."
pigskinpatriot
Starter

I really don't think he could have possibly been the first American inducted into the Canadian Football Hall Of Fame...........?
"The C.F.L. will be dead in three years " My uncle , June, 1990 .
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

pigskinpatriot wrote:I really don't think he could have possibly been the first American inducted into the Canadian Football Hall Of Fame...........?
He wasn't, the article mentions his recent induction into the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Dan Russell
Legend

Americans in the Canadian Hall of Fame, Tsk Tsk. :no:
What next?
pigskinpatriot
Starter

good call.............my bad.
"The C.F.L. will be dead in three years " My uncle , June, 1990 .
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Dan Russell wrote:Americans in the Canadian Hall of Fame, Tsk Tsk. :no:
What next?
Saskatchewan in the Grey Cup?
Dan Russell
Legend

No Ordinary Joe wrote:
Dan Russell wrote:Americans in the Canadian Hall of Fame, Tsk Tsk. :no:
What next?
Saskatchewan in the Grey Cup?
Just as wild.