Bigger nets for the NHL? Luongo would retire ...

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Luongo vows to quit over bigger nets

Dale Oviatt, CanWest News Service

Published: Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Should the National Hockey League make a move toward bigger nets, one of the league's elite goaltenders would call it quits.

Vancouver stopper Roberto Luongo told an NHL conference call Tuesday that he has no desire to play in a league with larger nets.

"If that day comes, I don't think you guys will be seeing me in the NHL," he said.

I have no intentions of playing with bigger nets."

Asked if he'd retire, he replied "Yeah."

The NHL first discussed the idea of larger nets two years ago, when players and league executives met to debate ways of increasing scoring and opening up the game.

The topic was revisited briefly in June when general managers met in Ottawa.

Luongo, who is entering his eighth NHL season, admits defending the net is different than it was in years past.

"The way the goalies play the game has changed," he said. "Also, the shooters did not have synergy sticks back in the day. It all evolves with time.

"Definitely the game is different today and that's why we see goalies needing a bit more protection and being better goaltenders and better athletes."

The 28-year-old set a Vancouver franchise record last season, appearing in 76 games. He posted a 47-22-6 record with a 2.29 goals-against average in guiding the Canucks to first place in the Northwest Division.

He finished second to Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby in voting for the Hart Trophy as the league's most valuable player.

In the post-season, Luongo was solid in leading the Canucks to a seven-game series victory over Dallas in the first round of the playoffs.

In his playoff debut in Game 1 against Dallas, he stopped 72 of 76 shots in a 5-4 quadruple overtime victory.

The Canucks then fell in five games to the Anaheim Ducks in the Western Conference semifinals.

Luongo knows that with last season's success comes high expectations this time around.

"I think we want to take it to the next level. As far as the team is concerned, we were proud of what we accomplished last year because not a lot of people put us in that situation," he said.

"Now that we've been there, we've had a taste of it. We want to take the next step, which would be obviously trying to win the Stanley Cup. We know there's a lot of hard work to be done.

"We're in a tough division. At the same time, we know that we have the capability as far as talent in the locker-room and the character to do it."
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... 7edb1&k=74
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ain't gonna happen.

The NHL would be nuts to do that.

And I expect Luongo would play anyway.

I would have to say he is the best goaltender I have ever seen.

Dryden, Roy, Brodeur ... all excellent, but my vote is for Luuuuuongoooooo
GeroySimonFAN
All Star

hey wheres the love for grant fuhr, that guy was awesome too..in his day!
chimpy

they will not go bigger because roberto is not the only golie in the league, that would say he would retire.
Charlene

GeroySimonFAN wrote:hey wheres the love for grant fuhr, that guy was awesome too..in his day!
before the hookers and blow.

This whole business of making nets bigger is ridiculous. Scoring should be a challenge, it shouldn't be easy...what's the fun in that? Does it make a difference if the score is 9-7 or 3-1? Not really. Sure, scoring is exciting...but in the end, the same team is going to win. The players are still going to get paid bajillions, and the fans of the winning team are going to go home just as happy!
GeroySimonFAN
All Star

well if the nets were bigger then maybe the Canucks could actually put the puck in the net lol...i think we are going to see a lot of low scoring games again this year with the Canucks...a lot of 2-1, 3-2 games.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Charlene wrote:
GeroySimonFAN wrote:hey wheres the love for grant fuhr, that guy was awesome too..in his day!
before the hookers and blow.

This whole business of making nets bigger is ridiculous. Scoring should be a challenge, it shouldn't be easy...what's the fun in that? Does it make a difference if the score is 9-7 or 3-1? Not really. Sure, scoring is exciting...but in the end, the same team is going to win. The players are still going to get paid bajillions, and the fans of the winning team are going to go home just as happy!
By the larger-nets-means-more-scoring logic, the CFL should make the field 40 yards long with 60-yard-deep end zones. Think of how many more touchdowns you'd have! Think of all the field goals! No more punting! Scoring scoring and more scoring, woo hoo!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

He has stuck to his words, saw another video yesterday. I don't think the NHL will go to bigger nets, niether do i want them to, especially if he sticks to his words!!!
Lets Go Lions!