Steve Downie hit on McAmmond

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

Downie phoned and gave an apology to McAmmond, which he accepted. McAmmond was quoted saying "I just said thanks for the call and I'm going to choose to believe that he is sincere about it," "The timing of this whole hit couldn't be better. We watched a video on blows to the head in training camp," He does want a suspension to be issued though. I agree that a suspension should be given, but i don't agree that the hit was ok.
[youtube][/youtube]
What do u guys think?
Lets Go Lions!
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

SOMEBODY GOT OWNED lol. seriously tho he should be suspended for half of the season
2012 Season Ticket Holder
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Cheap hit, no doubt about it. Somebody's going to get killed or maimed one day.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Yes it was a bad hit but the only thing I can see wrong with it is the fact that Downie LEAPS at him. He stays on his feet and the hit is clean.

Downie stopped skating to glide into McAmmond then jumps up (I still don't understand why players do this as you can take yourself right out of the play then, but that is a different thread). McAmmond turns his head to admire his pass which he made at the last minute behind the net on the opposite goal post. Downie nails him.

To say it was late is wrong because of the way the pass was done, there is no way Downie could tell he made the pass.

He should get fined and suspended because they need to take the jumping to hit someone out of the game. That is cheap, stupid and can seriously hurt someone. I'm actually surprised there haven't been more cuts from jumping hits. You hit someone while jumping they go down, your skate then lands on them cutting them open. There is no need for that whatsoever.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

LFITQ wrote:Yes it was a bad hit but the only thing I can see wrong with it is the fact that Downie LEAPS at him. He stays on his feet and the hit is clean.

Downie stopped skating to glide into McAmmond then jumps up (I still don't understand why players do this as you can take yourself right out of the play then, but that is a different thread). McAmmond turns his head to admire his pass which he made at the last minute behind the net on the opposite goal post. Downie nails him.

To say it was late is wrong because of the way the pass was done, there is no way Downie could tell he made the pass.

He should get fined and suspended because they need to take the jumping to hit someone out of the game. That is cheap, stupid and can seriously hurt someone. I'm actually surprised there haven't been more cuts from jumping hits. You hit someone while jumping they go down, your skate then lands on them cutting them open. There is no need for that whatsoever.
He watches him making the pass. I agree the timing is not that late, but he leads with the elbow as well as leaving his feet.
Lets Go Lions!
CartWheelFan
All Star

If they want hits like this out of the game then they have to hand out suspensions and fines for EVERY hit to the head. I'm a huge hockey fan, and I love the physical way my team (the Flames) play. And while I'm not trying to let Downie off the hook at all, I just fail to see how suspending him, and doing nothing in the aftermath of the hit on Roy during the Canucks/Oilers game sends any kind of message to players? I guess they base a players punishment on how bad the hit looks on TV??

Let's nip this headhunting thing now, I don't want to see any more stretchers on the ice this year (unless it's for Pronger, or Matt Cooke, because that guy's gotta know someone is gonna knock his block off someday!)