UFC 74

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

No Ordinary Joe
Legend

So stoked for this tomorrow night. It's been way too long between PPVs (UFC 73 was on July 7th!!!!) Anybody else going to be watching this?

Main Event – UFC Heavyweight Championship
Randy Couture vs Gabriel Gonzaga

Georges St. Pierre vs Josh Koscheck
Joe Stevenson vs Kurt Pellegrino
Kendall Grove vs Patrick Cote
Roger Huerta vs Alberto Crane

David Heath vs Renato ‘Babalu’ Sobral
Frank Mir vs Antoni Hardonk
Thales Leites vs Ryan Jensen
Marcus Aurelio vs Clay Guida
Rick James
Legend

Ill be at The Great Bear watching this.An anticipated card to be sure.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It's kind of like watching a car crash ... fascinating in a morbid way.

When I was a teenager I boxed for the school team for a while. I was OK at it, but even if you land more shots than your opponent, you still take lots of hits. When I see it on TV now, I just shake my head at how some people make a living. Boxing is a brutal sport, but it has nothing on UFC for scary hits. Elbows, knees, feet, choke holds, arm dislocations, Ugghhh.

Those guys are sure to have health issues before middle age.

Mama, don't let your sons grow up to be UFC fighters. They are the modern day gladiators. Whatever arena they are in is the Coliseum.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Those guys are sure to have health issues before middle age.
Unless they're named Randy Couture.
darnellclash
Starter

Good show last night - did anyone notice that huge blood stain in the middle of the ring...I figured it was from the early fights prior to the pay per view coverage that they usually show after the main event...tonight there was only one undercard fight shown after - I wonder if someone got cut so bad that they decided not to air it.
It is what it is.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

It was David Heath's blood all over the ring courtesy of Babalu. Apparently, David Heath really insulted Babalu by talking a lot of trash prior to the fight and by coming out wearing a t-shirt with Babalu's mug shot on it from his recent arrest. Babalu took exception and made an example out of him by pounding him out and then choking him out with an anaconda that he apparently held onto a few seconds after Heath had tapped out which forced the ref to shove Babalu off of him. Babalu has apparently been fined $25K because of it but that hasn't been confirmed.
pinkfreud

Huerta was fierce. I loved the way he was nailing Crane at the end when Crane was behind him, watching the monitor to gauge where to elbow him. Easy on the eyes too. Ola. 8)
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Wow! Pink, I had no idea you were into UFC, that's wicked!

Last night's card was one of the best that I've seen in months. It was great to see GSP dominate Koscheck at his own game after all the trash that Koschecked talked prior to the fight. I would have liked to see him KO him, but watching out out-wrestle him for 15 minutes was much more satisfying.

Randy Couture is the freaking MAN! I predicted him to win despite all the experts saying that Gonzaga was the favorite etc. After the Sylvia fight I'm done with counting that man out, he's a machine. Can't wait to see him fight Cro Cop next. (assuming Cro Cop beats Kongo next month).

Stevenson and Pellegrino had a great fight and proved that you don't need to have a massive KO or tons of blood to have an entertaining fight. Fight of the night if you ask me, watching both of those guys work for subs or reverse position for 3 rounds was a treat. Sucks that one of them had to lose it was a pretty even match for the most part.

Huerta was definitely impressive and I loved the monitor watching too.

So happy for Patrick Cote. He's seriously underrated. His record outside the UFC is very strong and he's basically been the victim of some bad luck in his UFC stint, that was a much needed win for him and hopefully some people will take him seriously considering the name recognition of a guy like Kendall Grove. (who IMO is overrated despite winning TUF 3).
pinkfreud

Actually, I'd never heard of it before last night. They cut the Montreal/Hamilton game to go to it when we were in the bar.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

pinkfreud wrote:Actually, I'd never heard of it before last night. They cut the Montreal/Hamilton game to go to it when we were in the bar.
:? :x thats mean!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Dan_Payne_fan!! wrote:
pinkfreud wrote:Actually, I'd never heard of it before last night. They cut the Montreal/Hamilton game to go to it when we were in the bar.
Considering last night's game was rather lopsided, I can see why the bar switched to UFC.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Canuck_4_Life wrote:
Dan_Payne_fan!! wrote:
Considering last night's game was rather lopsided, I can see why the bar switched to UFC.
That and the fact that most bars do big business on the nights a UFC PPV is on.
O'Shea

WestCoastJoe wrote:It's kind of like watching a car crash ... fascinating in a morbid way.
:whs: It was rather gross when Couture was covered in the other guys blood.

We were personally trying to play NTN... but the noise all the guys were making was distracting... that and every TV save for the one we were using for Trivia was tuned into UFC. :roll:

But Huerta was mucho caliente!!! :twisted:
lion24
Legend

With there being women's boxing, when does the UFC women's division start? Would it ever seriously happen..........without oil, mud, Jello etc. being in the ring 8) ??
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP