Lion sightings

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

In today's National Post crossword puzzle:

8 down, 12 letters: placekicker for the BC Lions
19 down, 12 letters: defensive lineman for the BC Lions
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
CB123
Legend

8 down, 12 letters: placekicker for the BC Lions
hummm... thats sure a toughie lol
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Let me guess: P a u l M c C A L L U M ?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:19 down, 12 letters: defensive lineman for the BC Lions
This is rather easy too. Just go with the first defensive lineman that will come into mind for most Lions fans.
P a u l M c C A L L U M
Although it never confused me, were any of you confused as to whether he spelled his name McCallum or MacCallum?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:
P a u l M c C A L L U M
Although it never confused me, were any of you confused as to whether he spelled his name McCallum or MacCallum?
The first name that occurred to me was Lui Passaglia (also 12 letters). I later realized that Paul McCallum would also fit
CB123
Legend

The first name that occurred to me was Lui Passaglia (also 12 letters).
same
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Robbie wrote:
P a u l M c C A L L U M
The first name that occurred to me was Lui Passaglia (also 12 letters). I later realized that Paul McCallum would also fit
Actually it's not uncommon for athletes' names to come up in the NP's xwords lately but I've noticed they default to active players and will state if the player in question is no longer with the named team. So the clues I quoted refer to incumbents.

Since there were twelve letters I got tripped up on whether it was McCallum or Macallum. Rather than look it up, I decided to make it interesting by solving the intersector with its discriminating third letter: six letter word for "rope for tying up ship's gear", which naturally* :lol: is "becket". So, McCallum it is.

*A crossword puzzle dictionary can be a good thing.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It's McCallum. Since Robbie is so fond of posting link:

http://www.bclions.com/index.php?module ... iew&team=1
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:It's McCallum. Since Robbie is so fond of posting link:

http://www.bclions.com/index.php?module ... iew&team=1
Yes, but I was just asking if any of you were ever confused by the spelling of his name without having to look it up?

I believe another name that might often be misspelled is Dickenson. I'm sure people have misspelled Dave's last name as Dickinson, Dickinsen, Dickonson, Dickonsen, or Dickensen.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No to both questions.