Nohra and White Released

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Not a huge surprise, but an interesting move none the less.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

We also signed DE Sasha Lancaster. This guy's no spring chicken at 28.

http://www.nfleurope.com/players/playerpage/1097

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not a major surprise. George White was picked up last season as insurance.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

David wrote:We also signed DE Sasha Lancaster. This guy's no spring chicken at 28.

http://www.nfleurope.com/players/playerpage/1097

DH 8)
I noticed he played with Aaron Hunt in NFL Europe.......probably how he found his way to the Lions (much like Rob Murphy's connection to Brent Johnson).
Lloyd
b_raunchy

I don't understand why they released Nohra?

I thought he looked good on special teams last year, ran the ball well when given an opportunity, blocked well, and was a versatile football player all around.

At least it seems they are handing the role off to another UBC product...
Rammer
Team Captain

b_raunchy wrote:I don't understand why they released Nohra?

I thought he looked good on special teams last year, ran the ball well when given an opportunity, blocked well, and was a versatile football player all around.

Potentially the Lions are handing it off to Ciezki, but they also showed interest in acquiring proven ST talent in Hathaway and now Yeow seems to be of interest, albeit as a LB/ST.

Does anyone really expect Ciezki to be on the roster by the time camp finishes? After seeing his running at the CIS level, he has to improve upon his running form IMO, something that can be worked on, but I would have expected him to do so earlier in his career than now.
Entertainment value = an all time low
OV - 54:40
Champion

Rammer wrote:
b_raunchy wrote:I don't understand why they released Nohra?

Potentially the Lions are handing it off to Ciezki, but they also showed interest in acquiring proven ST talent in Hathaway and now Yeow seems to be of interest, albeit as a LB/ST.

Does anyone really expect Ciezki to be on the roster by the time camp finishes? After seeing his running at the CIS level, he has to improve upon his running form IMO, something that can be worked on, but I would have expected him to do so earlier in his career than now.
Ciezki averaged over 9 yards carry playing for UBC last year - that is superb RB production (Lumsden averaged just over 10 a pop in his big Hec winning year, but it's usually conceded that there are some weaker Ds in the OUA as opposed to CanWest); Ciezki is also, i believe i read, the only RB in the history of Junior ball to have 3 straight 1000 yd. seasons; not sure how you're supposed to improve on those numbers? - i guess you figure there is some flaw in his running form - been said about lots of great backs (Lumsden runs too "upright" for example) just like other players have been written off for not having good testing measureables or too small (that "midget" Doug Flutie supposedly didn't have it for the pros); I'm more impressed by players who make lots of plays on the football field, regardless of their size or form.
Ciezki will probably have to play very strong & tough on special teams or be a good blocking back anyways to make the roster; his ball carrying ability will likely have little to do with it - he'll probably be pencilled in way down the depth chart as an option as a ball carrier. Probably a long-shot to make the team but he could surprise with a great camp.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Let's hope the Lions make better use of their running backs instead of converting them strictly into blocking backs.