Crowd noise

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

while I believe that most of the time it isn't happening, the penalties that have happened show it does.
And the 2 penalties that happened in the same game last yr early in the season were when the moron let the music keep playing. not exactly a covert way of pumping in crowd noise.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
joesports
All Star

Yank In BC wrote:
while I believe that most of the time it isn't happening, the penalties that have happened show it does.
And the 2 penalties that happened in the same game last yr early in the season were when the moron let the music keep playing. not exactly a covert way of pumping in crowd noise.
:thup:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:while I believe that most of the time it isn't happening, the penalties that have happened show it does.

No offence to Ms Graham, but she will deny noise is pumped through the system even if it is, it would be foolish for someone in her position to say otherwise (she'd be out of a job to conffirm that noise was artificially pumped)
Actually I believe the reason we were penalised in the instances I referred to above was NOT for pumping in fake crowd noise (which hasn't been done in years, even if it all -- and certainly not in the Buono era) but for keeping the "Fan-o-meter" displayed on the main video screen after the opponent's offence has broken huddle. It's a silent animated graphic -- purportedly a decibel measuring device -- that encourages fans to bury its needle with their OWN noise. As I said in that previous post, the penalty was for "Illegal Use of Electronic Equipment", not "Illegal Use of Fake Crowd Noise".
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:
Rammer wrote:
joesports wrote:

I knew that we didn't pump in fake noise...can't believe how some myths never die. It's annoying how it's stated as a fact on other teams' fan boards. :roll: At the moment, there is a thread on the Riders site about how to deal with the noise in the Dome since we "cheat" here.
They will need to know, but won't be able to do anything about it when they come for the WDF. I sometimes prefer to enhance the myth, it is an intimidating factor and another concern for the opposition.

No offence to Ms Graham, but she will deny noise is pumped through the system even if it is, it would be foolish for someone in her position to say otherwise (she'd be out of a job to conffirm that noise was artificially pumped)
Very nice. Gosh, no offense Ms. Graham but I'm going to go ahead and call you a liar. And I don't blame you for being a liar. You must lie to protect your paycheque.

Please. :sigh: :roll:
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Quote from the on-line Regina Leader post...some doufus named Vanstone and his "Robservations"

" Why, oh why, does the public-address system at Mosaic Stadium have to be blaring throughout the game? The incessant clatter ends up stifling crowd noise, because it is often impossible for the spectators to be heard over the junk that is piped through the speakers. MUTE. "

Hmmmmmm......those nasty dirty Sakatchewan guys....

:wag:
wildthing
All Star

Lions4ever wrote:
Very nice. Gosh, no offense Ms. Graham but I'm going to go ahead and call you a liar. And I don't blame you for being a liar. You must lie to protect your paycheque.

are you honestly naive enough to believe that if she was breaking the league rules about noise that she would tell you? :roll:
Rammer
Team Captain

wildthing wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:

are you honestly naive enough to believe that if she was breaking the league rules about noise that she would tell you? :roll:
Actually what we do believe is that Ms. Graham would not bother to post at all on the subject, rather than come on an internet board and outright lie about the circumstances as you are implying.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:

For God's sakes, just because it's NOT the Rider organization or NOT a Rider fan saying it, that it MUST be a lie??

Unbelievable !! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
Lloyd
CMAC
Rookie

Ya,i agree with joesports,sometimes I wish announcer guy would shut up,just rock the music,lets us REV IT UP !!! :beer:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:

I'm a lot of things Cupcake. Naive ain't one of them.
wildthing
All Star

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
wildthing wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:

For God's sakes, just because it's NOT the Rider organization or NOT a Rider fan saying it, that it MUST be a lie??

Unbelievable !! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
actually I don't believe everything the Rider organization tells me either.
wildthing
All Star

food for thought on the noise subject.

Rod is a pretty credible sports guy accross the country, I do find it odd that the testing of the system would be done with crowd noise, as it does create some doubt.

http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/

My take: Under CFL rules, BC Place Stadium and the Lions should be flagged for playing fake crowd noise over their sound system when the visitors break huddle and get set. The only thing now is we have to prove they actually do it. Last year on the day before the WDF, they actually played a 5-second clip of it in the empty stadium. But again, how do you notify the CFL and prove it?
Rammer
Team Captain

wildthing wrote:food for thought on the noise subject.

Rod is a pretty credible sports guy accross the country, I do find it odd that the testing of the system would be done with crowd noise, as it does create some doubt.

My take: Under CFL rules, BC Place Stadium and the Lions should be flagged for playing fake crowd noise over their sound system when the visitors break huddle and get set. The only thing now is we have to prove they actually do it. Last year on the day before the WDF, they actually played a 5-second clip of it in the empty stadium. But again, how do you notify the CFL and prove it?
The Lions practice under the crowd noise situations just like the Riders do inside their Agrodome (IIRC) to prepare for BC Place and the fan noise that we will inflict. Each team has it, but as has been stated over and over, the Lions do not use this on game day. If you want to continue to believe it, fine with me, as it is an intimidating factor as seen by KJ last WDF.
wildthing
All Star

Rammer wrote:

The Lions practice under the crowd noise situations just like the Riders do inside their Agrodome (IIRC) to prepare for BC Place and the fan noise that we will inflict. Each team has it, but as has been stated over and over, the Lions do not use this on game day. If you want to continue to believe it, fine with me, as it is an intimidating factor as seen by KJ last WDF.
more just food for thought, no where does Rod mention a practice going on, but an empty stadium. does it equate to being done during the game no, but it definitely makes one wonder. we are talking an empty BC place not the Leos practice at Argodome. I know all teams prepare for the dome with loud sounds, is it crowd noise, I do not know, I do know riders historically practice with loud music not crowd noise.
Rammer
Team Captain

wildthing wrote:
Rammer wrote:

more just food for thought, no where does Rod mention a practice going on, but an empty stadium. does it equate to being done during the game no, but it definitely makes one wonder. we are talking an empty BC place not the Leos practice at Argodome. I know all teams prepare for the dome with loud sounds, is it crowd noise, I do not know, I do know riders historically practice with loud music not crowd noise.
I guess it is much easier for the Lions to acquire fan noise than it is for the Riders.