What do you think of this explanation from CBC re blackout ?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

It was Casey Printers and David Beckham's fault.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I blame Murray Pezim!
smphantom
Legend

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:and btw, satellite is substantially cheaper than cable (hardware)...programming prices are only somewhat less expensive.....make the switch!! :wink: :wink:
I have been considering it for some time, as I despise Shaw's frequent price hikes. We will have to have a chin-wag at a TG about it - bring me some literature on prices/packages etc.?
Stay thirsty my friends.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:CBC simply blacked out their entire CBC Pacific feed....which is what Shaw receives on their analog/digital BC feed. Satellite subs receive multiple CBC feeds which are accessible based upon your postal code listing....:
If that's the case how did Prince George get the game on their normal local CBC provider CKPG as delivered by the good old-fashioned regular Shaw cable feed?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Prince George (CKPG) receives the CBC NORTH feed....not the reg Pacific feed (CBUT)
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
120dB
Legend

Then the right thing for Ackles to do is lift the blackout for the next home game vs. Calgary
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

120dB wrote:Then the right thing for Ackles to do is lift the blackout for the next home game vs. Calgary
What would be the point in doing that though? The people who would have been affected by the blackout against the Argos would see the game normally regardless of whether or not the blackout is lifted in the Vancouver area or not. People in Vancouver should be used to having games blacked out by now and the team has already reached their two game quota for this season. Lifting the blackout against the Stamps does nothing to appease the people who were unable to see the Argos game.
swervin
Rookie

LFITQ wrote: I have an issue with Shaw cable supposedly not being able to do the blackout in just the stated area as per usual.

Just one more reason to switch to satellite. Cable sucks.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

swervin wrote:
LFITQ wrote: I have an issue with Shaw cable supposedly not being able to do the blackout in just the stated area as per usual.

Yeah, that's what my buddy with satellite keeps telling me... in between cursing at the signal dropping out every time the weather gets nasty (and he's in the Ottawa area, so when it gets nasty, it gets NAAASSS-TEEE!)

Then again, this is the same guy who tried to advise me when I was shopping for a laptop...

"You should get a Compaq, they're the best."
"Oh really? Where's yours?"
"Um, in for repair. AGAIN."
"Right."

Anyway, seems it's already been clarified that the problem was NOT with Shaw in this case.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

For what it's worth now, Here's what I heard back from the Lions:
Dear Kim,

Yes, you are correct in that all home games are blacked out locally, unless
otherwise specified.

We can appreciate your frustration because you were unable to watch the game
on Saturday. Please know that there was a technical problem with Shaw
cable's blackout mapping system from which the end result was the game being
blacked out throughout the entire province on Shaw Cable. Customers on Bell
ExpressVu or Delta Cable outside of the regional blackout area did receive
the game broadcast. We do not anticipate this being a problem in future, and
apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you for your support of the BC Lions Football Club. We trust you will
enjoy the rest of the season.

Sincerely,

Terri Breker
Marketing Services Manager
BC Lions Football Club
(604) 661-3627 direct
tbreker@bclions.com
For the record, out of four parties written to, the Lions are the only ones who responded.
Real women wear orange!!
Sharpo

Soundy wrote:
swervin wrote:

Yeah, that's what my buddy with satellite keeps telling me... in between cursing at the signal dropping out every time the weather gets nasty (and he's in the Ottawa area, so when it gets nasty, it gets NAAASSS-TEEE!)

Then again, this is the same guy who tried to advise me when I was shopping for a laptop...

"Right."

Anyway, seems it's already been clarified that the problem was NOT with Shaw in this case.
for what its worth, the compaq extended warranties are amazing
Dropping them down the stairs "uhhh it didn't turn on" "Okay, send it in for repair or we will replace it with a newer model. :)
swervin
Rookie

Soundy wrote:
swervin wrote:

"Right."

Dont write off satellite because your friend is clueless. It truely is better. The only thing cable has over satellite right now is the "On Demand" feature (not sure if its available in Canada) and its only a matter of time before satellite technology allows that.
For the record ive had satellite for about 5 or 6 years now and ive had FAR less problems with outages than i did with cable. There are ways to optimise your reception/signal strength through positioning and covers that keep the snow off of them.
Rammer
Team Captain

Snow? :shock: :wink:
Entertainment value = an all time low
LFITQ
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Snow? :shock: :wink:
yes snow. It will become all too much of a reality for me shortly. Heck I've already had to scrape my windsheild twice in that past 2 weeks.

Almost time to find the extension chords for the block heaters.... :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
smphantom
Legend

LFITQ wrote:
Rammer wrote:Snow? :shock: :wink:
yes snow. It will become all too much of a reality for me shortly. Heck I've already had to scrape my windsheild twice in that past 2 weeks.

Almost time to find the extension chords for the block heaters.... :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
At least folks there (and here in Kamloops) know how to drive in it!
Stay thirsty my friends.