There's never a "no hope" situation...

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

rb
Champion

in football, or in life.

Stanford, a 41-POINT UNDERDOG... has defeated USC.

Something to remember when things are looking bleak. There's always a chance.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

41 point underdog ? Holy moley, what were the "experts" thinking ?
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Well, USC can kiss their hopes of a National Championship goodbye now. That's inexcusable.
nelson95
Legend

Yeah but who wouldn't take a 41 pt spread?
Congrats smart school vs ....
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

It's not as if though upsets don't happen occasionally in football or any sport for that matter. What's the big deal and what's with all the hype over a regular season game?

If Mount Allison upset Saint Mary's
If Simon Fraser upset Manitoba
If Toronto upset Laurier
If McGill upset Laval

Will the CIS football upset make the front page of every Canadian newspaper? I think not.
Tighthead
Legend

Robbie wrote::sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

It's not as if though upsets don't happen occasionally in football or any sport for that matter. What's the big deal and what's with all the hype over a regular season game?

If Mount Allison upset Saint Mary's
If Simon Fraser upset Manitoba
If Toronto upset Laurier
If McGill upset Laval

Will the CIS football upset make the front page of every Canadian newspaper? I think not.
A 41 point upset, on the road, is a big deal. Do you really think that isn't news?

A CIS football upset would not make the front page of every Canadian paper because it isn't that popular. Does that surprise you?

It seems like any NFL or NCAA post is automatically bashed.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:A 41 point upset, on the road, is a big deal. Do you really think that isn't news?
But who are those who set the points? Regardless of the points, upsets happen now and then. No, it doesn't surprise me and it shouldn't be that big news. At least not nearly to the same extent as the media portrays it.
A CIS football upset would not make the front page of every Canadian paper because it isn't that popular. Does that surprise you?
Well, I've stated in other threads that I feel CIS should be just as popular in Canada as American college football is in America.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

We've had several discussions comparing CIS and NCAA sports in these threads:

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=6961

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=7168

From a personal level, I treat both CIS and NCAA sports on the same level. I've been a student at both UBC and the University of Washington, and I'd be just as happy and proud for the UBC Thunderbirds if they won the Vanier Cup as I would be if the UW Huskies won the Rose Bowl. Likewise, if I think the occasional upset in the CFL, CIS, or NFL football is not that big of a deal or too surprising, then neither is an upset in NCAA football.
Tighthead
Legend

Robbie wrote:We've had several discussions comparing CIS and NCAA sports in these threads:

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=6961

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=7168

From a personal level, I treat both CIS and NCAA sports on the same level. I've been a student at both UBC and the University of Washington, and I'd be just as happy and proud for the UBC Thunderbirds if they won the Vanier Cup as I would be if the UW Huskies won the Rose Bowl. Likewise, if I think the occasional upset in the CFL, CIS, or NFL football is not that big of a deal or too surprising, then neither is an upset in NCAA football.
You are extrapolating your personal opinion to the general population. I think rugby is a better sport that hockey - should Rugby Night in Canada be on tonight? How you or I treat things is irrelevant outside of our own households.

The NCAA is somewhat different than those other sports because you had a team ranked about #100 beating #2. You are of course entiltled to your opinion. You think an upset in all sports are the same. You can say it is not that big a deal, but again you are projecting your personal opinion and expecting the rest of the population to follow suit.