Playing Center in the NFL - Article in the New York Times

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Interesting article about the importance of the center in calling blocking assignments, etc.

We have been blessed with the BC Lions over the years: Al Wilson, Jamie Taras, Angus Reid.

Like the quarterback, centers need more than just physical skills. They need to play a very cerebral game and communicate a lot of information during a game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/sport ... nted=print

September 2, 2007 N.F.L. 2007 Preview

As Line’s Choreographer, Center Holds Key to Success

By CLIFTON BROWN

Crouched and holding a football between his legs, a center in the N.F.L. faces crucial split-second decisions before each snap.

What formation is the defense in? Is the line about to stunt? Is a blitz coming? Where will it come from? Do I need to change our blocking assignments?

Those questions and many others race through the mind of a center, who plays the most cerebral offensive line position. He is the choreographer of the line, giving verbal and nonverbal commands that determine his team’s blocking schemes. It takes a strong personality to play the position, because when a center makes a mental mistake, a defender can be left unblocked, leading to a quarterback or a running back being smashed in the backfield.

It is not a coincidence that last season’s Super Bowl teams had a Pro Bowl center — Jeff Saturday of the Indianapolis Colts and Olin Kreutz of the Chicago Bears. Many fans do not appreciate a center’s importance. Teammates and coaches do.

“To play center, you have to be mentally tough, able to handle stress and able to handle a lot of multitasking,â€
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Al Wilson

Jamie Taras

Angus Reid

That is quite a legacy we have of centers who have played for the BC Lions.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

But with Jamie Taras, I think most people remember him more as a guard than as a center. For the Lions all-time dream team, he was selected as a guard.

What do you think of Lions centers:

Ian Hagemoen, who was center during the 1964 Grey Cup win?
Ian Sinclair, who served as center for 11 seasons and played 180 games with the team?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Oh yes, I was quick in writing down the first 3 names and the list is too short.

I would also add Gary Schwertfeger. I was looking at the film of the 1964 Grey Cup win by the Lions. Schwertfeger blew huge holes in the middle of the Ticats defense.

When I started coaching junior high school football he was the head coach of the senior team.